Hexham – 19th November

Home Forums Archive Topics TRF Group – Outlaw Tom & The Village Hexham – 19th November

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4245

OUTLAW TOM is entered for the 4 mile 0-120 Northumberland County Handicap Chase at Hexham on Wednesday November 19th. There are only 9 entered for a race which carries 6 prizes, so a clear round is likely to guarantee some sort of return.

Course and distance suit to a tee. The going is likely to be heavy given the forecast, but Tom has sound record in the heavy round Hexham. Top weight Scotswell is a decent animal at this level but has been below his best of late and wouldn’t be certain to run if it comes up heavy. The one I would keep an eye on is Snuker who is nicknamed ‘the tractor’ by his trainer as he just keeps ploughing through the mud. He would be the one to beat if taking up the engagement.

Rob

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

He’s the Radio 4 Today programme’s pick of the day! No pressure…..

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16185

Going to be hard work today, 4 miles in the very wet ground. Lets hope he does himself proud, and gets round safe and sound.

Hopefully the Radio 4 boys will be right, and he also gets round in front.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4245

It was hard work in the last mile and Outlaw Tom did pretty well to close a little up the hill, but the effort told and he was eased home. He tried his best but it was too testing and Tom is understandably careful jumping out of deep ground. Paul reports that he’s likely to have a bit of a rest now and will likely appear again early in 2015.

Once again an honest effort.

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

He wasn’t disgraced at all I didn’t think. He tried hard, and just ran out of steam over the last couple of furlongs in horrible ground. He did look to be having a second wind at one stage, but couldn’t maintain it. As you say, probably needs a well deserved rest.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16185

He deserves a proper rest, that was some slog today. I’m still recovering from standing in it, never mind running in it. The TV didn’t really show how wet it was during the race as well.

Peter Buchanan said Tom wasn’t confident at all jumping out of that ground, so all in all, a brave effort, giving the winner a fair bit of weight too.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

He deserves a proper rest, that was some slog today. I’m still recovering from standing in it, never mind running in it. The TV didn’t really show how wet it was during the race as well.

Peter Buchanan said Tom wasn’t confident at all jumping out of that ground, so all in all, a brave effort, giving the winner a fair bit of weight too.

Outlaw Tom isn’t “confident at all jumping out of” ANY “ground” these days. Jockeys tend to tell the owners whatever they want to hear.

He goes best on “that” heavy ground, so there is no excuse. :unsure:

I’d have said this about other horses of his age who’s enthusiasm and jumping has gone, so sorry but will say it about Outlaw Tom:

Can his owners please retire the horse.
    Has an “x” in Timeform for poor jumper and if he hadn’t got an x it would probably be a squiggle.

value is everything
    milnathortmilnathort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Hi Ginger,

Interesting thoughts about Outlaw Tom, but a he’s by Luso and we’ve had him for a while now and we know him very well. The fact is he’s a much better horse on better ground (6 wins, 3 Good ground, 2 Good to Soft and 1 Soft…………0 on heavy), Campbell Gillies and Peter Buchanan wouldn’t lie to us as their agent was and still is our racing manager.

“Tom” has always been liable to make mistakes, from the day we bought he seems to miss one during the race, usually when its soft ground

We nearly retired him last year after he was out for 18 months injured and he lost his zest, he had one run to prove himself or he was being retired, he went and won by half the track!!!!

The good news for you is we’ve discussed his future and he will more than likely retire at the end of this season under rules, we respect your thoughts and we are saving him for better ground and maybe a finale at his favourite track Hexham. If Tom has an x in Timeform so be it, although a squiggle for being ungenuine is for from true, 19 out of his 35 runs (rules/ptp) have been in the first four placings.

You can rest assured, he is cared for very well and his retirement home is all secured and we will make sure he is looked after very well.

Many thanks for you concerns :good:

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

It seems then that you do not know the horse as well as you believe Milnathort. Horses change requirements through their careers. Outlaw Tom now needs a thorough test and therefore very soft ground can be advantageous, bringing his abundant stamina in to play. Makes mistakes whatever the ground. All owners notice wins, but just because a horse wins it is not neccesarily a better form effort than a place. Last win (on good-soft) was off a mark of only 93 and did not need as good a performance as his next start, a 5 lengths 2nd (off a mark a stone higher 107) on heavy ground at Hexham on May 10th 2014. Form which is as good as any shown in almost 3 years (since the win on March 25th 2012, which he’s in all probability no longer capable of). Although it may not have been the case earlier in his career… Outlaw Tom’s ability on heavy ground these days is at least as good as the ability he can show on good-soft. All his best recent efforts have come in strongly run (possibly even overly strongly run) races at 3m1f or further. Probably needs at least good-soft to be effective at that trip nowadays. Only at 4 miles is he imo still likely to be effective on “good” ground.

Your assertion of Outlaw Tom as consistent just because often comes in the first 4 is something only the most loving owner could believe. :scratch: Often raced in small, uncompetitive races. Some of those 4th places have been last of 4 finishers. Even in the the 3rd of 7 in March last year… 3 of the 7 did not finish and was some 46 lengths behind the winner; producing a Timeform rating 29 lbs below even his current best. Only in 3 of last 12 races has achieved a rating anywhere near what he’s still (when in the mood) capable of.

Temperament shows itself in many forms. Although genuine in a finish, Outlaw Tom has become increasingly lazy and inconsistent. Which is why imo deserves a squiggle as well as the x. Laziness means he now stays further than once was the case, now suited by an out and out stamina test. Don’t know why he’s been tried in a tongue tie the last twice (does not seem to have worked) particularly puzzling when coming after such a good run at Ayr. Although there was a time I’d never have said these words about Outlaw Tom – I feel he’s worth another try at 4 miles on heavy ground without the tongue tie. Is there another opportunity at his beloved Hexham? Blinkers, visor and cheek pieces all worked well when used for the first time, either running well or returning to form. May be a visor or blinkers are worth another go, as he’s now got used to the cheek pieces?

If waiting for “better ground”, falling on a harder surface at a faster speed has a greater chance of injury or worse.

Although I am glad Outlaw Tom is to “retire at the end of this season under rules”; Do find the “under rules” bit a little disconcerting. Suits some ex-racehorses, some it doen’t, will he still be jumping fences under the amateur code? :-(

Am sure Outlaw Tom is and will be cared for very well Milnathort, wish him and your syndacate luck whatever you decide to do. :good:

value is everything
    milnathortmilnathort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Sadly no more 4m races at Hexham until next Autumn. I’ve been in this game a long time and I know exactly what you mean, don’t worry I put this idea of retirement to the partners in January, as a syndicate horse we must get everyone’s views. Tom means a lot to me personally as he will retire to us and he came home for summer to ours,he was with us for 6 months whilst injured and we got him back. His “home” is three fields from Hexham racecourse so he clearly enjoys the air around this part of Northumberland with his strike rate at the track.

If we have to go down the road of changing head gear I’d say that is the time to stop with him, he’s in at Carlisle over 3m2f in a 0-110 on Thursday and if he runs we’ll review after the race.

The plans for his retirement are straight forward, but he’s not an easy horse at home, quite a character and isn’t straight forward, so he’ll spend most of his time out and about in the hills around Hexham, he’ll do some hunting and maybe do the odd p2p at the likes of Corbridge and Hexham to keep him ticking over (members races) but that is all “ifs and buts”

You wrote a very good assessment of him and I would not argue with you, he is no gold cup horse, but he’s been a real star for us, not many people have a winner, he’s supplied us with some memorable days.

Many thanks

PAUL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.