The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ITV Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Racing

Viewing 17 posts - 630 through 646 (of 2,296 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I think you’re kinda missing the point, FiftyP.

You’re certainly missing my point.

I don’t want more from ITVRacing, I want less.

A lot less.

I already deprive them of the opportunity to assault my eardrums by, if I even have the Show on in the background (while I really follow the racing on my iPhone tbh) having it on mute.

My argument is the Show is needlessly long for the number of live races they actually screen, the mob-handed on-screen personnel is probably double what they need and IMO the ITV7 format back in the late 1970s/early 1980s was actually better.

Btw, I don’t recall professing to be anything other than a punter with an opinion on a racing forum which welcomes opinions.

Or so I thought?

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 730

It’s funny how people like different things. I always preferred the BBC coverage when it was a stand alone programme. I always felt, particularly in the latter days, they went over extremely late, and had barely shown a replay of the closing stages before they read out the result, and handed over to the studio. No interviews or analysis.

I know Clare Balding seems to get loads of flack, but she seemed to realise there was a big world of sport out there, and that maybe too many in racing lived in a bubble. She is also someone who researches her subject, and appears to have some knowledge of what is going on – whatever the sport. Lots don’t.

What I do recall from when I got into the sport in a bigger way; the BBC would have their races on fairly early – you could then switch over and Channel 4 were only starting their coverage.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Great to see so much passion for racing. We all want different things but if they are going to chat endlessly talk about the horses. They are so many interesting stories. What about a piece each week on horses like soba or Morley street for example. Not necessarily the best but great characters. I dont mind some of them like leona as Jason as their passion shines through. More on the horses arriving at the course and less of their opinions.
    Many times you can see which horse is up for it and which is not. The juddmonte for example. Mishriff looked primed,love looked great but wasn’t quite there. Let us judge with our own eyes before we take the plunge. Rant over.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

It’s 10 past 2 and there in a tent watching punch and Judy …….Jesus

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Watching Yarmouth on SSR. Matt Chapman said Andrea Atzeni gave a “polished ride” to Finest Sound.

I agree with Chapman more often than not – but that is complete rubbish. Atzeni gave it a terrible ride and and he was lucky he was on a horse that was good enough to get him out of jail.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Mickeyjp, I agree with you that there needs to be more focus on the horses. Having more features about some of the greats and characters of the past would definitely be interesting too. Sadly I expect that filling the airtime with chitchat about nothing in particular from the Social Stable involves rather less effort and expense!

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

I don’t see why ITV couldn’t make use of the red button..I.e. select red button to see all the horses in the paddock and then going to post .. no commentary required just a useful tool for those who wish to watch the horses and racing without the constant inane banter and please get rid of the dreadful Mark Heyes and Charlotte Hawkin on big race days..what do they do to teach anyone about racing apart from staggering around with a cocktail in one hand and a pulled pork burger in the other..useless pair. :wacko:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Good idea triptych. Certain horses are easy to spot if they are buzzing for the race. Dessie was a prime example. When he won his first king George he was full of himself before the race. 16/1 seemed an unbelievable price in hindsight. I was a big fan of combs ditch so overlooked dessie. Didn’t mind losing my bet at all.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Interesting idea.

I remember that Shadwell colt who won the Guineas, Haafhd. He was bucking and going mental before winning the Guineas, and then all the experts were saying how much he had “matured” with his docile behaviour in the preliminaries at Ascot and Goodwood. His performances got worse though, and he was stuffed in both the SJP and Sussex.

And then at the end of the season, he was bucking and squealing and going crackers pre-race again, before the Champion Stakes, and destroyed the field at 12’s.

So I agree that information could be mined from more viewing, even to an untrained eye such as mine.

BUY THE SUN

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

In the case of Haafd, mentioned above, perhaps on the going days he took his medicine while on the bad days he had spat it out.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Have to say Matt Chapman for all his faults tries as much as possible to promote racing. He was excellent on ITV racing on sat morning and had lot of ideas to keep folk in formed and entertained at a day at the races.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I like Chapman too. Heard him described as “a bully” yesterday on a Podcast I enjoy, but I don’t see that at all.

BUY THE SUN

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I heard the same Podcast.

I get where John Leng was coming from because – like just about everyone in the racing media tbh – Chapman would rather go after the smaller trainer or jockey over a questionable integrity issue.

But that aside, he’s not the clown some people think he is, he’s actually very knowledgeable about the game and has the unique ability to bridge the gap between racing anorak and “cool” member of the public and enthuse them about the game.

I bet the Peaky Blinders wannabe brigade love him!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Not sure about your last comment, Ian. He didn’t fare too well when he tried to cross over to the mainstream on Dancing On Ice a few years ago.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I’d have to also disagree Ian, with Leng as well. I may be wrong, as I do not know the man personally of course. But to me Chapman is more likely than the majority to challenge the big hitters if he thinks they are talking nonsense.

BUY THE SUN

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Gladiateur,

I thought Chapman was a bit unfortunate regarding Dancing On Ice.

If you hire Matt Chapman, it’s presumably because you like his style in his existing programme.

To hire him and expect him to be something else seems illogical to me.

Like buying marmalade then wanting it to taste like jam.

The DOI Producers should have known what they were getting and Chapman simply transferred his ITVRacing persona to DOI, assuming that was what they wanted, and it evidently wasn’t.

TTC,

I don’t really know Chapman because I left the Racing Post shortly before he joined.

Tbh I don’t know many people in the racing media who have a good word to say about him, but like most spheres it’s riven with a blend of intellectual snobbery and jealousy and a guy who makes it into terrestrial TV via use of a populist persona is never going to be popular among his original peer group.

I watch ITVRacing on mute but, on the rare occasions I’ve had the volume up, I always thought Chapman was more entertaining to listen to than the rest of them put together.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Chapman can stay.
    Hoiles, Chamberlain, Hoity Toity Cumani, the Irish lads, Oli, Rishi, they can all go. Save the company a packet.

Viewing 17 posts - 630 through 646 (of 2,296 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.