The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Slave Trade

Home Forums Lounge Slave Trade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I must say I am very sorry for the slave trade.

Would anyone else like to join me in apologising and explain who I am apologising to and why?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

The time has come for African nations to declare their thanks to the British for bringing about an end to slavery. Ken Livingstone should shove his weasel-like apologies on our behalf up his  an*s: we’ve nothing to apologise for.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

As much as I am appalled by the slave trade. I shall not be apologising on behalf of my forebears – they were too busy in the Workhouse to know it was going and certaintly didn’t benefit directly from it.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I don’t really think any amount of apologies would undo the suffering caused by the slave trade. It is a historical fact and we can’t change it. You can be ashamed that our country took part in and benefitted from it, proud that it was Britain who took the lead in abolishing it, both or neither, it changes nothing.

It would be far more use for people to take the commemoration of the abolition of slavery as a spur to  concentrate on tackling the slavery that exists now, and nowhere is it more prevalent than Mr Livingstone’s own glorious city, gateway to the world’s people traffickers.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

(1) What’s next? The italians apologising for the Roman empire?

(2) If taking these slaves from Africa was so terrible, why aren’t their ancestors undoing this by going back?

It should be the descendents of those left behind that should be asking for an apology. <br> <br>Imagine living in Africa, what a ****<br>ing hellhole.

Yours,

Lolly’s Mate

(Edited by stevedvg at 4:00 pm on Mar. 25, 2007)

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

:laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Actually, I think the idea of financial reparation makes sense.

I, for one, would be happy to make amends by paying a few quid to the descendents of the slaves.

Of course, in the name of consistency, the rest of the world should each pay the Scots £50 as a thank you for discovering penicillin.

And, if they’ve got a TV, £10 a year sounds about fair for that …

… once we’ve decided on the fees for using the rest of our inventions, we’ll get back to you.

Steve

(Edited by stevedvg at 5:22 pm on Mar. 25, 2007)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. it seems to me that the treatment of slaves was actually better than the treatment the local white population recieved at that time, by the landed gentry. I mean .. go ask the Irish or the Highlanders.

.. where’s my apology ?

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

No problem Stevedvg –

But we want a rebate on:

Carol Smiley<br>Take The High Road<br>Battered Marsbars<br>That Proclaimers Song<br>The Crankies<br>Mel Gibson<br>Justin and Jason<br>Curling

any more I’ll let you know. <br>

(Edited by Pompete at 9:07 pm on Mar. 25, 2007)

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

No problem Stevedvd –

That’s Stevedvg, I’m not a form of multi-media.

I don’t think you can expect compensation from the Scots for the crap TV we’ve produced.

After all, you’ve chosen to afflict yourself with Thommo and Jade Goody …

Steve

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Quote: from stevedvg on 8:51 pm on Mar. 25, 2007[br]No problem Stevedvd –

That’s Stevedvg, I’m not a form of multi-media.

I don’t think you can expect compensation from the Scots for the crap TV we’ve produced.

After all, you’ve chosen to afflict yourself with Thommo and Jade Goody …

Steve<br>

Well you talk more crap than all the media put together!

:laugh:

Well someone was going to say it! :biggrin:

TROTTER
    • Total Posts 67

PERHAPS THE ROMANS VIKINGS & NORMANS SHOULD COMPENSATE ME FOR PUTTING MY ANCESTORS TO SLAVERY .IN TRUTH PROBABLY EVRY RACE ON EARTH HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN SLAVERY TO SOME DEGREE IN THE PAST .I GET THE FEELING THAT SOME COLOURED PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY WILL DO ANYTHING TO HAVE A POP AT WHITE PEOPLE  .

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

How’s your Caps Lock button, Trotter? Still sticking? ;)

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

B*******! And there was me thinking NO-ONE could possibly have my aviator! :(

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

ROMANS VIKINGS & NORMANS SHOULD COMPENSATE ME FOR PUTTING MY ANCESTORS TO SLAVERY

Thats a lot of bad luck for one family. You’d have thought they’d learn to run faster.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.