The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 511 through 527 (of 896 total)
  • Author
    RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Was glad to see Twiston-Davies say he is really excited about Irish Raptor with his words today, he is a pleasure to watch at Aintree in the spring, and he will be my pick, I hope he can do it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32902

… Montys Pass?

Monty’s pass was a 3 miler before the National. Won the Kerry National I believe over that trip.

Value Is Everything
    bhigg27
    • Total Posts 107

Just saw a picture of the Gordon Elliott horse Backstage. He looks like a pony. Hard to imagine him over those big national fences. What’s the smallest horse ever to win a National?

• Total Posts 113

I like Big Fella thanks and Vic Venturi….although the Package could be interesting too.

Also have my usual small sentimental bets on too, like Comply Or Die and Silver Birch.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

I’m in the Maljimar fan club, also, and I think he’ll be one of the last horses to get in. Backed him at Cheltenham last year, only to see him go down to Wichita Lineman. He’s been kept fresh for the National; he goes well fresh [hadn’t run for a while before Cheltenham last year]. Only problem is he could lose the race before the start. They said he was very calm [for him] before Cheltenham last year, but if he’d boiled over it would have been race over for him. Although I’ve backed half the field already ante post, I’m trying to concentrate on horses that have been trained specifically for the race; Maljimar being one of them. [On the subject of 2 1/2 mile horses I think someone mentioned that fact that a lot of races in Ireland are 2 1/2 mile races, so their horses will have been campaigned over that trip. Slim Pickings was a 2 1/2 mile horse that ran well in the National; he was Eddie the Shoe’s main tip one year, and, although he never actually won the race he placed a couple of times at a good price. Would very much like to know what Eddie chooses this year; now that he’s left The Observer I don’t who or where he writes for. Also the guy from The Liverpool Echo is pretty good.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Just wanted to get this back to page one so it’s easier to refer to, so we can get a better idea of who is likely to get a run.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Smith saying he’d raise Black Apalachi to 11,10 if he got the chance seemed very harsh to me…

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

not sure if he is the overall smallest to win the national, but miinnehoma comes to mind

vf

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Battleship was 15.2.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

ive just updated the runners and weights and form to make it easier to refer to the horses and who will get in or not

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

The Lamb and Battleship share the honor of the smallest horse at 15 hands and 2 inches…

• Total Posts 4293

Would very much like to know what Eddie chooses this year; now that he’s left The Observer I don’t who or where he writes for.

Writes for the Racing Post on Fridays (started last week?), and does Pricewise Extra online on Thursdays and Fridays (starts today?)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Whats pricewise extra? Is it a tipping service? Do I have to pay??

• Total Posts 1217

It’s part of the Racing Post Members Website, so yes unfortunately you do have to pay. Usually provide 1 or 2 tips per day by various "experts".

Imperialcall
    • Total Posts 21

I think Maljimar has a great chance and 40/1 is a decent price.

He is guaranteed to get in, jumped round the XC course at Cheltenham, is the right age and has a nice low weight.

Also is trained by Nick Williams and will be ridden by Daryl Jacob.

I think he will start about 20/1 on the day.

Imperialcall
    • Total Posts 21

I think Maljimar has a great chance and 40/1 is a decent price.

He is guaranteed to get in, jumped round the XC course at Cheltenham, is the right age and has a nice low weight.

Also is trained by Nick Williams and will be ridden by Daryl Jacob.

I think he will start about 20/1 on the day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 274

Does anyone have any information on Flintoff? Despite his disjointed season at various trainers I like his profile but I have heard nothing of the horse this season. Big price on the machine but not big enough to believe he is a non runner at this stage.

Viewing 17 posts - 511 through 527 (of 896 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.