The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Great Leighs Delayed AGAIN!

Home Forums Horse Racing Great Leighs Delayed AGAIN!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

The opening of Great Leighs has been put back to March 18 2008.

Meaning another seven races will have to be transferred.

Nothing more to be said really the embarrassing spectacle continues.

Scribbles
    • Total Posts 149

It’s turning into a farce isn’t it? :oops:

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

What you never had you never miss. Don’t see why there is a thread on this every time it fails an inspection. It will open some day and be a resounding success.

robharvell
    • Total Posts 16

Hello everbody

I live and work and great leighs, and have seen the racecourse developing from day one. I am a chef in the ‘green dragon’ pub wich is in spitting distance of the course. I for one cant wait for completion because as you can imagine lunchtimes are rather busy with all the groundworkers etc. I’m sure my boss doesnt agree though!

I get the feeling from reading some threads on here that the course isnt being received all that well, i can understand why, i’m no fan of all weather racing but i have the novelty of being able to see the course form my upstairs, so maybe i’m biased! But in all seriousness it is starting to look like a racecourse now, and it is good for my local area.

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

Welcome to TRF rob

Wish i had an AW track on my doorstep :cry:

robharvell
    • Total Posts 16

thanks charlie. yeah its sure going to be interesting

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

it is starting to look like a racecourse now, and it is good for my local area.

…and that, ultimately, is one of the entire project’s great assets – that it meets a recognisable demographic / geographic need. Take away its two point-to-point venues of High Easter and Marks Tey, and there hasn’t been any recognisable racecourse in Essex for decades, has there (NB need to check Chris Pitt’s book for the precise dates).

For all that it will be peddling my least favourite flavour of racing, Great Leighs will plug as much of a gap as Ffos Las will in southwest Wales next year where coverage of the country by racing under Rules is concerned. There won’t too many parts of the country left that are seriously deficient in that regard once both courses are operative.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Indeed. Can’t wait for it to open! Should get all sorts of banditry going on what with it being neatly nestled between the east-end of London and Newmarket!!!

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

So when are they going to build an A/W track in the North then Jeremy :lol:

Three tracks in the South and one in the Midlands :shock:

Mike

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Has Sedgefield been put on hold then?

Firestorm
    • Total Posts 62

Thats great to know robharvell, we all know were to go for a fantastic lunch once Great Leighs up and running….. :lol:

Welcome to the Forum :)

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Has Sedgefield been put on hold then?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We have proper racing up here NV, we don’t need any of that artificial surface crap – it just ends up being used for camel and pig racing anyway :lol:

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Oh, and sorry, make that FOUR in the South and ONE in the MIdlands :shock: .

Think I will get on to Mat Chapman, he’ll have a track built up here in no time :lol:

Mike

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Mike, can you imagine an AW track within 100 miles of Grasshopper? It would be no sooner up than torched!

There was talk of Musselburgh being made into an AW track, although that’s been quite quiet of late. I think the council may have blocked the plans, but I’d need to look back to make sure. Locals didn’t want it due to comparing AW racing to "A circus of despair and suffering for its’ spectators, which only serves to make a mockery of racing and mankind in general".
    Or it might have been about the historic golf course in the centre of the track, I can’t remember. :wink:

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5706

There was talk of Musselburgh being made into an AW track, although that’s been quite quiet of late. I think the council may have blocked the plans, but I’d need to look back to make sure.

Friggo

I believe the plans were rejected by the local council last year sometime. While I’m not averse to an All-Weather track in Scotland, Musselburgh would have been the wrong place.

Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.