The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 749 through 765 (of 896 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

My final picks

1st Mon Mome
    2nd Comply Or Die
    3rd My Will
    4th State Of Play
    5th Cerium
    6th Big Fella Thanks

Are you predicting this years race, or last years race Gerald? :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1761

I see the Pipes have left Madison in the National – keeps The Package’s weight down – has to be a tactical decision, surely.

• Total Posts 4293

:lol:

I used to have a boss who was a very astute business man, and very shrewd. Whenever two football teams or tennis players etc met again, he’d bet on the same result as before. Thought I’d give it a go!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Slaney Bookmakers in Wexford are running a special market :

pick 3 horses to complete the course: 7/2
    " 4 " " " " " : 7/1
    " 5 " " " " " : 14/1
    " 6 " " " " " : 28/1
    " 7 " " " " " : 50/1

Good luck! :)

• Total Posts 1063

Following months and months of agonising over every last detail and in the hope that NTD can pull off an incredible Gold Cup and National double my selection is:-
    BEAT THE BOYS
    to lead from pillar to post.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Mon Mome can not win.

5 I have backed:

STATE OF PLAY
    My Will
    Flintoff
    Can’t Buy Time
    Dream Alliance

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Snowy Morning
    State of Play
    Comply or Die (e/w only)
    Big Fella Thanks
    The Package

If Chief Dan George was in, he’d be on the list.

Truman31
    • Total Posts 22

Dont know why but the closer we get to Saturday the more optimistic I am getting about my bets on Hello Bud.

Got a great racing weight, proven stamina and a front runner so hopefully will stay out of any problems. Granted not an ideal jockey but he will clearly know the horse well so dont see that as a major factor.

Have also had Backstage and Knowhere

• Total Posts 4293

Mon Mome can not win.

I don’t understand. Mon Mome is running off 155. The rule of thumb I use is for the winner to put in a 10lb better performance. Are you saying that Mon Mome can’t run a 165, given that he ran a 161 last year?

• Total Posts 201

Mon Mome can not win.

I don’t understand. Mon Mome is running off 155. The rule of thumb I use is for the winner to put in a 10lb better performance. Are you saying that Mon Mome can’t run a 165, given that he ran a 161 last year?

I’m not sure if he can run to 165. A lot of people are mentioning his run in the Gold Cup as being ideal prep for this but let me put it this way, if he were to run in the same manner in the National he has no chance. Yes he was finishing strongly but at one point he was so far behind it looked for sure he would be pulled up. If he gets as far behing in the National then he will really struggle to get back into the race…….

• Total Posts 1217

I’m not sure why people are praising Mon Mome’s 3rd in the Gold Cup – he plugged on from a long way back to trot past beaten horses at the time who tried to go with Denman and IC (i.e. Cooldine) but couldn’t; doesn’t really amount to much from a form perspective and not the best pointer for the Grand National in my view. It’s perilously hard to follow up a GN win and with so much quality competition, I’d be happy if he just got round safely to be honest.

• Total Posts 4293

I’m not sure there’s many people praising Mon Mome’s performance in coming 3rd in the Gold Cup – we’re just chuffed because we had some money on it to be placed.

Mon Mome’s case is not based on the Gold Cup, but on last year’s Grand National.

I think it is a bit rich people knocking MM’s performance in coming 3rd in the Gold Cup, when only 8 horses in the Grand National field ran well last time out.

• Total Posts 1217

Probably praising is the wrong word then, overexaggerating the worth of the form perhaps, especially by the media (i.e. Channel 4 last Saturday). Personally I can’t see either MM or COD winning due to their actual weight, but I may be wrong, though stats are not in their favour.

theoutsider
    • Total Posts 1

Black Apalachi is the winner. Travelling like a dream last year and been aimed at this race since. Has the class and proven form around Aintree. Right age to win. Will be up front and therefore out of trouble. Mon Mome, State of Play, The Package and Comply or Die to follow him home.

• Total Posts 4293

I’m not sure whether it happens every year, but some wise people thought that Comply Or Die could back up, and the same has been said about Mon Mome (including by Fist 8) ).

For what it’s worth, he is the best Grand National horse in the past 10 years:-

Highest rated performances in the race, 2000-2009

1. Mon Mome (1st in 2009) 161
    2= Hedgehunter (1st in 2005) 160
    2= Hedgehunter (2nd in 2006) 160
    2= What’s Up Boys (2nd in 2002) 160
    5 Royal Auclair (2nd in 2005) 155
    6= Comply Or Die (2nd in 2009) 154
    6= Snowy Morning (2nd in 2008) 154
    6= Monty’s Pass (1st in 2003) 154
    9. Comply Or Die (1st in 2008) 153
    10= King John’s Castle (2nd in 2008) 151
    10= My Will (3rd in 2009) 151

compiled by Neil Young, based on assessments by Phil Smith

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Mon Mome can not win.

So would you say that at the age of 10, Mon Mome is improving Gerald ?

I don’t think he can run to 165, in fact based on him being a relatively small horse and carrying 11-7 I doubt he’ll be running to anything like 161 this year.

Just my opinion though and on a side note I see that Murphy has elected to stick with Comply or Die. Not sure how I feel about that having backed The Package.

My own fault for siding with a 7yr old I suppose !

Still, Graham Lee is not a bad alternative, although I do like the way Timmy rides the course.

Lee

• Total Posts 4293

So would you say that at the age of 10, Mon Mome is improving Gerald ?

I reckon if the pace hadn’t slackened after 2nd Becher’s (when normally that is when it quickens up), I reckon Mon Mome would have won even more impressively last year.

However, I admit that I may be 180 degrees wrong in that assessment.

On the matter of improvement, he doesn’t have to improve a lot, just a little.

Viewing 17 posts - 749 through 765 (of 896 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.