The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish racing continues on -thoughts?

Home Forums Horse Racing Irish racing continues on -thoughts?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1478

Tank, the no wedding, christening or other party’s allowed. But funerals allowed, but family members only.

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4812

I’m very uncomfortable with racing continuing in Ireland, I dont think it should be.

The social distancing requirements that the rest of us are being asked to comply with to potentially save lives, are not being observed by the lad/lass leading the horse around when the jockey is on board. It’s probably impossible to maintain two meters separation under those circumstances.

Also think its very selfish of the Irish racing industry to continue, in the full knowledge that an injured jockey, stalls handler, groom, etc. may well need a hospital bed(s) for several weeks or months on any given day, given the unprecedented stress that is and will be placed on our health service in the coming weeks and months. We have half the ICU beds per head in Ireland compared to Italy.

I wonder how Davy or Robbie or Rachel will feel if the hospital bed they lay prone in after a bad fall at the races means others will die because there was no more hospital capacity available.

I really dont understand the mentality that allows them to continue. The commendable national effort going on here at the moment seemingly doesn’t apply to racing.

I love racing, I wish it was on every day, I miss it, I get the economic arguments for keeping it going and the desire to minimize job losses.

But you know what, we’re in an emergency here. My own industry is gone south (again), hundreds of thousands of us are in the same boat. Get in the queue.

Its a bubbles bubble these racing people live in.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5099

you now can be fined for 2 people coming together who are not related. Police have been given the authority to disperse gathering of 2 or more people

For the avoidance of doubt police dispersal applies to more than 2 people, not 2 or more

From the government’s official guidance here:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874742/Full_guidance_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others__1_.pdf

3. STOPPING PUBLIC GATHERINGS
    To make sure people are staying at home and apart from each other, the Government is also stopping all
    public gatherings of more than two people.

There are only two exceptions to this rule:
    ● where the gathering is of a group of people who live together – this means that a parent can, for
    example, take their children to the shops if there is no option to leave them at home.
    ● where the gathering is essential for work purposes – but workers should be trying to minimise all
    meetings and other gatherings in the workplace.
    In addition, the Government is stopping social events, including weddings, baptisms and other religious
    ceremonies. This will exclude funerals, which can be attended by immediate family.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5099
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 422

Irish racing will have to stop. The guidelines are being breached at small meetings at Thurles and Downpatrick. What chance is there of being observed at Punchestown where there are many more runners?

Louise12
    Participant
    • Total Posts 197

Point to point season cancelled, as of today.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2268

Observed whilst walking home last night were two groups of four, quite certainly not from the same household, gathering and chatting in a huddle and a long queue at the McDonalds Drive-through out onto and up a busy main road. Yes people are daft enough to queue for god knows how long to get a final McDonalds before they close for a short while :wacko:

At least I will be able to go for my walk each day (exercise). I have been practicing social distancing most of my life so I’m an expert at it :good:

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2664

“All sporting fixtures are now cancelled, even those behind closed doors.” – Irish PM just now.

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1500

Once again the same boring question: what took them so long?

Are they more immune than the rest of the world? Do they know more about the virus than other countries?

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 422

Suspended until 19th April. That keeps the door open for Punchestown but I cannot see that meeting taking place.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 208

Was always going to be sooner rather than later, sadly.

I’ve ordered more books from Ebay tonight, would usually be buying more from the charity shops as well, but they are all closed

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

If you want a good book to read Tank; the bible is just out.
    Timeform Racehorses Of 2019. :yes:

value is everything
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

Bloody daft having jockeys racing in close proximity and yet everyone else expected to keep well apart.
    Irish Racing had no choice.

value is everything
    Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 208

Don’t choke, Ginge, but I wouldn’t have that if it was free. Too much like hard work ploughing through that. I like to pick ones as a back to lay, maybe 4 or 5 in big fields, and a couple or more in smaller. Doesn’t worry me if I have,say, a 20/1 shot winning and I’ve thrown away a quarter of the profit, it all comes out in the wash and I like to think it comes out in my favour – suppose I should really check that out sometime :-)

You’d laugh at my methods but they do consistently produce a small profit. Certain jockeys as well will always carry my money and low weights in handicaps. What I do love is the times that my book goes all green and can end up winning, albeit a small amount, on a horse that I’ve not had a penny on – how’s that for value! God bless Betfair :yahoo:

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.