The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 623 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 149

Same here Rob. Was so pleased that NC had won and then heard the news – just gutted

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

One loser today:- Horse Racing.

No winners…….. :evil:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Was so pleased for Mr Hales

. I wanted all of the horses to come home safe, but of all of them I wanted Pete to be back in his stable tonight. He was going so well, and did nothing wrong. He galloped on and I thought he was ok. It’s left me feeling numb.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Weird Al and Killyglen being treated …. what a horrible day :(

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Is Neptune Collonges going to run?

I could see him running into a place if he does.

Dont you mean plodding? :lol:

Aye he plodded to 2 Punchestown Gold Cups, a Gold Cup 3rd behind Denman and Kauto and recently to within a head of Giles Cross giving a stone away :wink:

Well done on Neptune plodding to another win :wink: Big shock on Synchronised. I thought it was a mistake running him but surely can’t blame Jonjo for this unfortunate accident :cry:

stodge
    • Total Posts 92

From my perspective, they seemed to go plenty fast enough over the first eight fences. The pre-race delays probably didn’t help either.

I’ll talk through my pocket for a moment as I backed SUNNYHILLBOY – I did think McClernon was going very wide but he did keep out of trouble. Nonetheless, he did put up a magnificent effort but to be beaten like that…

There will be plenty of coverage about the losses of SYNCHRONISED and ACCORDING TO PETE and the anti-racing press will have another field day tomorrow, I fear.

• Total Posts 1533

You were probably robbed. He’s a good pilot but terrible in a finish. Not saying anyone could have got him into a better position but had you swapped him for someone like Dougie Costello from after the last he would never have been caught…. such is like the winner deserves it he’s tried his heart out all his life..

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

99% of the McLernon ride was fine. Unfortunately, the final 1% was crucial. The horse became unbalanced when he went for the stick and given the victory margin pretty hard to think he wouldn’t have won if had he kept straight. Katie Walsh did nothing wrong on Sea Bass who travelled like the best horse in the race.

As regards the future there are now going to be calls for more changes to the course. If there are further fatalities this is going to happen again and again until the race just becomes another long distance chase. Personally, I could easily live without the race both in terms of viewing and punting.

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I’ve been on a high for the past 3.5 hours but ashamed to say I didn’t know about the deaths until I logged on here to applaud Jacob for a masterful ride and agree that the two jockeys over the final furlong made the difference – emphasised by the overhead camera.

but my joy was short lived because what I’d give to bring back two of the bravest horses.

Neptune Collonges is as brave as they come and today captured a place in my heart not seen since Dessie but what a dreadful outcome. I never thought in a million years I would say this but maybe time to review the whole event :shock:

Lee

• Total Posts 1800

How many times did the jockeys involved in the photo use their whips, does anyone know?

sharkenergy2012
    • Total Posts 12

Not sure but the RSPCA are calling for the result to be reversed so assuming too many times

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

RM was way too easy on sunnyhillboy imo.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Such a woeful footnote to one of the best finishes I’ve seen in any race, let alone the National.

It will be equally wretched if the powers that be make further "modifications" to the course…as other posters have said – the race will be emasculated and made ordinary if they continue pandering to the RSPCA and their yearly bleating.

To me, the falls were not because of the course, Synchronised jumped well, these things just happen in racing. I suppose it is part of the drama and unpredictability of the sport.

Personally, I felt O’Neill did the right thing in running the horse as he was in rude health and had a lot of things in his favour – and he really didn’t deserve to go down.

On a happier note I was really pleased for Neptunes, that horse has always tried his heart out and deserves to end on a massive high.

Shakallakkaaaboomboomboom ran well, but perhaps didn’t see it out (?)

You gotta love Seabass, a horse that wins top races over 2 miles plus and places at 4m 4f.

I actually thought Sunnyhillboy had held on when they hit the jamstick.

There’s nothing like racing to emphasise the highs and lows of life. One moment Don’t Push it is giving McCoy his first National and Synchronised is winning a Gold Cup…the next…

Equally, it must be a great relief for John Hales and Co to have snatched that famous victory; credit to them for having the balls to go for it.

Zip

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

From the BHA –

Speaking in regards to the 2012 running of the John Smith’s Grand National, in which two horses incurred injuries which unfortunately led to their being put down, Paul Bittar, Chief Executive of the British Horseracing Authority (BHA), said:

"We extend our deepest sympathies to the connections of Synchronised and According To Pete who we know are devastated at the loss of two home-bred horses which meant so much to them.

"In November last year, the BHA published the findings from a comprehensive and detailed review of all elements of the Grand National. At this stage, we believe it would be premature to suggest that modifications to the course and other changes have not been effective or will not yet prove to be effective. Since the Review and the implementation of changes, four races have been held over the course without incident prior to yesterday’s running of the Grand National.

“We are reasonably advanced in the process of examining the incidents which led to Synchronised and According To Pete being put down. While that process still needs to be completed, it is relevant to point out that although both horses lost their riders jumping Becher’s Brook, Synchronised galloped away from the fence seemingly without injury and then subsequently incurred a fracture to a hind leg when jumping riderless, while According To Pete was brought down by another horse on the second circuit.

“We will be collating all the relevant information and data from this year’s Grand National meeting so that it can be reviewed in conjunction with the statistics and findings of the Review. Initiatives such as speed sensing on the runners in races over the Grand National course will enable BHA and Aintree to make informed decisions based on factual evidence in our efforts to minimise risk where possible.

“The evidence indicates that the changes and improvements in safety made over the years have led to an overall decrease in injury and fatalities, both on the Grand National course and racing in general. It is important these matters be judged over a period of time. The decade since 2000 was the safest on record for the Grand National with a fatality rate of 1.5% compared to 3.3% at the start of the 1990’s. Sadly, there have been two fatalities in each of the last two runnings of the race. Naturally our objective is for there to be no fatalities, but we also recognise that we cannot remove risk altogether from such a competitive activity.

“The Grand National is a unique race and it represents a unique challenge for the sport and for its regulation. It is a thrilling spectacle, but there is a higher degree of risk involved in the Grand National than other races and for this reason everyone in the sport needs to be conscious of how the race is presented to the public, the general consumer perception and their views of how the race is run.

“This is an event that generates huge public interest and has a global audience of more than half a billion people. We’ve seen record crowds of over 150,000 in attendance at Aintree this week, following on from record numbers through the gates to British Racecourses in 2011. All of this suggests that British racing is doing many things right in the eyes of the consumer. It is critically important to us that the good work being done in racing is not overshadowed by yesterday’s events, and that racing continues to work collectively to develop and maintain this progress.

“In this context, we will be working with Aintree and its owners The Jockey Club, along with other groups in the sport to find the right balance which enables us to maintain the highest standards of safety for our horses and participants and to promote the sport to the widest possible audience.”

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

A richly deserved win for a horse who has been openly campaigned giving 15 lbs to one who has only started running properly since the weights were published.
    Has also done us a favour by putting an end to the tiresome stats saying greys and French breds don`t win. Don`t think Nicholas Silver will be referred to much anymore.

• Total Posts 26

A richly deserved win for a horse who has been openly campaigned giving 15 lbs to one who has only started running properly since the weights were published.
    Has also done us a favour by putting an end to the tiresome stats saying greys and French breds don`t win. Don`t think Nicholas Silver will be referred to much anymore.

Very well said – sick of O’Neill playing this card; don’t know how he gets away with it.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

When making out the "plus points" about the National he omitted the most important one from

Racing PLC’s

perspective

"The Grand National is our biggest cash cow."

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 623 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.