The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Long Walk Hurdle

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Long Walk Hurdle

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

As for Chief Dan George, his connections should be eternally grateful that he managed to fluke his win at Aintree. Massively flattered there, they will do well to find him another race over hurdles ever.

Completely agree.

Dont think the horse is as good as has been made out to be honest.

I think also, looking back at that race at Aintree that he won, would he have won that if Massini’s Maguire and Wichita Lineman hadn’t burnt themselves out from a long way out. Both horses did take eachother on from a longway into the backstraight, and by the time they got to the last 2 or 3 fences, they were very tired horses. This may have given Cheif Dan George a better chance of winning than usual.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Horses don’t normally find 16/18lbs on their 20th run over hurdles, which is what’s suggested if you take today’s form literally.
    If Lough Derg even places in the World Hurdle, I’ll run round Cheltenham naked

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

For a horse that hasn’t been over-rated, he seems to start a very short price every time he sets foot on a racecourse, Charlie.

Aren’t horses that travel like he does nearly always over – rated in betting markets though Smithy?

I only fancied him over HE today because i thought HE was worth taking on over this trip.

Had i known trip was sound enough for HE, i’d have been on HE because he’s the superior animal and imo he would have won today had he not been given all that ground to peg back, but thats not to take anything away from winner, who, like last year against Mighty Man showed he has ability

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

Horses don’t normally find 16/18lbs on their 20th run over hurdles, which is what’s suggested if you take today’s form literally.

reet,

you need to take into account the lead he was given by the other runners and the advantage that gave Lough Derg

This race today imo is no different to say when Sublimity put in a 170 winning performance in CH (improving 22lb), but he benifited by the way the race was run or Cesare putting in a G1 performance in Summer Mile because of the way that race was run

It is very hard, nay, almost impossible to give that many lengths start to any horse regardless of ability and expect another horse to catch it

The leader has to tire or you are well and truly up the stream without a paddle imo

L

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I can’t believe the Black Jack Ketchum we’re seeing now is the same horse that cantered over anything that dared oppose him a couple of years ago, and I refuse to entertain the thought that Hardy Eustace stays 3m, but the race was nothing short of a farce for me.

Still, all credit has to go to Tom Scudamore. He pinched at the start, got a breather in to Lough Derg half-way and never looked like being reeled in.

Blue Brazil
    • Total Posts 90

Jonjo will just have to aim his second string at the stayers now : Wichita Lineman :wink:

chloed
    • Total Posts 433

lough derg would never have won if he had run the race any other way, the tactics paid off , he would never win if involved in a sprint finish,he is a very good horse however and i think was underated by the opposition. unlike BJK who i think has always been overated by pundits etc.great ride by scudamore .

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

I can’t believe the Black Jack Ketchum we’re seeing now is the same horse that cantered over anything that dared oppose him a couple of years ago, and I refuse to entertain the thought that Hardy Eustace stays 3m, but the race was nothing short of a farce for me.

Me neither, it’s like Jekyll and Hyde.

chipmunk
    • Total Posts 84

i havent given up on BJK, i have it in my profile list as follows………left handed galloping tracks, (1111111001) ascot wouldnt suit imo.
    hardy eustace i have in my book as…………..on good going,(010111001) so the going may have been a contibuting factor,chipmunk

no idea
    • Total Posts 685

Yes I did Triple Crown and Charlie D.

A good day all round.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Once again, TDK’s blind, almost touching, faith in Jonjo O’ Neill is not repaid. You’re going to have to let it go, my friend. Much as it goes against the grain, try following another stable.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

As much as I’m not going to make such bold wagers, I couldn’t agree more.
    Lough Derg was given way too big a lead by the only 3 capable of beating him, especially considering he was a 1L 2nd in the race last year. And as it turned out, I don’t think any of the three stayed, HE’s class got him ahead of the rest IMO.

I’d like to lay anything from that race for even a place in the WH, but I can’t find enough in the way of decent horses amongst the staying hurdlers to beat them!

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

As much as I’m not going to make such bold wagers, I couldn’t agree more.
    Lough Derg was given way too big a lead by the only 3 capable of beating him, especially considering he was a 1L 2nd in the race last year. And as it turned out, I don’t think any of the three stayed, HE’s class got him ahead of the rest IMO.

I’d like to lay anything from that race for even a place in the WH, but I can’t find enough in the way of decent horses amongst the staying hurdlers to beat them!

Its an awful division. Apart from the staying chasing division the others are all pretty poor – 2m hurdling, 2m chasing and staying hurdlers.

I wouldn’t completely rule Lough Derg out as its the first time I remember him being allowed to dictate like that over this sort of trip. Its unlikely to happen at Cheltenham but forcing tactics may make life difficult for the rest and lets be honest what is there to beat? As far as I can see it one horse – Ingles Drever. If he falls / gets injured / doesn’t turn up for some reason the race is wide open.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

‘I wouldn’t completely rule Lough Derg out as its the first time I remember him being allowed to dictate like that over this sort of trip.’

Second to Mighty Man in the same race with the exact same tactics. Actually led going over the last.

Fair do’s.

Maybe he’s a horse that just likes Ascot? :?

Chris B
    • Total Posts 145

I don’t think Black Jack K. will be better over 2m because, unlike most decent 2milers, he doesn’t have a strong finishing kick.

I think he’s better at 3m because at that trip (in a weakish race), he can run smoothly at the same speed behind the leaders, wait for them to tire and slow down, and cruise by them without needing to change gear. A 2m race would be too aggressive IMO: could you imagine him trying to get past Hardy over that trip? He’s like a slower, less fluent Harchibald.

But how is him being entered in ‘weakish’ 3m races any kind of standard to set for him, unless you are happy for him to do f*#ck all for the rest of his career?

He has raced and won over 3m before but apparently has now been found out at a higher level and I don’t see much of a future for him to be honest at any distance, he just doesn’t seem to find anything when it counts now and has been and gone, he has an outstanding record when you look at what he has achieved as a win ratio but I just feel those wins will stay in the past.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.