The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2011 & 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2011 & 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 307 through 323 (of 387 total)
  • Author
    elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

something has gone wrong with grands crus. he’s now run two bad races in a row. a watching brief advised although he may still return to form.

what al ferof showed yesterday was that he’s now a high-class horse who comes into very strong consideration indeed in any talks about the king george and gold cup.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I would leave Grands Crus well alone for now, he will be facing better horses than he was on Saturday if/when he lines up on Boxing Day. I thought he travelled OK for some way in the Paddy Power but the writing was on the wall as soon as he come under pressure.

I have been looking at Bobs Worth and see that his price varies from as low as 7/1 to as high as 20/1 for the King George, that seems a hell of a spread and he might be worth a tickle each way being a horse who has won 6 from 8 over jumps and who might upstage his seemingly more fancied stablemates.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

problem with bobs worth is that he didn’t exactly seem to take to kempton last time he was there.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I couldn’t have Bobs Worth here either. He clearly doesn’t seem happy going right handed at all. Take into consideration that Henderson also has 3 likely runners in Long Run, Riverside Theatre and Finians Rainbow as well, he just doesn’t make any ante post appeal.

Participant
    • Total Posts 296

Breathing op for Grands Crus
    Last Updated: November 19 2012, 15:38 GMT
    Grands Crus is to be treated shortly for a breathing issue detected after his ordinary run in Saturday’s Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham.

Grands Crus: Disappointed in Paddy Power Gold Cup

David Pipe’s grey, who set a high standard in staying hurdles and won last year’s Feltham Novices’ Chase, went off the 7-4 favourite for the first major handicap of the season but was pulled up before the second-last fence.

Profiles D Pipe Grands Crus (FR)
    "Geoff Lane (a renowned vet) had a look at him and he wasn’t happy with his wind," said Pipe.

"It’s ongoing, but I should think we’ll do something about it this week."

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

I liked [b:2jbp9sr4]KAUTO STONE[/b:2jbp9sr4][/color:2jbp9sr4] when he ran at Down Royal earlier this month.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I couldn’t have Bobs Worth here either. He clearly doesn’t seem happy going right handed at all. Take into consideration that Henderson also has 3 likely runners in Long Run, Riverside Theatre and Finians Rainbow as well, he just doesn’t make any ante post appeal.

All true but I reckon Long Run isn’t as good as some seem to think, also Riverside Theatre was hard at it all the way when he won at Cheltenham before going off a bad favourite when stinking the place out at Aintree. Time will tell.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Breathing op for Grands Crus

I think many of those who backed him on Saturday will require the same procedure ;)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Bobs Worth won’t run unless there are injuries to Henderson’s other horses

Long Run – even though he has just retired, i think it would do well to remember Kauto Star’s career when considering the Waley Cohen horse. They had similar profiles in France. Running at 3, tearing up Auteuil before moving to a major British yard. However, Kauto didn’t run at Cheltenham until he was 6 ( fell early ) Long Run 5 ( placed ). Later, Kauto was beaten at Aintree, then won races against horses he should have beaten convincingly before losing to a brutal Denman in the Gold Cup, then losing the subsequent race.
    Long Run was beaten by a similar performance from Kauto at Haydock, and although he won at Newbury, he was unconvincing. The track record is an anomaly in my opinion.

Just like Kauto, Long Run has been beaten by a champion and taken time to recover. He should be back to his best this season but the constant throughout all this is the jockey. Yes, he’s won big races but he’s no Geraghty or Walsh and Long Run appears to need more guidance through his races than Kauto.

I think Long Run will win but i’d be convinced with Geraghty onboard. He was a dilemma over Finian’s or Riverside.

I doubt Sir Des Champs will make the journey. Was Florida Pearl the last horse Willie had in this race ?
    Hope i’m wrong there because it would ne one hell of a race.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

A couple of disappointing runs could soon see Nicky Henderson juggle his plans. Everyone seems to assume that all horses will come back in good order. We saw what happened with Grands Crus and Riverside Theatre has something to prove after being pulled up at Aintree. Even though I backed him when he won at the festival I was not impressed as he was off the bridle almost all the way. I think Bobs Worth has the most scope of the lot of them and he is my idea of a Gold Cup winner ahead of Long Run at the same odds and the skinny priced Sir Des Champs.

Long Run does not warrant comparison with Kauto Star until he wins a good few more group 1 races and I don’t think he will do it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I wonder if Willie Mullins will send Sir Des Champs? Gigginstown have First Lieutenant and Quito for the Lexus. I haven’t heard anything about Last Instalment for a while but if he runs at Christmas it will be in Ireland.

Also, if Flemenstar beats Sir Des Champs first time out in the John Durkan, they may want to avoid a rematch before Cheltenham.

Who knows, it’s Willie Mullins :?

ArkleSupreme
    • Total Posts 62

Grands Crus is back on track for the race.

If he performs as he did at Kempton last year then he would have a massive chance of winning it.

It also depends on which Long Run shows up on the day.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Grands Crus is back on track for the race.

If he performs as he did at Kempton last year then he would have a massive chance of winning it.

Very true. 2 bad runs does not a bad horse make. I’m just happy the poor Paddy Power run has thrown a bit more value into the hat 8)

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Very true. 2 bad runs does not a bad horse make. I’m just happy the poor Paddy Power run has thrown a bit more value into the hat

It has to be a worry though. Bookies don’t push horses out without good reason. I warned people not to assume that Henderson’s contenders would win their seasonal debut’s and although Long Run ran a decent race, Finian’s Rainbow stank the place out. People will blame the heavy ground but although Finian’s Rainbow looks to have a powerful strike rate, he has gone off as short as a carrot in most of his races and he is not one for me in the King George.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

10/1 about the top class Cue Card with Boylesports should be taken imo

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Finians Rainbow and Grands Crus both 12/1, both have excuses for their first runs of the season, and could see one of them bouncing back at Kempton.

• Total Posts 790

10/1 about the top class Cue Card with Boylesports should be taken imo

Agree 100%

Only been out the first two twice in his 11 races so far, which i think is a fairly impressive record given some of the races he’s ran in. Was very impressive on his reappearance in Haldon stuffing Edgardo Sol & Menorah by 25+ lengths. The only worry for me would be he hasn’t been this far before. Worth the risk though imo!

Viewing 17 posts - 307 through 323 (of 387 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.