The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Here We Go Again

Home Forums Horse Racing Here We Go Again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    highflyer1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

After declaring to the world at Cheltenham on Wednesday that Racing Demon was a "cetain runner" at Carlisle, and that she was so looking forward to visiting the course and no, he wouldn’t in the least bit mind the soft ground — well blow me down, our beloved Henrietta has gone and changed her mind.

So we’ve been deprived of a mouth-watering clash between two of the best young chasers in the country. But it was never going to happen, was it?

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Thread already started about this.

https://theracingforum.co.uk/cgi-bin … topic=9994

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

We’ll see Racing Demon once before the new year, then at the end of Feb.  Then she’ll wrap him up in cotton wool until Chelters, just like a race primed Bridgestone tyre ;)

The Wizard
    • Total Posts 92

Hang on for a sec…whilst I agree this is frustrating and we’d all like to see the best chasers taking each other on, she has an obligation to do (what she believes to be) the best for the horse, and the connections. And let’s not forget that not many trainers have trained a triple Gold Cup winner!

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Although I’d agree that Hen has a tendency to err on the side of caution if I had a promising second season chaser the last thing I would want to do is run him on heavy ground at Carlisle and risk bottoming him for the season.

To be fair you couldn’t possibly argue that at all times Hen has nothing but the welfare of the horse as paramount.  Ergo she is a trainer a lot of owners would die for, if a little frustrating at times maybe.  There’s not a lot you can do with a broken down horse!

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

I agree, SL, and in this case she may be justified in not running him on the slop at Carlisle.

But she has plenty of previous in making big plans and scrapping them left, right and centre, and sometimes it just gets a bit tedious.

Best Mate was a big strong horse and a few more runs in his life would have done him no harm whatsoever. Not many trainers have trained a triple Gold Cup winner, but then not many trainers have a horse that good in the yard. I can think of about 50 trainers who would have won three Gold Cups with Best Mate had Jim Lewis sent him to be trained elsewhere.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from Lincoln Duncan on 10:50 pm on Oct. 27, 2006[br]I can think of about 50 trainers who would have won three Gold Cups with Best Mate had Jim Lewis sent him to be trained elsewhere.

Name them then.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from davidjohnson on 11:04 pm on Oct. 27, 2006[br]

Quote: from Lincoln Duncan on 10:50 pm on Oct. 27, 2006[br]I can think of about 50 trainers who would have won three Gold Cups with Best Mate had Jim Lewis sent him to be trained elsewhere.<br>

Name them then.<br>

<br>Oliver Carter, Patrick Millington and Simon T Lewis for starters :biggrin:<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 11:08 pm on Oct. 27, 2006)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

No help allowed.:biggrin:

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Dr Pritchard, even

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I think the trainer is one of the most underrated factors that people take into account when having a bet. I always find it amusing when people use the phrase ‘Give him the tools and he’ll do as good a job as any.’ It’s patently not true. How Grey Abbey’s owners must be wishing they’d have switched him from Finbar Murtagh’s 2 or 3 seasons before they did.

Similarly virtually any horse that joins the likes of Sue Smith, Gary Moore, Alan King, Peter Bowen and Evan Williams to name just five is almost guaranteed to improve.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

On the last few seasons’ evidence, but more so this year than ever before, I’d add Alison Thorpe to that list in a heartbeat, DJ.<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Without doubt this year gc. Though I got my fingers burnt on Pilca in the week so thought I’d leave her off it:biggrin:

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Nothing wrong whatsoever with Knight skipping Carlisle.<br>Why should the horse make its seasonal debut against the potentially top class Monet’s Garden on a stiff trick on heavy going?<br>Yes, she can be accused of seeming indecesion over running plans and wrapping her best horses in "cotton wool" but always takes a long term view in the best interests of her charges. Do you want your horse to peak at the Cheltenham November meeting like Pipe’s or at the festival?<br>Her recruitment of TJ Murphy on a second claim is also a shrewd move ,as his patient style is suited to her training methods. How often he will be available in practice is another matter.<br>It’s been debated  at great length on TRF whether Best Mate was another  Arkle , but nonetheless producing the horse on the day to win 3 Gold Cups was a magnificent achievement. I too would like to see the list of 50 trainers who could have done the same.<br>Incidentally is O’Neill guilty of "cotton wool" treatment in not matching Black Jack Ketchum against My Way De Solzen at Wetherby today given the ground?

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from Lincoln Duncan on 10:50 pm on Oct. 27, 2006[br]I agree, SL, and in this case she may be justified in not running him on the slop at Carlisle.

But she has plenty of previous in making big plans and scrapping them left, right and centre, and sometimes it just gets a bit tedious.

Best Mate was a big strong horse and a few more runs in his life would have done him no harm whatsoever. Not many trainers have trained a triple Gold Cup winner, but then not many trainers have a horse that good in the yard. I can think of about 50 trainers who would have won three Gold Cups with Best Mate had Jim Lewis sent him to be trained elsewhere.<br>

Hen does nothing terribly different from other trainers except for talk too much.  If she left her plans open ended instead of drawing attension to them  only to then have to change them, none of this would be any big deal.

I dont think many trainers would have won 3 GC even with Best Mate but then how many would have aimed him so specifically…Henderson perhaps.

SHL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.