The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ladbrokes should be ashamed of themselves

Home Forums Horse Racing Ladbrokes should be ashamed of themselves

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2775

This is probably true of hundreds of shops throughout the country

From late afternoon / early evening my local high street branch of Ladbrokes is now run by just one member of staff. The powers that be have forced this through.

For 4 to 5 hours they are alone. If they need a toilet break they are required to secure all the money and lock the shop – and securing the money is not as quick or easy as it is said.
    There is also the safety issue.

Last summer Ladbrokes made a bottom line half year profit of £71.8m

I shall take my business elsewhere at least until this is addressed.

Langers8
    • Total Posts 3

I worked for Ladbrokes as a part-time deputy manager for about seven/eight years. At one point the powers that be decided there would be no single manning "under any circumstances". I think there had been a series of hold-ups, particularly in remote shops.
    This rule was later amended so that staff could "voluntarily" single man, which meant they would be asked to single man if somebody went sick late on, etc.
    Gradually single manning has become the norm. I use Ladbrokes, although its not my first choice, and am still in touch with some of the staff I used to work with. Now shops are staffed by more than one person only at their busiest times, and opening times have been extended on Sundays, in some shops if not all.
    I can’t make out at which point it became ok for shops to single man after the decision was made that there would never be any single manning?
    Certainly agree that the company is putting profit before staff welfare.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2775

I worked for Ladbrokes as a part-time deputy manager for about seven/eight years. At one point the powers that be decided there would be no single manning "under any circumstances". I think there had been a series of hold-ups, particularly in remote shops.
    This rule was later amended so that staff could "voluntarily" single man, which meant they would be asked to single man if somebody went sick late on, etc.
    Gradually single manning has become the norm. I use Ladbrokes, although its not my first choice, and am still in touch with some of the staff I used to work with. Now shops are staffed by more than one person only at their busiest times, and opening times have been extended on Sundays, in some shops if not all.
    I can’t make out at which point it became ok for shops to single man after the decision was made that there would never be any single manning?
    Certainly agree that the company is putting profit before staff welfare.

The GWP machines have brought a different type of customer into betting shops. People popping in from the pub to play on the roulette. Drunks and druggies trying to double their money on a quick spin. Machines are struck or vandalised and the staff get the abuse.

I realise there was an element of this with the horse racing crowd but it has increased with the machines.

Virtual betting, 49’s, greyhounds, football promotions

Is there any wonder their in-house radio presenters don’t have time to inform the public of important information ? That and waffling on about their Cheltenham fancies

Poorly regulated.

JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Us at Coral have been asked to, and requested, but flat out refuse, totally agree with the above posts, the machines have brought with them a different clientèle.

GodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

Disgrace!! its only going to get worse with this economy there will be more and more robbers holding up these shops… There has to be some law here. and the thing is when they do get robbed they accuse the staff of being involved especially when there’s one person on.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2775

Consumer and employee satisfaction is down the list of priorities

I’m surprised they haven’t asked Derren Brown to promote the virtual racing

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4708

Single-manning at Coral multiple times was never really my issue, although probably because I worked in a nice shop, had a bandit screen and also access to a bathroom without having to leave the counter area. I had a lot of free time to do my own thing and got paid time and a half.

My main concern with bookmakers now is their opening hours. How they can justify keeping people working until 9.30pm on Sundays is beyond me. And then why it’s questioned, for the Area Manager to turn around and say ‘well petrol stations are open 24 hours a day now, supermarkets too…’.

A total embarrassment. I avoid betting with high street bookies where possible for precisely the reasons in this thread. Cutting costs and trying to generate more profit.

What I also cannot understand is people like James Knight reporting on twitter that the entire office he was working in cheered when the biggest loser of the day got beaten. One person laying on Betfair is one thing, but James Knight is not laying these bets and he’s getting what I would guess is a salary of about £40k & commission on top dependant on performance, horses they go top price on, etc. I find it sad that he’d rather generate profit for a company he works for whilst winning a very small bonus than be glad that people won money off the bookies.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1559

Before I left the Uk Ladbrokes I think all their shops had few members of staff on duty. Ladbrokes employed a security company in Glasgow and each shop had a guard who stayed there the entire day in case anyone tried to rob or assault the staff etc.

This shocks me and surely and I have to agree ladbrokes should be ashamed of themselves.

The fact they once felt it necessary to employ security but no longer do, yet violent crimes are on the increase is amazing.

Love to see them wiggle their way round that one if someone loses a loved one and decides to sue.

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5763

It’s the legal duty of company directors to do their best for shareholders (cut costs/increase profits).

A fair number of shops will be marginal/loss-making (not just Ladbrokes)and paying more staff than is necessary to run a shop might mean that shop will need to close. Would the staff who lose jobs that way prefer unemployment to single-manning?

Also, if the business belonged to you, what would you do?

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

The renumeration offered by the betting chains hardly justify any degree of personal risk. Closing the shop in the middle of a race for a toilet break would be ideal for igniting the punter’s wrath, then tell them to write to head office.

If a betting shop cannot make a profit being adequately staffed then it should not be open. Local councils have all too readily granted permission for multiple betting shops where there simply was insufficient turnover to support them. Personally I think an empty shop looks much better than one with a blood-stained carpet.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2775

It’s the legal duty of company directors to do their best for shareholders (cut costs/increase profits).

A fair number of shops will be marginal/loss-making (not just Ladbrokes)and paying more staff than is necessary to run a shop might mean that shop will need to close. Would the staff who lose jobs that way prefer unemployment to single-manning?

I’d improve consumer service and look after my staff.

There’s no need for most of these shops to stay open until 9.30 on a Sunday

A problem throughout the industry which has been caused by the greedy bookmakers is too much racing, including poor " Twilight " meetings put on to increase betting turnover. If there’s a high profile football match on during the week, there’s usually a race meeting now.

Cut the crap, improve the ‘ product ‘, and have an interest in horse racing – they claim to but their actions say otherwise.
    They have people in the media on their side to help with PR. I once raised my concerns – which many have agreed with on here and elsewhere – to Sean Boyce and he dismissed them as poppycock and said the bookies did a grand job.

The betting levy is a disgrace.

Like i said, the true attitude of the bookmakers is epitomised by their actions in their high street shops.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

It’s absolutely scandalous. People will become peons before long, forced to shop at the company store (St Peter don’t you call me cuz I cain’t go. I owe my soul to the company store) – unless forced to shop at another shop of the bosses’ choosing.

The truth is that the shareholders, the ‘rentier’ sector, are the curse of this country – even more than the directors of their companies. They are considered to BE the country. That’s why NuLab(c) used to trumpet that the country had never been so rich. Never mind the millions of unemployed, indeed successive generations, homeless people sleeping in shop door-ways, and parents going without food so their children could eat. Now rickets is making a come-back.

There must surely be a special place in Hell for Milton Friedman, who promoted the fraud that has brought the world economy to its knees. When we’re young, subliminally, we think we’ll never grow old, live for ever here. There’s a nasty shock awaiting those ultra predatory fraudsters, unless they amend their ways radically.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

That is utter folly: short-termism gone mad. The law, the whole culture, needs to be radically changed.

This situation did not come about by accident, steeplechasing. If people had been paid a proper return for their work, they would have a disposable income worthier of the name.

The monied folk didn’t want to do that, but they did want to continue to profit from them, so they extended credit insanely, and this incipient mega depression is the outcome; one, moreover, which will be greaty exacerbated by peak oil, the depletion of other important resources, climate-change, etc.

I know you’re a decent souls from your posts, steeplechasing, but those are the basic facts.

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5763

Grimes,

Thanks.

I worked in betting shops for close to 20 years. I liked it a lot and liked the people I worked with. I couldn’t do it these days.

I’ve every sympathy for staff but bookmakers are people too and in my experience are pretty honourable; they deserve a defence when people simply call them the bad guys all the time.

I wouldn’t disagree that capitalist society is poorly structured. Nonetheless, it is what it is for now and these guys must try and do what is best for shareholders – it’s their duty, a flawed one perhaps but a duty all the same.

Also, it is so easy to slag businesses when you would almost certainly do the same in similar circumstances were it your own business.

Fairness, means a lot to me, in all walks of life but that means it should also be applied to those trying to do their best for their business.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2816

Genesis puts the morality
    of big business rather succinctly

"Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother’s wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD’s sight; so he put him to death also."

I prefer the Grimes bible version
    which spares the brother in law
    but kills the wife
    for her physical abnormality
    in possessing three cherries.

"Kick the guts out of the ATM
    then leave with a gentle amen"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.