The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Long Walk Hurdle

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Long Walk Hurdle

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Agree with DJ.
    BJK had a wind op in the summer, and on today’s evidence it hasn’t worked.

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

Not sure you can take anything out of that race. Clearly LD is a very good horse who was not given the respect and stole the race. Well done. To my eye Hardy was staying on and I think would have beaten LD if close enough at the last. BJK looked to be staying as well but just not good enough. I fancied Special Envoy who again was given far too much to do. Do you think that Inglis Dreaver would be only a few lengths ahead of him in thrid if he had run in that race.

Run that race next week on the same ground and I doubt you would get the same result? HE would win for me from SE/LD.

If I was the connections I would not be writing of HE as not staying 3m on the evidence of this one race.

Then again what do I know….. :wink: What do the sectional timings say anyone?

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

Seems to be a lack of respect for some horses at the moment who are then making the most of their leads.

Happened today with Lough Derg, happened last week with Osana and has happened in the past with Blazing Bailey.

Take nothing away from Lough Derg and Tom Scudamore, it was a great front running ride from Tom, and he left Black Jack Ketchum and Hardy Eustace with too much to do, you could also say that the jocks on Black Jack Ketchum and Hrdy Eustace also left themselves with too much to do.

Don’t know what to think of Black Jack Ketchum now to be honest, was willing to give him another chance today, but i think we have seen the best of him in the past. Will be interested to see where connections take him in the future.

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

Mordin mode

Remove Lough Derg from the equation

HE about a 166+ horse

6 lengths to

BJK about 163 horse

1 length back

SE about a 158 horse

Would anyone have queried this result ???

It is only because Lough Derg has won that people are questioning HE and BJK’s stamina, had we known HE would stay (which i think he has and he should go World Hurdle) we would have reckoned he’d muller BJK no matter what the distance and would have been no bigger than evens for this

Lough Derg has nixcked race, but that does not mean that the rest haven’t run to near their best

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I have to claim a vested interest as Lough Derg was my only bet today.

I think it was a good tactical run by the Pipe team – they set a good pace and drew the sting out of the principle opponents, who allowed LD too soft a lead.

I must admit three out I was slightly concerned that Lough Derg may end up, not for the first time, running out of petrol but it looks as though he had been trained to perfection this time.

Biggest disappointment of the race for me was Kasbah Bliss, who was just too bad to be true, there must be something amiss.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Kasbah Bliss was supposed to have missed a couple of gallops this week due to frozen ground.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

According to the RP result here[/url:186b1kbl] the time was a course record but it was also 8.3 secs below standard. What is the story here?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

db

Probably an iffy standard time, based on not many races on new course lay out. Time is 8.3 over standard which compares badly with 2m h’cap..
    In a steadily run race, HE was making no inroads on the leader in the last 2f.
    Evidence that he stays? I very much doubt it.

Sorry, should read iffy course record.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I’ve said it a million times Black Jack Ketchum is a two miler. I cannot believe his connections have persisted in trying to make him a stayer. Its madness now FFS aim him at the Champion Hurdle.

Hardy Eustace ran a good race but Loch Derg was given too big a lead that much is obvious. Great ride by Tom Scudamore.

Too big a lead maybe but those forcing tactics suited the horse I don’t think there was any fluke about this I wouldn’t write him off for the World Hurdle by any means.

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

If Lough Derg is in the same form as today and is allowed such a lead again, He will win the World Hurdle in the same manner and he would be a deserving winner, just like today

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

I don’t think Black Jack Ketchum will be good enough to trouble some of the big boys over any trip to be honest.
    Following his novice campaign which was more style over substance, he has had an excuse trotted out after every start.
    Dare I say it, but may he just have been over-rated?

As for Chief Dan George, his connections should be eternally grateful that he managed to fluke his win at Aintree. Massively flattered there, they will do well to find him another race over hurdles ever.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

I don’t think Black Jack K. will be better over 2m because, unlike most decent 2milers, he doesn’t have a strong finishing kick.

I think he’s better at 3m because at that trip (in a weakish race), he can run smoothly at the same speed behind the leaders, wait for them to tire and slow down, and cruise by them without needing to change gear. A 2m race would be too aggressive IMO: could you imagine him trying to get past Hardy over that trip? He’s like a slower, less fluent Harchibald.

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

I don’t think Black Jack Ketchum will be good enough to trouble some of the big boys over any trip to be honest.

Totally agree

Dare I say it, but may he just have been over-rated?

I wouldn’t say he’s been overrated, today, his last run, his Relkeel probably show how good he is and that is about a Grade 3 horse of around 160ish

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

For a horse that hasn’t been over-rated, he seems to start a very short price every time he sets foot on a racecourse, Charlie.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

Maybe something to do with the jockey too.

I often find that some of McCoys’ rides are shorter than they should be, simply because he is in the saddle.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.