The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

MAIN AIM AT GOODWOOD

Home Forums Horse Racing MAIN AIM AT GOODWOOD

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

What sort of ride was that? He must have laid the nag himself on Betfair…

Grimly Feendish
    • Total Posts 2

Stout, interviewed on CH4, after the HARBINGER win, said MAIN AIM was "too short" to back at this race, and then laughed as he went off camera. Hmmmm!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

There were a couple of posters on the Betfair Cup thread in the BIG RACES section who suggested that Main Aim might struggle over this course and distance. The difference of course was that they managed to spot a potential problem before the race………

Well done

reet hard

and

Bosranic

Rob

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

Main Aim WAS too short to back. He came across from the outside got lit up and didn’t get home.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The horse reportedly banged his head coming out of the stalls

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

…he was too short to back on his ownio, which was I had him in in a multiple with Harbinger and Monsieur Chevalier.

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

…accoring to Sporting Life someone had ten grand on Main Aim. Doctor, get the nausea pills, and quickly! :D

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

I don’t know if the bang on the head done the damage – it certainly wouldn’t have helped – but the horse never got settled into any sort of rhythm for a single stride. A disastrous turn of events for backers.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

There were a couple of posters on the Betfair Cup thread in the BIG RACES section who suggested that Main Aim might struggle over this course and distance. The difference of course was that they managed to spot a potential problem before the race………

Well done

reet hard

and

Bosranic

Rob

Just a bit of a shame that Michael Stoute didn’t spot them before he made the entry. If he did I am assuming he thought any such problems wouldn’t be enough to stop the horse winning.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

And where else would he have run him?
    There aren’t any 7f gp1’s, and the next gp2 is (I believe?) at the St Leger meeting in September.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

reet hard

I hadn’t actually checked but I had guessed his options must have been limited. Sometimes trainers are steered towards particular races by necessity. Tommy Stack ran a sprint filly in a 5 furlong race at Ayr recently because the options at home over 5 consist of just two Pattern races!

It’s often an interesting to exercise to work out where a trainer might take his charges. A few instances can tell you how difficult it can be to place some horses, and it’s ground I’ve covered on one or two threads regarding jumpers, particularly summer jumpers.

Rob

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

Interesting to hear Main Aim banged his head on the stalls. Did not look happy in the race, thought he was carrying his head to one side at one point. Maybe did not act on the course, seemed to have a long stride; possibly the race came too soon (JJ also ran poorly). I had a good bet on it myself, agree the price was too short in the end but 13/8 was good value early (imo). One thing for certain, the jockey was definately not to blame, did everything right. Just one of those things.

Was a bit surprised he went for this.

The 6 1/2 furlong race in France or Haydock Sprint were Group 1 options.

Value Is Everything
    bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

reet hard

I hadn’t actually checked but I had guessed his options must have been limited. Sometimes trainers are steered towards particular races by necessity. Tommy Stack ran a sprint filly in a 5 furlong race at Ayr recently because the options at home over 5 consist of just two Pattern races!

It’s often an interesting to exercise to work out where a trainer might take his charges. A few instances can tell you how difficult it can be to place some horses, and it’s ground I’ve covered on one or two threads regarding jumpers, particularly summer jumpers.

Rob

Agree entirely. It must be awkward for trainers of a genuine 7 furlong horse to decide where to run. They might get a mile on a shrp track on quick ground, they might win a group 1 6 furlong sprint on a stiff track with a bit of give in the ground, but all these factors have to come together and how do they happen precisely?

Placing horses is not easy, especially those on the border of group class who have too high a weight in handicaps. If it was that simple we would all be doing it.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5629

There aren’t any 7f gp1’s, and the next gp2 is (I believe?) at the St Leger meeting in September.

Prix Jacques le Marois (G1 short of a mile if memory serves) and the Hungerford Stakes (G2 now?) are both run in August

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Thanks Drone; I’d overlooked the Hungerford, which may have been more suitable. However, that would possibly be a little too close to the Betfred Sprint, which is now his main target.
    Whichever way one looks at it, they were unsure of the horse’s best trip; now they know, and still have a good race left to aim for. As has been pointed out, it is wrong to assume placing a horse is always straightforward, or to believe a good horse’s career is planned just one race at a time.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5629

Prix Jacques le Marois (G1 short of a mile if memory serves)

Not that it matters much, but I meant the Prix Maurice de Gheest G1 short of 7f

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

What

sort of ride was that? He must have laid the nag himself on Betfair…

That’s way over the top for this forum and stinks of a bad loser.

It’s not the first time Main Ain has disappointed SMS or the punters.

The fact SMS said he was too short to back just emphasisis he’s not a horse you can trust.

He’s not Sea the Stars and has never been that consistant. I doubt if there’s a bigger fan of Michael Stoute and his horses than myself and I wouldn’t have back him with bad money at that price.

I suppose it escaped your notice that the 2nd fav JJ the Jet Plane ran a stinker as well.

You should take it on the chin mate and don’t make an ass of yourself slagging off one of the best jockeys in the world

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.