The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish runners in Britain

Home Forums Horse Racing Irish runners in Britain

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1506

what is the story with so many Irish runners in summer NH meetings? Is this the first year it’s happened? It’s a good thing, I reckon, tho I saw a 100-1 yesterday; presumably the from lines are difficult to equate

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Well Ireland dont have as many meetings in a week as we do and these horses need to run and if we can produce good ground then they are entitled to come over and race and fill up the fields.

Plus travelling is easier with Ferries from Ireland going to Stranraer for runners at Perth, Holyhead for Bangor,Uttoxeter and Fishguard,Pembroke for Ffos Las and Worcester.

Irish horses have always come here for the summer meetings, You only have to look at the entries in Irish Jump meetings and you see 60+ entered in a 2m Maiden Hurdle and lots cannot get a run at all.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

what is the story with so many Irish runners in summer NH meetings? Is this the first year it’s happened? It’s a good thing, I reckon, tho I saw a 100-1 yesterday; presumably the from lines are difficult to equate

Since summer jumping, it will be easier for some of the Ulster and Northern Republic trained horses to nip over to the likes of Perth for their regular meetings and they won’t have missed the opportunities available at Cartmel either. Both are sharpish track suited to some of the Irish summer horses and our ground is often better than theirs. I notice that Musselburgh and Kelso are getting runners at their meetings perhaps on the back of that.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

The ground is a huge factor in the numbers going over this summer- it’s been raining here for the past few lifetimes, it feels like…

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Many years ago Paddy Sleator used to send his whole stable over to England for the summer. I can’t recall to whom he sent them but i think the trainer’s name was Thompson.Can some one correct me on this?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Vague memory of it, would it have been Harry Thomson-Jones?

Colin

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

Both are sharpish track suited to some of the Irish summer horses and our ground is often better than theirs. I notice that Musselburgh and Kelso are getting runners at their meetings perhaps on the back of that.

Many trainers cite the decent ground at Musselburgh as a reason for running their horses there. Perth’s preparation of their track, with a ready source of water from the nearby Tay (and they get first pick before the good folk of the Fair City), means that ground is regualrly presented in superb condition.

Good or fast ground is always likely to encourage Irish trainers to travel over as such conditions are more likely this side of the Irish Sea. Another factor, particularly with maiden hurdlers, is the frequent balloting out in Ireland. It’s got to the point where some maiden and novice hurdles, particularly at Perth, now have a majority of Irish runners.

Tony Martin set the standard when first plundering Scottish racing a few years back and many have followed his example since. Gordon Elliott has really made his mark in the last couple of seasons and I believe James Lambe had a runner in every race at Cartmel last week.

Rob

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Speaking of Cartmel Rob – what did you make of it?

I also see they have picked up an extra fixture next season – the Thursday evening before the August Bank Holiday.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

Paul

Cartmel report just going up on ‘North’s Notes’.

It took me a couple of races and an ejection form the Owners and Trainers bit of the stand to fathom the place out. We parked in the Paddock Enclosure though in retrospect we would have been better off in the Course Enclosure. However, Aileen was happy enough to sit by the car and get a few glimpses of the horses as they passed plus watching on the ‘small screen’ sited by the wood. We took a picnic which is probably the way to do it, but the wafts of barbecue get a bit wearing after a while.

I worked out the best spot for watching was atop the hill in the course Enclosure. Certainly good enough for decent race reading, though I had to watch replays of the finishes as there are marquees and fairground rides and stalls in the way. Not absolutely perfect but the view of the fences was fine and particularly the four on the wood side. A bit of leg work required to get to and from the paddock and inter-race liaisons with ‘herself’ were limited to a couple of minute stops at the car!

A qualified thumbs up basically!

We were in Cartmel for the week and stayed in self-catering accomodation at a place called Longlands just outside the village. Pleasant accomodation which I would recommend to others, though it does come at a premium in Bank Holiday race weeks.

I understand the crowd was a best for this race date and the Racecourse Executive were chuffed to get a seventh race day for next year, though it’s generally accepted that seven days will be the limit. Village businesses clear ‘mint it’ on race days judging by the between races flow of racegoers across the course to the village.

Rob

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Fully appreciate all the comments you make. I suppose I am lucky in that I do get access to the Owners and Trainers section of the stand, which affords reasonable viewing for race reading plus I can see the big screen for when they are in the woods.

Re parking we always arrive early and park on the paddock side either by the open ditch or by the village start – Ann is usually happy staying at either of those locations and occasionally visiting the parade ring.

Going into the village is always a must – hence the early arrival – inevitably coming back with a cool bag full of sticky toffee and (more importantly) sticky ginger pudding.

I think seven days is the most the course will get – they have to balance the inevitable impact on the locals with the benefits.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Musselburgh’s jumps track is excellent imo. Really good to be able to aim bare two-milers there in winter and know there is a likelihood that the ground won’t be too testing and also in the knowledge that the prize money is very good.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Cartmel report just going up on ‘North’s Notes’.

A qualified thumbs up basically!

:D

Agree with DJ about Musselburgh – never been there to see the course up close and personal, but it always appears as trustworthy a provider of fair surfaces as you’ll get in the depths of winter (although Ffos Las may rival it for that mantle over time); and the twin contests of the Scottish Triumph and Scottish County Hurdles in particular are certainly credibly-enough endowed.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

Only problem I’ve noticed at Musselburgh was a couple of jump seasons back when the stands’ bend resembled a ‘tattie field’. It looked in better nick last season. There was a plan to close for a while to do remedial work, but I presume the economic climate has necessitated a rethink.

Each jumps meeting at Musselburgh last season had ‘good’ in the description and Anthea isn’t normally one to avoid the truth. Some of the racing last season was as good a quality as has been seen over jumps at Mussleburgh. People sometimes take some convincing as to how reasonable the weather can be in that area, but Dunbar a bit down the coast is the driest place in Britain. In addition being on a links area means the drainage is excellent.

Rob

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

If I as an owner was based in Ireland,I would insist my trainer raced in the UK. It is no game to be in if you are ballotted out every week which happens in Ireland.
    What is the number of racehorses compared to the UK?. Why does this happen?

bluechariot
    Participant
    • Total Posts 570

Andy I think his name was Thomas

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

If I as an owner was based in Ireland,I would insist my trainer raced in the UK. It is no game to be in if you are ballotted out every week which happens in Ireland.
    What is the number of racehorses compared to the UK?. Why does this happen?

Latst figures I could find from a search were for 2003, though I’m sure someone could come up with more recent figures. However, it does illustrate the problem.

Horses ballotted out
    UK – 1185
    Ireland – 4323

Number of starters
    UK – 83063
    Ireland – 29802

Number of races
    UK – 8028
    Ireland – 2166

We get a figure of declarations per race of
    UK – 10.5
    Ireland – 15.6

That pretty clearly illustrates the problem. It’s harder to win races in Ireland hence the non-achievers will ‘back up’ in maidens and low grade handicaps to worsen the problem at that end.

Rob

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Arthur Thomas?

Colin

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.