The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

greatest tragedy

Home Forums Lounge greatest tragedy

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 15015

gc

Spot on, he clears the fence fine, and abot 50 yards on disaster strike! Horrible!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

I feel that Animal Aid have every right to highlite potential problems, but I did feel after Ballyhane died of a heart attack several years ago that it was the mayhem caused by such people prior to the race that was partly responsible for it happening. By all means let them state their case, but don’t create a situation where highly strung animals are made even more so by such behaviour.

• Total Posts 980

I feel that Animal Aid have every right to highlite potential problems, but I did feel after Ballyhane died of a heart attack several years ago that it was the mayhem caused by such people prior to the race that was partly responsible for it happening. By all means let them state their case, but don’t create a situation where highly strung animals are made even more so by such behaviour.

It’s also a sad state of affairs that Animal Aid are seemingly the only organistation that report on racing fatalities when Racing Post, Sporting Life, the BHA & all the others are unwilling or unable to.

Love Divine
    • Total Posts 198

The Last Fling probably the saddest as he’d been a favourite for many years and I always felt he was at the end of his tether when he fell and should have been pulled up.

and Goguenard.

TLF should have been pulled up – glory hunting by the jockey and I have never forgiven him for it.

Goguenard – I was told was hit by another horse at his back end and it broke his back – that was unlucky rather than through tiredness necessarily, but still very sad.

Persian Punch – I broke my heart.

D’Nurse – a two year, useless bless her, but I followed the family and she was the last foal.

Avatar photoPeter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 553

So many that to mention one or two is very hard.

First I remember was Dunkirk

Most tragic for the sport IMO

Killiney
    Golden Cygnet
    One Man
    Gloria Victis
    Persian Punch
    Best Mate
    George Washington

Most tragic witnessed

Jack of Trumps (ruined the "Aldaniti" day for me)

Contreversial (don’t get me started)

Horatio Nelson
    Just Lizzie

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

The Last Fling probably the saddest as he’d been a favourite for many years and I always felt he was at the end of his tether when he fell and should have been pulled up.

and Goguenard.

TLF should have been pulled up – glory hunting by the jockey and I have never forgiven him for it.

Goguenard – I was told was hit by another horse at his back end and it broke his back – that was unlucky rather than through tiredness necessarily, but still very sad.

Yes. But I still have more of a problem with the owner’s glory hunting in that race than any individual jockey.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Peter Postin’s Ghost do you think that Horatio Nelson should have been withdrawn from the Derby? There was clearly something amiss there, never found out if his jockey had thought he was lame or not. Do you know what happened?
    Killiney was the first fatality I really remember & Raccoon in Gay Trip’s Grand National. Less well known was a horse called Score Sheet breaking a leg over a fence & it hanging "like something in a bag" my friend remarked, as the jockey struggled to pull it up. I cannot remember the race or who won (it was between Christmas & New Year in the early 90s)? Just the horror of it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 120

The strangest one I remember was Land Lark, who apparently died in mid air when jumping the Chair in 75. The saddest for me was probably Alverton, and maybe Grey Sombrero

My favourite horses - Red Rum, Spanish Steps, Proud Tarquin, Esban, Go-Pontinental, Barona, Charles Dickens, The Dikler, Astbury, Black Secret, Vulgan Town, Huperade, Well To Do, Crisp, Quintus, Argent, Colebridge, Pearl Of Montreal, Nereo, Sonny Somers, Tubs VI, Tartan Ace, Red Candle, L'Escargot, Bula, Beau Bob, Rouge Autumn, Rough Silk, Frodo, Deblin's Green, Prince Tino, Eyecatcher, The Pilgarlic, Captain Christy, Mr Midland, Interview II, Credit Call, My Virginian, Flush Of Diamonds, Scout, Money Ma

Avatar photoPeter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 553

Peter Postin’s Ghost do you think that Horatio Nelson should have been withdrawn from the Derby? There was clearly something amiss there, never found out if his jockey had thought he was lame or not. Do you know what happened?
    Killiney was the first fatality I really remember & Raccoon in Gay Trip’s Grand National. Less well known was a horse called Score Sheet breaking a leg over a fence & it hanging "like something in a bag" my friend remarked, as the jockey struggled to pull it up. I cannot remember the race or who won (it was between Christmas & New Year in the early 90s)? Just the horror of it.

Hi C57
    Re the Horatio Nelson tragedy, without wishing to rake up another row with many forumites who disagree with me (we went over it a couple of years ago) I firmly believe that if the race in question was not The Derby then the horse would not have run.

The matter was raised in this article from The Times (online);

CONCERNS for Horatio Nelson surfaced well before the colt broke a foreleg and had to be put down yesterday. Down at the start, trainer Aidan O’Brien watched the second favourite — and the chosen mount of Kieren Fallon, his stable jockey — as he trotted up and down before being loaded into the stalls. The racecourse vet was present and, in consultation with the trainer, decided that the horse was fit enough to race. It was a fateful decision.
    With a furlong and a half to run, the three-year-old was seen to stumble and nearly fall as he mounted a vain challenge on the outside of the field. Fallon quickly dismounted and held the reins to calm the horse as the field streamed away. Black screens were erected around the scene, always a grim reckoning on the racetrack.

Horatio Nelson was taken from the course by ambulance, but a statement released by the Horseracing Regulatory Authority (HRA) just after 6pm confirmed the worst fears of racegoers and connections.

“Several x-rays were taken,” Paul Struthers, PR manager for the HRA, said. “They revealed he had suffered fractures of the cannon and sesamoid bones and a dislocation of the fetlock joint. Sadly, the injuries were too severe to be repaired.”

“They were able to take 10 or 12 x-rays,” explained Peter Webbon, chief executive of the HRA and former chief veterinary adviser to the Jockey Club, of the decision to put the horse down. “You could then see the extent of the damage. The chances of treatment being successful were pretty remote. We had to consider how the treatment would be carried out and what the horse would be capable of doing when the treatment was completed.”

Fallon, unhappy with Horatio Nelson’s action on the way to the post, had initially voiced doubts about the fitness of the second favourite.

As the race developed, Horatio Nelson never displayed the fluency which had led Fallon to choose him above Septimus, the winner of the Dante and the more obvious candidate to bring Coolmore further Classic glory. Despite calls to the BBC and the racecourse from viewers angry that Horatio Nelson had been allowed to race at all, there was a suggestion that an accidental clipping of heels had caused the injury. The inquest, though, will continue.

One viewer, Jean Cadman, of Bury St Edmunds, told The Sunday Times: “It was obvious there was an odd nod of lameness. Fallon was not happy, but his advice was ignored. Perhaps if it had been any other race the horse would have been withdrawn.”

Asked about the concerns for Horatio Nelson’s fitness at the start, owner John Magnier said: “If there was something, it was checked by the people down there and they passed it. So there’s no point in blaming anyone.”

I well remember sitting in front of the TV with my partner who has a long standing of working with horses and we said to each other words to the effect of "Oh my God, they’re going to let the horse run. Hope they know what they’re doing". The rest, I’m afraid, is history.

Maybe it was just a coincidence and a terrible misfortune but I’m afraid that that if he was mine I would not have taken what I feel was a calculated gamble on AOB’s part.

Land Lark was a fine chaser and one of the favourites in the year he met his end.
    Alverton also was I believe already dead when he came down at 2nd Bechers (IIRC) with the race seemingly at his mercy.
    Pretty sure that a heart attack was the cause.

darwengray
    • Total Posts 90

With the death of Kennel Hill it has got me thinking about other personal sad moments in racing.

Its funny because although you dont have a personal attachment to these horses you still invest time and energy following them .

Ones that come to mind for me are :

Grey Sombrero ,i was only 9 at the time but had remembered him winning a race by miles way before the National so had my dad put my 5p each way on him .
    Until this point i didn`t realise that horses got killed racing and to be told on the way home from school the next day what had happened haunted me for years.

Griffins Bar, had got on this horse at 200/1 for the becher chase the previous November i’d been telling anyone that would listen that he was an Aintree natural and jumping the last i thought i was to be vindicated .
    I waited all through the winter and onto the National convinced i was going to see the biggest turn up ever in the race.
    I can still remember the shots on the BBC where Pam Sly had ridden him out herself to make sure he was right after his fall in the Topham .
    I was gutted to find out he had damaged a shoulder when stumbling at the fifth ,it wore me away for months afterwards ,i was a 33 year old man with a wife and three kids ,i should have had other things to worry about, it shouldn’t have mattered but it did.
    Kennel Hill ,A real rogue but a lovable one ,think of your Duc de Balbec ,Pukka Major,Amrullah,Cardinal Red ,Levaramoss and Derring Rose and here was another one to throw money at in the vain hope of all hopes that one day they would put it in ,sadly missed .

One more as i was thinking about as i was writing this post seeing Mrs Muck seemingly break down on both front legs was a sickener too a real favourite lost in battle.

I’ve waffled on somewhat but lets remember some old friends the ones that meant something to you.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

I didn’t know that happened to Mrs Muck. Strangely enough I was only thinking of ‘The Mucks’ recently, probably because of NTD having so much success over the past few weeks. Of course, in those days I didn’t realise that they were trained by a farmer.

darwengray
    • Total Posts 90

I can remember NTD riding just thought he was some posh toff with a name like that LOL

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Ferdinand and Excellor in the USA

Hearing Dean Gallagher’s comments after Musica Bella was killed in last years GS De Paris and also Zemen’s death at the water jump at Enghien last year :(

darwengray
    • Total Posts 90

Ferdinand and Excellor in the USA

Hearing Dean Gallagher’s comments after Musica Bella was killed in last years GS De Paris and also Zemen’s death at the water jump at Enghien last year :(

I`ve just gone back and read what he said at the time ,brings a tear to your eye an old hardened jock like that talking in such terms warms your heart.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

Mysilv dying on the gallops

That little mare warmed the cockles of this generally cool-to-cold heart and her meeting with the Reaper on a cold half-lit morning seemed worse than had it occurred in a race

Participant
    • Total Posts 120

Grey Sombrero ,i was only 9 at the time but had remembered him winning a race by miles way before the National so had my dad put my 5p each way on him .
    Until this point i didn`t realise that horses got killed racing and to be told on the way home from school the next day what had happened haunted me for years.

I remember it well, as a lad we used to holiday up in Malvern, and knew a farming family called Sipthorpe who had a connection with the horse.

Very sad moment

My favourite horses - Red Rum, Spanish Steps, Proud Tarquin, Esban, Go-Pontinental, Barona, Charles Dickens, The Dikler, Astbury, Black Secret, Vulgan Town, Huperade, Well To Do, Crisp, Quintus, Argent, Colebridge, Pearl Of Montreal, Nereo, Sonny Somers, Tubs VI, Tartan Ace, Red Candle, L'Escargot, Bula, Beau Bob, Rouge Autumn, Rough Silk, Frodo, Deblin's Green, Prince Tino, Eyecatcher, The Pilgarlic, Captain Christy, Mr Midland, Interview II, Credit Call, My Virginian, Flush Of Diamonds, Scout, Money Ma

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

What a sickening sight it is to see a horse with a dangling broken leg. I also fee very sorry for the connections, when a horse has to be put down, after a fall.

I know little about horses, but I get the impression they’re very like dogs and cats – at least Siamese cats. We had to have ours put down a few months ago. What made it worse was, he always thought he was a human being. Which he was in a was in his own sweet way.

We have a photo of him sitting next to my wife in her armchair but lying vertically wedged beside her, and looking with the same proud expression as when we found him (and photographed him) lying on his back under the counterpane of our bed, his head on the bit of sheet, above it and between the pillows, as if it was natural for a cats to sleep in the same posture as a human. As he was being injected, I put my cheek against his wee head, but it broke my heart not being able to live up the infinite trust he put in me.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.