The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Greastest training Feat ever?

Home Forums Horse Racing Greastest training Feat ever?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    IRSHEYEZ
    • Total Posts 223

I notice the post are running a poll on the greatest training feat ever by a trainer who has to be either British or Irish based training. I was wandering what any of your opinions would be on what you think has been the best training performance?

Michael Dickinson with the 1st 5 home in the 83 gold cup would have to be very high on the list and Dermot Weld training Vintage Crop to win the 93 Melbourne Cup has to figure as well.

jairducochetfan
    • Total Posts 139

Prescott with Pasternak was a prime example of how to get a horse peaking for not one, but the two big days.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Bob Sevier winning 4 of the 5 classics with Sceptre in 1902.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

You surely jest insomniac ~ Sievier couldn’t even win the Lincoln with her ;)

How about Richard Lee bringing the great Delius back from the brink to win the big staying novice chase at Aintree, 5 years after he had broken down (irrevocably it seemed) when favourite to win the best Sun Alliance Hurdle of all time?

robert99robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Barney Curley allegedly takes size thirteens.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Borrough Hill lad’s welterweight Hennessy win always impressed me personally.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

<br> Ginger McCain’s handling of Red Rum must surely take some beating?<br> Not only did he train the former selling plater to win a record 3 Grand Nationals, he did it from the back of a car showroom, with none of the facilities even  permit holders take for granted.

PurwellPurwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

Rod Millman with Sergeant Cecil, this year.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Hello there,

You’ll scoff, but Ted Caine getting eight victories out of Cavalier Crossett – a horse bred for the right royal sum of FIFTY QUID – around 15 years ago rates pretty highly for me.

As a fan of hearty old steeplechasers I’d also shortlist;

– Pam Neal for getting Mac Vidi to improve beyond recognition at the age of 15, culminating in a place finish in the Gold Cup,

– Rosemary Henderson’s assorted exploits on Fiddler’s Pike,

– Capt Prest and Fred Winter getting De Pluvinel (17) and Sonny Somers (18) respectively to win races well into their late teens.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

How about MC Pipe turning out 19 horses at Sandown on Whitbread Day in 2005 to ensure victory in the Trainers Championship. That was pretty impressive.:angry:

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

On a sentimental note, David Nicholson getting my old favourite Moorcroft Boy back from serious neck injury to win the 1996 Scottish National.

Gigginstown ManGigginstown Man
    • Total Posts 84

Faie achievement by paul nicholls to win with Hors La Loi III first time out over fences!

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Maybe not the greatest ever, but well worth worthy of mention was the excellent Hughie Morrison winning first time up with Tom Paddington who was returning after 4 years off due to injury

AraziArazi
    • Total Posts 263

Nicky Henderson training the injury prone See You Then to win three Champion Hurdles was impressive.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Quote: from Meshaheer on 2:07 pm on Dec. 19, 2005[br]On a sentimental note, David Nicholson getting my old favourite Moorcroft Boy back from serious neck injury to win the 1996 Scottish National.<br>

<br>Excellent call, Mesh, as emotional a victory as I’ve seen in my lifetime. Even the old bugger himself was pretty choked about it, I seem to recall.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.