The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish National 2013

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish National 2013

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

It’s that time of year when those of us holding Ante-Post vouchers for Aintree, look at the entries for Fairyhouse……….and panic.

As usual, the big guns are all well represented.

JP has Prince of Pirates, Lost Glory, Alderwood, Quantitativeeasing (he better no line up, I’d have to bet him), and most interesting of all, Alfie Sherrin, amongst others. I’m hoping Lost Glory, along with Bob Lingo head to Aintree. I know how that’ll work out. I think Colbert Stations lack of entry may be a sign he’s really primed for Aintree.

Gigginstown have Roi Du Mee, Dedigout, Magnanimity, Romanesco, Tofino Bay, Toner D’Oudairies, Sea of Thunder, and Panther Claw amongst their entries. Maybe too low in the weights for Panther Claw, his day may come in the Welsh Equivalent. I’d expect Giggs to have about 25 runners in this, the Jockeys caps situation, may end up a tad confusing.

Graham Wylie, has Boston Bob, and Back in Focus entered as well, though BB surely an unlikely runner.

Other notable entries include top weights, Quel Esprit, Junior, Forpadydeplaterer, Galaxy Rock, and Bostons Angel.

Impossible really to get a real handle on it at the moment, but of JP’s contingent, Prince of Pirates, and particularly Alfie Sherrin stand out. Alfies withdrawal from Aintree today was the only real surprise, and providing his defection isn’t down to unsoundness, then that may be a major clue.

The 3 Giggs Novices, Sea of Thunder, Tofino Bay, and Romanesco also appeal. Tofino, and Romanesco are entered for Aintree, but with Tofino guaranteed a run, this may be a more viable option for Romanesco.

Alfie Sherrin would be the preference at the moment, with a nod to the 2 Giggs horses, and, of course, about a dozen other.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 626

Back In Focus. That is all*.

FLD

*At least until I have a chance to look at the entries properly and then decide to have another one or two running for me, just in case.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Dodged a bullet with Alfie Sherrin, as he’s been withdrawn.

Still like the look of Sea of Thunder, and he’d be right up there for me, though, he’d appear to be ground dependent. The other Giggs horse, Romanesco still appeals too, though still hoping above hope that he sneaks into Aintree. Can’t argue with them swerving Aintree for this though, as if he were mine, with him guatanteed a run at Fairyhouse, I’d probably take this route as well.

One, a way at the bottom, and out of the weights, is my old friend/foe Caduceus.

On a "going day" I’d have to have an interest in him too………….never know what to expect with him, to be honest I’m hoping he doesn’t get in, it’ll save me a few quid

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7865

Oh; this is t’other thread! VtC; Worried that Romanesco had a hard race at Cheltenham [was it on here that someone said he was an unusual Gigginstown purchase??]. Lost my National bet on Alfie [ouch]. Please don’t let bloomin’ Magnanimity win this one [well backed isn’t he?] the one time I don’t back him.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Moe, I’d definitely agree that he’s had a hard race, but would be willing to take a chance. Selfishly, I want him to be kept for Aintree, as on at silly odds. Gigginstown still have, what seems like half the entries, so I’ve held fire with any bets for the timebeing.

There’s still a few others that appeal, and another that interests me is JP’s Carlingofrd Lough, but prob hold off until the day now.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

With the runners declared, I’m stuck between Carlingford Lough, and the Giggs pair, Panther Claw and Romanesco.

Panther Claw is my long term fancy for the Welsh National, and didn’t expect him to get in here, but as he’s got him, I’m leaning towards him more and more.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7865

Can’t quite believe how low in the weights we’re going down to in both this and the National but wish I’d backed Panther Claw when he was a bigger price [never thought he’d get in]. Along with Whodoyouthink and Jadanli I may have a small ew on my old favourite Our Victoria, to place [although haven’t looked at the race properly yet].

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5483

I’ve backed

YOU MUST KNOW ME

for tomorrow’s Irish grand National. He’s a winner on deep ground over three miles already and is very unexposed over fences. The step up from 2.5 miles should be in his favour and there’s worse 25/1 shots.

Panther Claw

is respected, and I’ll probably back him also, off a very light weight.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 626

OK, so maybe BIF won’t be taking this one en route to Cheltenham glory, but it still looks like a good race.

You need a horse which has won over three miles, won going right handed and has some experience – lightly-raced novices* need not apply.

I’ve got three here.

Panther Claw needs no introduction, while the ever-consistent Start Me Up (who seems to have run in every Irish handicap I’ve ever had a bet on and always does reasonably well) and the somewhat aptly-named Quietly Fancied fit the trends, and thus make my three against the field.

FLD

*Yes, yes, I know Lion Na Bearnai won it last year, but he’d had lots of starts before his first chase win, while the likes of Organisedconfusion and Numbersixvalverde had quite tough novice seasons.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

venjee
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

Rich Revival

Romenesco

Panther Claw

Panther Claw to give Katie a win?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.