The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jockeys Merry Go Round

Home Forums Horse Racing Jockeys Merry Go Round

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Reportedly Graham Lee has lost his job with Howard Johnson-Graham Wylie with Paddy Brennan leaving as second jockey to Philip Hobbs to take over the job.<br>Lee resurfaces as stable jockey to Ferdy Murphy.<br>Odd man out appears to be Keith Mercer who was touted as being highly regarded.<br>Accepting that there are all sorts of retainers/agreements/preferred arrangements involved what do posters think of the riders relative abilities/suitablities?

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I think Brennan’s a much better rider, but I also think Lee might be a bit hard done by considering Johson hasn’t really given him much to work with this year… Scapegoating..

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Certainly looks like that. He’s a great jockey who has been a great servant to them. He put that stable on the map. Just because Inglis Drever was retired, and Arcalis and No Refuge didn’t do very well is no reason to drop him.

bear
    • Total Posts 143

Think there may be more to this than meets the eye!

As for the merits of Lee and Brennan, there is no comparison. Lee is the complete package, Brennan has an awful lot of rough edges that need working on.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

It seems odd and there must have been something more to it.  Has made changes previously has HJ, and maybe he is a little odd.  Im surprised the Wylies didnt kick up though, some loyal owners dont like trainers making changes like this.  

SHL

roland
    • Total Posts 302

I think it highlights how big a nutter Howard Johnson is, flitting from one decision to another throughout the season where GL did nothing wrong.

I know its upto him and his owners, but kick a man while he’s down why don’t you Howard?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Erm when was Inglis Drever retired Jackane?  Last I heard about 3 months back he was on target to reappear this season.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I’m quite certain there is more to this than meets the eye. But I don’t really wish to expand on it in a public forum:biggrin:

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

I think we’re attached to the same grapevine, dj. <br>Would suggest that blaming Howard Johnson would be very harsh.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Inglis Drever retired? I hope not I’ve got it for next years World Hurdle.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Indeed Sal ;)

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Bear, I disagree, Brennan will ride more winners than Lee in my opinion… I would think Richard Johnson is quietly pleased that Brennan has gone.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Brennan has the talent to be champion jockey one day.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I agree DJ, he’s not pretty but he’s certainly effective and when McCoy has had enough of coercing horses in his own inimitable way Brennan will probably fill his boots… Still a long way to go to be as good as Ruby though who I think is in a league of his own.. Anyone see him win on Oodachee the other night? how he manages to stay so motionless I have no idea

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Brennan and Ashleybrook at Aintree last year was the best spectacle of the National Hunt season for me in 2004/5. That is what 2m steeplechasing is all about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.