The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 257 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Interesting market on Stan James – 7/2 for Kauto to win by more than 4L, 7/2 for Kauto to win by less than 4L.

7/4 coupled I believe?

You believe wrong. If you have £10 on each, you are investing £20 for a maximum return of £45. i.e. 5/4.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

After listening to what PN had to say more than 4 lengths would seem a cracking bet.

He regrets running Kauto Star at Haydock but he thinks the horse is as good as ever he said or words to that effect……….what you telling us PN? you never gave him enough work before Haydock or what?

It was like listening to someone making an excuse for a horse winning so easily before he runs……he’s a master at covering his backside that one is :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Interesting market on Stan James – 7/2 for Kauto to win by more than 4L, 7/2 for Kauto to win by less than 4L.

7/4 coupled I believe?

You believe wrong. If you have £10 on each, you are investing £20 for a maximum return of £45. i.e. 5/4.

It’s amazing how many people make that identical mistake with fractional odds. It’s a lot easier if you think in terms of vulgar fractions or decimal odds. 7/2 is 4.5 and half of 4.5 is 2.25 which is 5/4. I tend to go "half of two from nine (7/2) is four from nine (5/4)".

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Our Vic 9/1 and Snoopy Loopy 22/1 for me. Love my Old Vics @ 3 miles. This looks like being a more competitive race than the last two runnings.

David.C.
    • Total Posts 116

After listening to what PN had to say more than 4 lengths would seem a cracking bet.

He regrets running Kauto Star at Haydock but he thinks the horse is as good as ever he said or words to that effect……….what you telling us PN? you never gave him enough work before Haydock or what?

It was like listening to someone making an excuse for a horse winning so easily before he runs……he’s a master at covering his backside that one is :wink:

I never clearly understood Paul Nicholls take on Kauto Star’s Haydock run, this season, he does confuse us all at times. What he meant, as is explained by him on his teletext pages today, is that he half regrets running Kauto Star at Haydock because he took a week to get over his first race in Ireland, because of the travelling to and from Ireland, it then took him two weeks to get him back to his best after that first race. Haydock came three weeks after Down Royal and he runs to his best after a break. It all seems to make a bit more sense now.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

I never clearly understood Paul Nicholls take on Kauto Star’s Haydock run, this season, he does confuse us all at times. What he meant, as is explained by him on his teletext pages today, is that he half regrets running Kauto Star at Haydock because he took a week to get over his first race in Ireland, because of the travelling to and from Ireland, it then took him two weeks to get him back to his best after that first race. Haydock came three weeks after Down Royal and he runs to his best after a break. It all seems to make a bit more sense now.

Except he never needed a break between his races before now….he is guessing.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Bit of a concern over Air Force One losing his regular jockey; get the feeling that he’s a horse that takes a bit of knowing.

• Total Posts 2440

Bit of a concern over Air Force One losing his regular jockey; get the feeling that he’s a horse that takes a bit of knowing.

He was given a great ride in the Hennessy in my opinion, got the horse settled well, and he jumped really well until the latter stages of the race, notably, down the home straight.

I think he will run a big race, however, the one i am of course looking forward to seeing is Voy Por, i think this could be a great race for him.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Agree; he totally deserves it and no one would be more chuffed than me to see him win..haven’t had a bet in the race..just want to enjoy it; Voy Por or Snoopy Loopy would be great…getting nervous already but not like the Dessie days when I could hardly eat on Christmas Day!

Magistretti
    • Total Posts 74

however, the one i am of course looking forward to seeing is Voy Por, i think this could be a great race for him.

It all comes down to what Kauto Star turns up on Boxing Day. If Kauto is on form he wins this again with relative ease. If the Kauto from Haydock turns up at the KG then he is there for the taking in my opinion.

I agree though that this could be a great race for VPU. He will appreciate the step up in trip and should be in the placings at the end.

Still has to be Kauto for me but not a race I’d be lumping on.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Very poor that Tidal Bay isn’t going to turn up, had a serious chance IMO.

I’d half understand them if they were were saving him for other targets but to run him in a Wetherby h’cap over further on the same day? Beats me.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Don’t think AFO backers will be too upset that Barry Geraghty is likely to take the mount if Noel Fehilly isn’t fit- can see him shortening a bit more if this comes to pass…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’d half understand them if they were were saving him for other targets but to run him in a Wetherby h’cap over further on the same day? Beats me.

Makes perfect sense to me, educationally.
    As a second season novice, soft ground at Wetherby against lesser horses will give him a much better chance of a clear round than a good ground King George and, as possibly his last chance to run in a handicap, should do much more for his confidence than taking on the real stars, just yet.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Agreed Paul,it’s not like giving a stone to State of Play, who looks back to be back to his best, is going to be a walk in the park for him.

2m4f to 2m to 3m2f back to 2m4f for the Ryanair? It’s not that they don’t want to take on Kauto Star they think he is Kauto Star :lol:

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

The mind tells me Kauto.

The Remy Martin tells me Exotic Dancer……MMMMmmmm

• Total Posts 1982

I know we all have our favourites in this sport, but any true racing fan surely wants to see Kauto Star claim a third successive King George with another tremendous performance.

Only the mighty Desert Orchid has accomplished this feat. Boxing Day could be a wonderful occasion.

Interesting that quite a few are opposing KS on the basis that he may not be as good as he was, most notably with Voy Por Ustedes. They believe KS has a few questions to answer, so they’re opposing him with a horse who has question marks over his stamina.

There’s so many you could give a chance to, but they also have question marks of their own regarding trip, fitness and ability. Horses like Imperial Commander and Air Force One could be anything.

Can’t wait…

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Was reminded the other day that the great Desert Orchid did put in one ordinary KGV performance. The year Nupsala won (should have remebered..i was there). Was 8 at the time and of course he bounced back

Kauto is a different type of horse altogther, but whereas with some trainers decline in performances is often terminal, Nichols is very decent at getting the spark back.

Im unconvinced about the rivals in this race and can see this being a perfect comeback for KS

A double with Market Man ?

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 257 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.