The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

At Huntingdon, late November 2003, Jair Du Cochet was the first horse to beat a rusty Best Mate ( in his seasonal comeback ) in two years, where he won by eight lengths. The French trained horse, it should be added, failed miserably when odds on favourite to land the King George.

I still think Long Run has improvement in him. After all, he is only five.

Jair du Cochet

was beaten in that years King George Himself, he was never an odds on shot to do so mind,5/2fav i think! He made a huge blunder at the 4th,or should i say his Jockey made a huge blunder,bit like he did in the RSA actually,Jacques Ricou was his name,he rode like Steve smith eccles in one of those fat suits!He then went on to blunder his chances away,he was only 6yo at the time and had the world at his feet,he did go on to win a recognised Gold Cup trial in the Pillar chase! Best Mate was also a 6yo when he got beat in the King George i believe he was also 5/2,so, so long as Long Run gets placed ideally 2nd and running on then all is not lost,i dont think he will mind! :shock:

Now I remember him. Jonjo sent one out against him and they were massively confident it would win, which it did. He was a Strong Gale horse and unbeaten at the time bar once when he fell. He won by about 2 fences and a taxi ride just about the easiest money I ever made.

Off to the pub but I’ll look it up later but your Frenchie wasn’t that special Gord. Very in and out if I remember correctly.

Didn’t know he beat Best Mate though so obviously he was no slouch.

Wouldn’t be a cousin oif Alberta’s Run by any chance? :P

• Total Posts 660

His form on good to soft is quite good as well. Since good to soft is the most likely ground and soft is a definite possibility I would say he is still a value price at around 90-1 on the exchange.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

BHA website today has Kauto at 190, Albertas Run 168, The Nightingale 167, Burton Port 166 etc .Am I missing something?

My apologies The Nightingale was rate 148 prior to beating a 145 rated horse so for that he’s raised him 22 friggin pounds?

I think I’m missing something or Paul Nichols nead to go round to the hadicapper’s home and hit him smack between the ears with a baseball bat.

Mad Max is rated 157 and beat the Nightingale like he didn’t exist at Aintree.

Something very wrong here.

Now I am def going to the pub so shut up till I get back LOL

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

His form on good to soft is quite good as well. Since good to soft is the most likely ground and soft is a definite possibility I would say he is still a value price at around 90-1 on the exchange.

Kasparov,there"s only me who puts up 90/1 winners mate! :lol: What i would say is i can see The Nightingale going for the Durkan before a King George run is confirmed but obviously if you are of a strong opinion that the horse will even turn up for the King George then you have to take your 90"s! I have a saying "If you want the price to pay,you have to pay the price" Foresight is crucial to successful Ante-Post betting! Good Luck!

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Jair du Cochet

was beaten in that years King George Himself, he was never an odds on shot to do so mind,5/2fav i think!

I sit here ( modestly :| ) corrected, er… I think ! :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

"Fist":3ocj48qm wrote: [

Now I remember him. Jonjo sent one out against him and they were massively confident it would win, which it did. He was a Strong Gale horse and unbeaten at the time bar once when he fell. He won by about 2 fences and a taxi ride just about the easiest money I ever made.

Keen Leader

is the horse you are on about,he was a grandson of Strong Gale and a son of Clive Brittains 2000gns horse Supreme leader! Jair du Cochet u/r he was odds on to beat John Jo"s but wether he would is debateable as Keen Leader was no donkey over hurdles!

• Total Posts 660

Mr Nicholls says

As for my other entries, Free World is the most unlikeliest runner at this stage …. but John Hales would like Noland to line up……

The Nightingale is potentially very interesting if it came up very soft.

If the handicapper is correct, he is actually third best in at the weights here. Kauto Star is rated 190 and Albertas Run is in 168, and The Nightingale was raised to 167 after winning at Down Royal last month.

However, the Nightingale is entered on Sunday for the Peterborough at Huntingdon. I guess it would be a big ask to win at Kempton two weeks later. But if the ground is firm in Huntingdon I suppose he might be kept out of that race.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Well, Fist, if Long Run disappoints again, he won’t be first the French "flyer" who’s kept letting me down. You’d think I’d learn.

I also note His Majesty’s misgivings in that regard with trepidation. We shall see.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

The French have had a few that held their own like Kasbah Bliss, The Fellow and Nupsala but overall they are a league behind.

And potentially the best of the lot.

Jair du Cochet

! :(

Ze Frenchies had another very fast hot-pot, too, YM, but not that consistent – though I can’t remember his name. Just that his speed figure was so much higher than our best for a few years.

• Total Posts 14971

Grimes, obviously there was Algan too, but are you thinking of Douze Douze, who ran in it a few years back?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Well, Fist, if Long Run disappoints again, he won’t be first the French "flyer" who’s kept letting me down. You’d think I’d learn.

I also note His Majesty’s misgivings in that regard with trepidation. We shall see.

Nothing is certain in racing mate and it’s always best to do your own thgung. TAPK throws darts by the handful and the odd one hits the bullseye which reaps an overall profit. I myself have some weird old bets IE Mad Max I’ve been backing him at odds of 100/1 ro 280/1 for the Cheltenham Gold Cup and the King George and have no idea if Nicky is even going to try him at that level this season.

I fully realise the horse would have to win the Mini Gold Cup tomorrow if he runs, go on from there and beat Kuato Star over a trip he hasn’t even run over. Huge ask but stranger things have happened. Well maybe not that strange but you never know:D

No one knows what’s round the corner so knock yourself out mate

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

TAPK throws darts by the handful and the odd one hits the bullseye which reaps an overall profit.

My dart board has had the Bullseye thrashed out of it and thats with throwing the odd arrow with Jocky Wilson like precision! You have gone through umpteen dartboards in the last fortnight and its not just darts you throw,your Gattlin gun is a runnin dry and your last hope is to chuck the kitchen sink! :lol: I am the extremely well named "Ante-Post King" ruler bar none of the kingdom of foresight and a track record to back it up! You are the well named "Fist" challenger and anarchist to my Royal Throne and you are making a Hamfisted attempt to steal my crown! :lol:

Let the battle commence in a field in the cotswold this after and may i ask for no quarter to be given!

• Total Posts 660

We have been drifting off topic recently. To get the discussion back on track, I think there is an interesting technical situation developing in this race.
    There are only 6 horses apart from Kauto with odds of less than 40-1 on the exchange. Conservatively assuming Kauto is placed, the other 6 have on average a roughly 2 in 6 chance of placing. So true odds of 2/1 for a place.

So each way would look good value if it were not for the fact that odds have been clipped on the most likely placers, Long Run and Forpady. Nevertheless Sizing Europe looks good at 14/1 win and 14/3 place and is in fact an arb if you can be bothered.

Now, there might be a flaw in my reasoning…….I don’t understand why more horses aren’t thought likely to have a crack at this. Kauto is aging, Long Run is speculative, Forpady always comes second etc so I would expect a few more horses to turn up in the hope of either win or place money. Perhaps they will but at the moment they all appear to be very long odds against. So maybe the value is in Albertas Run or Burton Port at over 40/1+ rather than the eachway higher up the pecking order.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

No, it wasn’t Algan, Venture. You’ll all know it if someone remembers. His best speed figure was so much hiigher than those of any of our hot-pots. But maybe he took too much out of himself in one of those races. Bottomed – if it’s PC to say so.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Djeddah? :?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Grimes you are thinking of

Douze douze

like Venture says,he was very highly regarded by connections his trainer Gerard Macaire sent him over one day to take on Best Mate at Huntingdon he duly lost,the following year the same trainer sent

Jair du Cochet

over for the same race and to settle an old score with Best Mate,it was a successful sorte! Douze douze was quoted in the 93 Ante-Post list for the Gold cup! :shock:

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Nope. Sorry, none of them.

Just found it. It was First Gold. He returned a speed figure of 186 in the KG of 2000, beating Florida Pearl; then, in 2001, a SF of 182 in the Martell Cup showcase Grade II at Aintree in 2001, which he won again in 2003. Then his last win was in the Heineken Gold Cup at Punchestown, where he beat Rince Ri. But the first two were the only really fast wins.

Owned by JPMc, apparently, and trained by Francois Doumen.

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.