The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Golden Jubilee 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Golden Jubilee 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 4293

Have you got anything for the King’s Stand to take on Nicconi?

D’oh! Forgot that Overdose is supposedly coming over.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1661

Kinsale King is coming over for the Golden Jubilee, according to his trainer Carl O’Callaghan. You may remember O’Callaghan’s little victory dance after the horse won the Golden Shaheen. Kinsale King gave O’Callaghan his first stakes win back in December, and O’Callaghan has only been training for a year (prior to that he was playing Irish music in pubs around Los Angeles). Previously trained by Eoin Harty, Kinsale King was turned over to O’Callaghan last summer, and has won 4 consecutive races since then.

• Total Posts 4293

Probably had a premature bet on Showcasing @ 20.

However, also had a bet I’m quite proud of. Steinbeck is supposedly Ballydoyle’s best 3yo miler, so I took the 16 available at Betfair for the St James’s Palace (only £6 available though).

Participant
    • Total Posts 1661

http://www.drf.com/news/article/112344.html

More American runners eye Royal Ascot
    By Alan Shuback
    Wesley Ward’s victorious foray into the heady world of Royal Ascot last year has not gone unnoticed by American trainers. Ascot Racecourse announced on Wednesday that no fewer than five American-trained horses have been nominated to eight different races at the prestigious five-day meeting that will be held this year from Tuesday, June 15, to Saturday, June 19.

The Americans are led by

Kinsale King

in the Golden Jubilee Stakes. Carl O’Callaghan had a glowing report of his Dubai Golden Shaheen winner.

"He couldn’t be doing any better," the trainer said. "He’s back on the track at Hollywood and will leave for Maryland on May 17, where he will be staying at Michael Dickinson’s Tapeta Farm so we can train on a straight course. I’ve already arranged for Garret Gomez to come down and get a feel for what we need to do changing leads on a straight. We’ll ship to Newmarket on June 2."

The six-furlong Golden Jubilee on June 19 will be Kinsale King’s first race on a straight course as well as his first try on turf.

Todd Pletcher is considering

West Ocean

for both the Golden Jubilee and Royal Ascot’s other big sprint, the five-furlong King’s Stand Stakes. A 4-year-old son of Elusive Quality, West Ocean is fresh from a pair of sharp scores in ungraded turf stakes at Keeneland and Fair Grounds which he took by a combined 9 3/4 lengths.

Radiohead

, who won the Group 2 Norfolk Stakes last June for Brian Meehan, could be headed back to Royal Ascot with Rick Dutrow for either of the two big sprints or the one-mile St. James’s Palace Stakes. Kentucky Derby hopeful

Noble’s Promise

, previously nominated by Ken McPeek to the Epsom Derby, is also nominated to the St. James’s Palace. So is Kinsale King’s stablemate

Leaving New York

, recent winner of a one-mile Santa Anita maiden race, who is also nominated to the seven-furlong Jersey Stakes.

Nominations to the six juvenile stakes at Royal Ascot are not made until the five-day entry stage, but Wesley Ward himself is planning ahead. Among several possibilities, he has earmarked his 7 1/2-length Keeneland maiden winner,

Final Mesa

, for the Queen Mary Stakes, a race he won last year with Jealous Again.

Yes, Radiohead is officially American now. Noble’s Promise is iffy for the Kentucky Derby due to his lung problems, and his status for any of these races is up in the air.

• Total Posts 4293

Thanks Miss Woodford, I’m a member of the DRF site, but never visit it. You sort of reminded me that the Australian Denman is supposedly coming over. He doesn’t seem to have any entries though. Not sure what would suit him, as he is officially a 4yo in the Northern Hemisphere.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

The July Cup is reportedly the early season aim for Denman Gerald.

• Total Posts 4293

Yes, that was the race I was thinking Martin, if it ain’t entered for anything at RA.

Maybe something like the Foret will be its apogee.

There’s another aussie horse, not the OAP, that is thinking about the July Cup, but I can’t remember which.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Nicconi?

• Total Posts 4293

Yes, but that’s not the one at the back of my mind though.

I’ll try and work out which one it is at the weekend. Maybe it is Hayes’ other one, that is going for the Krisflyer?

• Total Posts 4293

Just to wind up Gordon’s Golden Jubilee bet:-

Richard Hannon jnr, the trainer’s son and assistant, said: "They both look great and will probably take their chance (in the 2000 Guineas). We’ll ride Canford Cliffs differently and give him every chance (of getting a mile).

"If he does, he does – if not there’s the

Jersey

and the July Cup. He only had three runs last season and that was his first this year. There was nothing taking him on and he was just looking around."

• Total Posts 629

Eagle Falls?!

• Total Posts 4293

think it was a wild goose chase I went on Martin. it seems that Denman was the horse I read about a few weeks ago that is going for the July Cup! :lol:

• Total Posts 4293

Thanks for the help, Zenjah. There has been no mention of Eagle Falls going for the July Cup, apart from in my decaying brain cells.

• Total Posts 629

Cool – he’s entered for the Kris – as is Nic…

I still hope to see Rip in the July Cup! :lol:

• Total Posts 629

Looking forward to these races…think there’s a lot of hype going about!

• Total Posts 4293

Looks like O’Brien isn’t considering the King George for RVW, so I’ve lost that one.

• Total Posts 629

What is the key stat/s that you guys look to for finding the winner of this race? – (Golden Jubilee)

I think that the King might be onto something…kind of! :o

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 175 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.