The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish racing continues on -thoughts?

Home Forums Horse Racing Irish racing continues on -thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8785

The RP describe Irish racing as a ‘welcome distraction.’ Maybe, in light of the emerging situation, data and evidence from other countries, it is not that welcome. Jockeys, for example, how are they distancing (milling round in close proximity at the start on Saturday’s tv action).

What do we think, if you were Irish would you be happy if your workplace was closing down but racing was continuing? Or is the fact that they have things in place to contain possible spread enough to justify continuing?

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 419

It is a welcome distraction but I cannot see it lasting much longer. No other European country is still racing and Ireland’s approach looks like an anachronism. I also find it difficult to believe that a large meeting like Punchestown can realistically take place behind closed doors.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22208

Wouldn’t want to be in the weighing room if I was a jockey,
    I’m guessing they still have valets in there too?
    I’d be asking Blackmore to make room for me

Member since March 2008
    homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2268

I thought the jockeys were social distancing in the parade ring but obviously distancing yourself in a race with 16 runners is going to be difficult at the start and in the early stages.

Again with 16 runner fields distancing yourself in the weighing room may prove difficult.

Due to the industry been a fairly large part of the Irish economy (probably much larger than any European country) then the government there will want to carry on racing for as along as possible. I cannot see it happening beyond the Irish National though and maybe even shut down later this week (before Saturday’s Curragh fixture).

What I want to know is that as I do not have betting accounts and only bet in-shop can I claim 80% of my projected winnings from the government due to missing out on these? I picked two winners on Saturday at 3s and 20s.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

Only time will tell if this was a good idea or not. So far so good though and fingers crossed it can continue; especially now when we are going to feel guilty for just leaving the house. us living alone are very glad for any small mercies.

Sad times

Louise12
    Participant
    • Total Posts 197

Running horses in a deserted racecourse is a gesture – grooms and trainers work and travel together, are more likely to meet others on the road than if they did not travel at all, and may be forced to meet vets or doctors at close contact if something happens. Obviously it also means greater activity behind the scenes (at the course and at home) than if racing stopped. On the news this evening they made a point of saying that it’s the only sport continuing – there seemed a hint of disapproval rather than admiration, I thought.

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2664

After the UK Prime Minister’s latest restrictions, which surely Mr Varadkar is likely to follow, HRI’s position is looking increasingly uncomfortable. The storm is coming, have no doubt, and I really think they need to pull this overly-optimistic project.

There’s a severe risk that racing may be seen to be self-obsessed and tone deaf to the public mood if the game goes on when people are dying en masse.

Mike

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8785

Racing is already viewed in some quarters as mercenary. Continuing to race in the midst of such a national/global crisis may add to that perception.

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1471

From what I gather from ITV racing is that Irish Racing is going ahead with only 1 meeting a day, and that has to be in the afternoon with at least 30 minutes between racing and no non essential personal allowed. Which means if jockeys are not needed for the race forth coming they sit it out in their cars.

However if the Irish Government does the same as Borice then that could stop as well. As gathering of two or more people are forbidden.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

Rummy, it’s Boris, have a bit of respect for the twat :whistle:

and two people is not a gathering.

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1471

Sorry about getting Boris’s name wrong. But on the second part, you’re wrong as you now can be fined for 2 people coming together who are not related. Police have been given the authority to disperse gathering of 2 or more people. I work in the retail business for a large supermarket, where people are still panic buying and the will still be lots of people gathering there, less than the advice 2 metres apart.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9951

Fully expected the Irish racing to be abandoned tomorrow…I would love it to keep going but feel it will all be called off in a few days. It just doesn’t seem the right thing to be doing while the virus is spreading.

We have to adjust to a life we have never known before and I’ve followed horse racing since I was 7 years old, I’ll miss my friends at Newmarket more than anything this year but I also want to see them all again next year so I’m following the guidelines to hopefully make that happen.. :rose: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

Hadn’t realised it was that strict, Rummy. So all the lads on the Betfair forum won’t be able to meet up with their pretendy girlfriends – that’s well cruel :cry:

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

To be serious – I’d be amazed if a boy and girl, not related but entwined, could be in any sort of trouble being seen out in public.

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1471

It might get worse as I overheard a customer talking about Ration Books, although it was just idle talk I wonder how long before such measures are brought in.

Must add though that if everyone acts sensible the enough food to go around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.