The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ITV Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Racing

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 2,296 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Mute, mute, mute!

I have said it so often – mute the entire broadcast and suddenly it’s alright.

A few annoying arty-farty camera angles during races, but I can’t remember the last time I wanted to lob a brick at the telly.

That mute button is your soothing friend where ITV Racing is concerned.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 741

The thing that’s starting to grind on my patience,when I’ve no other choice but to watch ITV is those ‘zoom’ chats with owners.They go late to a race spend 30 seconds,if we are lucky talking about the race,before using up most of the remaining time available talking to a owner who in the main rattles on about nothing of interest.
    Social stable …..rather than inflict this pair on the viewing public wouldn’t having them ‘put down’ be the most humane thing for all concerned?
    good luck to all

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Disagree, Hoiles is imo usually excellent and under-used. One of the best – if not the best – member of the ITV team. For me, he helps bring a race to life, misses very little, has a “photographic memory” and just the right tone. Not too low, not too shrill.

Each to his own.

I believe the course is so big that whoever is covering it needs two or three commentators, GSP.

Value Is Everything
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Three on course commentators, one by fence three, the other by canal turn, which is also where the “country” TV commentators are based – not very good for Mark Johnson because he, apparently, can’t stand climbing ladders.

BBC radio normally have four callers but because of COVID Gary O’Brien was missing this year so they used three – unfortunately Martin Harris didn’t have the best of calls.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Blackcountry Kid, they do love an interview don’t they. Everything has to be so perfect.
    Used to love hearing Francome who always sounded like he had a cold, John Tyrell who read out the results and sounded like he had one tooth in his head.
    With ITV nowadays it is MORE about the people and not the horses, that’s why they have a dozen of them at a time on there!

jimmy gimini
    Participant
    • Total Posts 492

Got to disagree GSP I think Richard Hoiles is the best on the show. Not so much of a fan of Francesca.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

I still don’t understand why ITV couldn’t use the red button as an escape route to view horses in the pre parade and paddock and where Weaver & Co could discuss them (off screen) as Racing TV do with their Racing Extra.
    None of the ITV presenters can match the professionalism of Hislop and Luck. Jac
    :good:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    • Total Posts 14971

Yeah, got to agree with GT and Jimmy here, the singling out of Hoiles for criticism seems way out. I find it hard to find fault with him.

Other than Jerry bloody Hannon, we’re lucky that the majority of the modern day commentators are streets ahead of those back in the day.

I’ve got RTV, but I’ll try and stick with ITV for the big meetings, but their coverage of Aintree in particular was desperate.

Why AP has survived in this role for so long is a complete mystery, he offers nothing, and is bordering on obnoxious.

I don’t have a particular beef with Francesca Cumani for all she’s fairly lightweight. Always found it strange the amount of criticism she gets, when the god awful Plunkett seems to get away Scot-free

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

I also rate Richard Hoiles.

Tony McCoy is a tricky one. His riding career was the stuff of legend, and he is the regular presenter who will be best known to the general public by far. But he is not a natural broadcaster, and does not look at ease in the role. The single-mindedness and seriousness that served him so well while riding has not translated to someone who can easily draw people in as a presenter. I do like that he is willing to give a divergent view and speak his mind, as this is somewhat of a rarity in the modern media, though he does come across as bordering on grumpy sometimes. His past career will probably mean his place on the team remains safe, but he really does need to up his game. Perhaps the recent competition from Ruby Walsh might help spur that on.

VtC, you may recall I defended Alice Plunkett when you criticised her before. To explain my opinion, I find her enthusiasm and clear love of the horses themselves adds to my enjoyment of the programme, and she brings a different dimension to a lot of the other team members. I think she’s a perfectly capable and eloquent presenter too. Would actually prefer she was given a more prominent role than Francesca for the Jumps, as Francesca is clearly more interested in the Flat.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

I’m one of those in the minority on Hoiles, but some good points here.
    Next time listen to when he takes a breath while commentating. Few and far between, not a bad thing but leaves me breathless.

I just think ITV have too many presenters, and would say on this alone they have made their programme more about people than the horses.

They are trying to deliver a slick polished product, but I prefer presenters being a bit rough around the edges.

• Total Posts 14971

Apologies Marlingford, you’re right, I didn’t get back to you. I rant about her so much across Social Media, I forget when and where those rants were lol.

I’ve no doubt she’s very knowledgeable about the horses, and their makeup, but she just makes no effort at all.

Paddock before the Classic Chase…..

Here we have horse 1, “oh, look at him, big shoulders on him”

Here we have horse 2, “ oh, a really stuffy sort, but he looks ready for business”

Here were have horse 3 “big leggy individual, yard in good form”

Back to the studio.

The following week

Paddock before the Cotswold Chase…..

Here we have horse 2, “ oh, a really stuffy sort, but he looks ready for business”

Back to the studio.

Paddock before the Haydock National Trial…..

Back to the studio.

Repeat ad nauseum

I just have no patience with the likes of her, who have the opportunity to really offer something, her knowledge is a given, but her half assed, bone idle, by numbers approach really grates. She’s basically stealing a wage (as is McCoy)

Seriously, watch her for a few weeks, and see if she deviates from that approach. She offers nothing.

The absolute worst though is when they’re back in the studio.

Right guys, thoughts on today’s Big Race….

Olly – I like Horse D, ground in his favour, and he’s down a few pounds. Unlucky last time, he’s won here before. Solid EW chance

Ruby – It’s got to be horse C. He needs a galloping track like this, and the introduction of headgear is key. Yard are over their recent lull, and nobody rides this course better than the jockey of Horse C. He’s a perfect fit for this horse, and the recent rain will only enhance his chances. The extra 2f is also important, as is that long run in, and he’s the one for me.

AP – (sulking like a spoilt child) I don’t want to be here, and don’t expect me to act otherwise. Where’s my money. Oh ok then, JP’s horse for me

Fitz – Nicky’s horse for me.

Alice F’cking Plunkett – Horse G, who is 200-1 for me. Rolls eyes and stares into the distance…….my butcher is such a wonderful chap, and he’s godfather to the to the son of the farrier in the yard, such a small scale operation, but they’re such a wonderful
    sporting outfit, it would be such a fairytale………cue looks of utter contempt towards her from the rest of them, as they can’t believe she’s getting away this crap every week

• Total Posts 14971

GSP, I’d agree with your point on too many presenters, but that applies to all sports on TV, not just racing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Sounds like watching RTV is money well spent based on the comments here!

Does McCoy ever feel happy about anything?

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Venture, very accurate post.

ITV have many of the right people, but they also have too many others that are surplus to requirements.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

VtC, although I do enjoy ITV Racing, your script at the end did make me chuckle!

Re Alice and the paddock commentaries, I agree they are not overly insightful, but think anyone performing that role would struggle. ITV spend scarcely any time on them. At Aintree they were so rushed it sounded like the poor woman was commentating on the race she was having to speak so quickly, and the very limited time they are afforded hardly lends itself to detailed analysis.

As I say though, I’d prefer to see her in the anchorperson role that Francesca tends to take as that is where her enthusiasm and love of the sport could shine more.

I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one, but good to understand where you are coming from.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Both fitzy and Harvey have the experience now to be comfortable in front of the camera , I get the feeling McCoy never will , he gets asked a question , he answers that’s it , I still miss francome , insightful and bloody funny with it

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

The ITV racing coverage reminds me of the sketch between Andre Previn and Eric Morecambe. “I’m playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order”.

ITV have the right people but not doing this right things with them, and there are a few bum notes thrown in too.

Going forward, two of the main analysts for big meetings should be Kevin Blake and Ruby Walsh. With both of them living in Ireland it makes it more difficult to have them every Saturday throughout the season so the two UK based analysts should be Andrew Thornton and Luke Harvey. I would also be keen to see what Richard Johnson would be like in the role.

I’d have a role for Mick Fitz too, he is improving and is respected when talking to jockeys down at the start.

Plunkett possibly would be useful for something else, but surplus to requirements on raceday really.

Cumani shouldn’t be on the national hunt team, flat only, but gender balance is all the rage now so she seems to be given a prominent role. Surplus to requirements for NH.

McCoy adds very little to the quality of the programmes.

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 2,296 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.