The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Juddmonte International 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Juddmonte International 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 156 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

If O’Brien is true to his word, then I can’t see Sea The Stars getting beat. O’Brien has said he uses pacemakers to ensure the right result, with a true run race.

But this is team Coolmoore V Sea The Stars. I believe Sea The Stars idles when infront, even better than he’s shown so far. That could be his achillies heel if Coolmore want to think beyond the norm.

There are two pacemakers, but what if they do not make the running? Sea The Stars idles after he is in front for half a furlong. It is not that bad but it is there. The question is would he be capable of leading for 1m2f? It could be that if O’Brien’s horses don’t give him a lead, going walking pace (remember Buccallati’s race at Chester) forcing Sea The Stars to the front; there could be a false result. In a sprint finish I would still think STS will come out on top, but would not be so certain as in a conventionally run race.

I don’t think Mastercraftsman is value at his current price, if there is value it is STS; but I don’t bet at that price.

Value Is Everything
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I don’t think APOB is sufficiently Machiavellian to resort to that Ginge- the worst that will happen is that the pace is not as fierce as it might be. That wouldn’t inconvenience STS enough to change the inevitable result though.
    I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t win comfortably.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Funny thing is everyone assumes Sea the Stars has more speed but it was MCM who won 3 sprints as a 2yo. StS never ran under 7f.

This is not as cut and dry as some think. MCM has plenty toe and stamina it’s all down to how AOB decides to run the race IMO.

A crawl and a 6f sprint or go hell for leather and try and burn StS out.

Find out soon.

• Total Posts 4293

I’m rather surprised about this talk about Georgebernardshaw being a pacemaker. He has only led one race in the past 16 months.

(I’ve had a slight interest in following what he does ever since I wondered what the hell he was doing in the Poulains field.)

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

What do you want? A walk over? Without Coolmore there would be no classics worth a dam in England The English trainer threw up their hands at the derby. Now Coolmore are getting stick for taking on the Derby winner.Where are the locals. Meehan was going to win the Derby and the Guineas where is he now? Where have all the horses gone ? Longtime asking ?Gone to Coolmore every one save for Stouty lasting.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

If for whatever reason Ballydoyle’s plane over to York is delayed…

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

One of the things stated in Racing for Change is to have a big story 52 weeks a year. Is this one of them ” This truely is ridiculous. Four runners and two pacemakers or at best no hopers. It isn’t competition.”
    Or will it be the one about K Burkes appeal against being banned?
    Or the starter starting a race when a jockey was not even sitting on his horse?
    Come on British Racing we need a big story …a big build up….an exiting middle and a happy ending. :oops:

I quite like boxing match scenario tbh. It’s not often you get a match race between two quality horses with all the argy bargy and tactic speculation that goes with it. It’s certainly different and a break from the norm. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

With the ground officially declared good to firm at York, John Oxx has his desired ground for Sea The Stars.

There can be ( and will be ) no excuses.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Aidan has the luxury of being able to point different horses for different races. But Oxx has to have STS in peak shape for each different race. Some achievement.How often can one horse take on the best choices from Coolmore without running below his best?Two thousand Guineas,Derby ,Eclipse, now the Juddmonte and next the Irish Ch Stakes.? And meet a different champion each time.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Aidan has the luxury of being able to point different horses for different races. But Oxx has to have STS in peak shape for each different race. Some achievement.How often can one horse take on the best choices from Coolmore without running below his best?Two thousand Guineas,Derby ,Eclipse, now the Juddmonte and next the Irish Ch Stakes.? And meet a different champion each time.

Absolutely, andyod…he meets a different champion with all their chosen pacemakers too.

STS…a good old fashioned champion with real class that requires no assistance. I feel this could be quite humbling for AOB.

• Total Posts 1982

This will be very interesting tactically.

Mmm…Aiden has three horses in the race – one to put in front of Sea The Stars, one to place on his outside and one to put behind.

Mick would be wise to keep him wide. :lol:

Seriously, if STS can do to the tough and talented Mastercraftsman what he has done to the likes of Rip Van Winkle and Fame And Glory then he is as good as we think / hope he is.

Don’t think he will have it all his own way. Mastercraftsman has always looked the type to improve for this trip and the track should suit.

Again, tactics will be very interesting.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

He’s had harder days on the gallops :lol:

• Total Posts 1688

A squeegee for Mastercraftsman before the race? I know it was humid but he was a mess! STS looked pretty content though.

Excellent tactics by Aidan O’Brien, with the two pacemakers creating a corridor that Mastercraftsman passed through first, and if STS did not follow behind I don’t think he could have claimed MCM.

What I have learnt:

– Sea The Stars has the coolest demeanour.
    – Sea The Stars will never dominate a race. Always the same ritual: you can put in your absolute best but he always has one trick more up his sleeve. Just one.

Finally, we are in for an epic clash at Leopardstown.

Hawk Wing
    • Total Posts 141

Won easily in the end, will never trounce a field, just does enough, different class

• Total Posts 1537

Didn’t have the luxury of getting between the two pacemakers and didn’t get whipped until on the tail of MCM. Very well deserved.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I do a lot of blubbing in the winter, but it’s not often that I get in that state watching this sort of race. Wonderful horse.

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

I cannot see the logic in the Ballydoyle tactics.

You run 2 pacemakers setting a good gallop for your horse who has to run 2 furlongs further than he has ever had to run before, trying to beat a horse who has won over further than todays distance.

I’m not sure if Mastercraftsman truely stayed 10 furlongs.

We will get him next time though with Fame and Glory, its only 18 days away.

I can see Mastercraftsman running over a mile next, maybe in the QE2 at Ascot.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 156 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.