The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

lingfield derby sat, no hype.

Home Forums Horse Racing lingfield derby sat, no hype.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

cheltenham overkill, cant even sell all the tickets.

non vintagenon vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Terrible timing though. With minimal shuffling, they could have put the meeting on last Saturday.

Needs a rethink and the winter sand racing would benefit from some kind of crescendo, rather than fizzling out like this each year…

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I don’t think the timing is too bad – it needs to come at the right time after the trial and should be towards the end of the winter polytrack season.  If it has been last weekend then it would have been lost in the Cheltenham hype and against Sandown.

We’ve still got 12 days until the Winter Derby and already plenty of stories in the press about possible runners.  I’m sure that once Cheltenham is over people will start giving the day some consideration.

non vintagenon vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Fair points Adrian, although if I was seriously trying to promote winter sand racing, I wouldn’t want my showcase event to be separated from the rest of the season by the mother of all NH festivals.

It is also the one race which everyone knows. I know there’s never going to be anything even approaching the scale of the Breeders’ Cup, but there ought to be ‘champion’ sprint and mile events at the very least, and maybe something for 3yos?

I just feel it’s an opportunity missed, and no-one would complain if they were creative enough to indulge in a little experimental tinkering whilst the ‘pull’ factor is as gentle as it is at the moment…

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

By far the most interesting entry for the Winter Derby is Alfie Flitts. Looks like he’s being laid out for this.

(Edited by davidjohnson at 2:24 am on Mar. 13, 2007)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.