The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

magical balliwick

Home Forums Horse Racing magical balliwick

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    thebroons
    • Total Posts 29

can anybody tell me what happend to a horse called magical bailiwick i think he was trained by martin pipe last i heard he had been injured

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

He was McCoy’s 2000th winner. Sadly he suffered fatal injuries when falling in the 2004 National Hunt Chase.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

The finest example of why I wouldn’t send a horse within 40 miles of Martin Pipe

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Exactly what did Pipe do wrong with this horse?

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Indeed, a most mysterious comment.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

The comment may have been aimed at the race in which the horse suffered the fatal fall. The 4 mile amateurs novice chase has again come under scrutiny this year.<br>The horse itself was quite an experienced novice when it fell, being campaigned in the fashion typical of Pipe  at that time.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

If anyone remembers his previous runs prior to the 4 miler he was out on his legs at the end of 2 1/2-4m.

From the end of December to his death in March he had 7 starts, including 2 at 4 miles and 4 at 3m+ in which he looked out on his feet at the end of.  I said as much at the time and mad e my feelings clear then that he shouldn’t have run the horse over further than 3m, particularly after how he finished his novice handicap chase it was clear the only thing that kept him going was shear determination – something Pipe abused.

As for the 4miler it was one of my favourite races but after that years renewal and recent events i’d sooner it was at least restricted to professional riders.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I thought it funny that I hadn’t heard of this poor fellow since he fell at Cheltenham. A great shame. I have a lot of respect for Pipe, but sometimes I do feel he ran his horses too often and gave them too many hard races. Like his jockey AP, he wanted to get 100% of racing out of every horse. Unfortunately this is far more dangerous over the course of a season than over 3 miles.

On the issue of the NH Challenge Cup- I have to say if you’re ever going to have an amateur rider’s novice chase, it’s got to be over 4m or so when the jumping will be slower, giving both horse and jockey more scope for error. However, the whole concept of amateurs novice chasing smacks a bit of the blind leading the blind.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Irish Stamp on 11:11 pm on April 1, 2007[br]If anyone remembers his previous runs prior to the 4 miler he was out on his legs at the end of 2 1/2-4m.

From the end of December to his death in March he had 7 starts, including 2 at 4 miles and 4 at 3m+ in which he looked out on his feet at the end of.  

<br>I’m not sure I quite concur with all of that – he was, after all, not beaten far behind Tyneandthyneagain in the Eider Chase the previous month and was onepaced at the end, rather than ready to drop.

His participation in the NH Challenge Cup owed much to one of his owners, Gordon Shenkin of Islands Racing Connection, wanting a ride in the race. No particular harm in that, as the horse was at least useful and would have had better pretensions of lasting the trip than some others. I had – and still have – it down as a tragic accident and little else.

…and believe me, I’d have bashed Shenkin if I thought there was a case for it, given a bit of previous on his part. In the kind of antic more synonymous with the likes of Fergus Wilson nowadays, he insisted upon his father’s horse, Maple Dancer, being campaigned towards giving him a ride in the 1998 Grand National, despite the horse:

– being 32lb out of the handicap,<br>- being only just entitled to run with an Official Rating of the bare minimum of 110 (and not being worthy of that by the day of the National, having been pulled up in three out of four previous starts that season, and a 71l last in the other),<br>- clearly not being fully over whatever had kept him off the track for a year and a half during 1996-7.

Not surprisingly, the poor thing hated every minute of it, tried to refuse at the 13th and pulled up almost straight after. He turned out three more times after that during 1998-9 and never beat another horse home.

Let’s hope that there aren’t so many late defectors from this year’s renewal that the similarly sad figure of Heros Collonges – 110 and plummeting still after four pulled-ups for Norma McAuley – is obliged to take part.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 9:35 pm on April 2, 2007)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

People complain about Astonville etc they’d be giving Heros Collonges 2 stone in an open handicap.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Doesn’t mean the likes of Astonville could run to those inflated figures in a handicap.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

It doesn’t but equally it doesn’t mean they don’t deserve them.  Looking back at his form though it doesn’t mean he didn’t at one stage (post 2002 Grade 2 win) deserve it.  His OR also went up 7lbs in his runs from behind Westender in the January to being pulled up in Hedgehunter’s National that April.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from davidjohnson on 9:06 am on April 3, 2007[br]Doesn’t mean the likes of Astonville could run to those inflated figures in a handicap.<br>

<br>He certainly couldn’t now – his win in a point-to-point at Maisemore Park at the weekend owed everything tof a pile-up at the last in front of him, but for which he’d have been a well-held fourth at best.

(Not strictly on-topic here, but a little proof that there is life, of sorts, after Wilson, and an excuse for another gratuitous mention of point-to-pointing on these boards!)

gc<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 12:22 pm on April 3, 2007)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.