The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2020

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2020 Gold Cup 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17574

We’ve been here before, but on this occasion, I really do think that this years Gold Cup Winner, Al Boum Photo, looks very good indeed. No reason why he won’t be back for more.

I’m as guilty as anyone this far out, of listing a whole host of others who’ll challenge, but there doesn’t look to be too many from this years line up who’ll be poised to challenge, though if he got conditions falling his way, then Kemboy might not be one to give up on too quickly, and Clan Des Obeaux might bounce back.

The obvious one from this years line up though is Presenting Percy. He divides opinion, but he’s surely miles better than we seen, and with a less than ideal prep, and not to mention the fact that he finished lame, then it goes without saying that he’ll surely be the subject of much discussion once again, and rightly so.

The traditional route to take is to have a look at the RSA, and there’s certainly some clues right there. Topofthegame looks an obvious contender, loads to like about him, and he’s got Gold Cup written all over him. I had Santini down as one of the worst priced Antepost candidates I had ever seen, and couldn’t have had him at all in the lead up, struggling to see one piece of form that entitled him to be as short. Hands up though, got him wrong. I thought he showed a great attitude, and just beaten by the better horse on the day. The pair of them are short enough, but it’s the horse back in third who catches my eye.

I had Delta Work as the winner of the RSA for a fair while, and turning for home, he looked the winner, but not for the only time that week, we seen an Elliot runner finding little. I’ve not heard it confirmed, but I’ve heard the odd whisper that several of the yards runners were exposed to a bug in the lead up. It would certainly explain the runs of a few of them. He’s got a few lengths to find on the pair of them then, but if those rumours are true, then he does look a bit overpriced in relation. He looks the type to bounce back.

Until we see Cyrname again, we can’t be sure of what he can do, but I tend to think that he’s the real deal, and we’ll hopefully see a big performance at Punchestown. The obvious question marks against him would be going left handed, and whether or not The Ryanair would be more suitable.

Similarily, La Bague Au Roi could be a massive player, but like Cyrname, would the track suit? Trainer certainly has his doubts.

As per, I’m sure there’ll be plenty of talk of Altior stepping up in trip, and if they do go down that route, and he performs well in The King George, then the market, and the whole complexion of this race will turn on it’s head.

The JLT is another race of note, and of the front two, I’d much rather be with Lostintranslation, as Defi Du Seuil will surely be one for The Ryanair, as impressive as he was. I do like the Tizzard horse, a bit of a slow burner, but I can see him coming into the picture for this, and providing his mark doesn’t rise before the end of the season, which certainly isn’t a given, then I could see him heading for The Ladbroke Trophy en route.

The two most impressive winners of this years Festival, were A Plus Tard, and Tiger Roll, two horses with completely different profiles.

The Close Bros is perhaps not the most obvious source for future Gold Cup winners, but he blew me away, a performance to take note of, and I think he can back that up easily. It’s surely just a question of here or The Ryanair? I think the trainer might favour the latter, but he’s not screaming to backed for that right now at 20’s. The 40’s for this however, does make some appeal, and I could be tempted.

Tiger Roll needs no introduction. He’s got more immediate concerns though, and we’ll know more in just less than a fortnight. He’s best priced 33’s, and I think with the question marks right now, that’s probably about right, but I do think he should have ran in the last two renewals, and having bet him for the last three renewals at silly odds, if I do take the plunge this time, it’ll be reluctantly at that price. The National will be a tougher test this time around, and they haven’t let him taken his chance here so far, but my main concern would be that his time has passed, as he’d be coming here a 10yo. If anybody can do it though, he can.

I always like to throw in a couple from letfield for this, and one that springs to mind is Champagne Classic. Boasts festival form, and we didn’t get a chance to see him this time around, after he met (another) late setback. I think he’s very much worth persevering with, and we might not have seen the best of him yet. The other ones are the JP pair, Jerrysback, and No Comment. Even as a backer of No Comment for the NH Chase, I was never convinced after Warwick that it was the right target, and he wasn’t knocked about too badly. He’s another who’s not getting any younger, but I’ve a feeling this will be the plan. Jerrysback has had enough discussion since the 4 Miler, but that issue aside, I think we seen a horse who could step into this company, and though he’d obviously have to make rapid improvement, I think I seen enough of him to think that he could indeed step up to this grade.

No money down for me yet, but right now these are the ones I’d like to be with….

A Plus Tard 40’s
    Delta Work 25’s
    Tiger Roll 33’s

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5854

SANTINI 25/1

My bet put him before RSA and ran a blinder be 2nd and when you think had bad prep and nothing went right for him before the race ran a very good in RSA and more progress in him for next year

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1838

I have to disagree with VTC on this one re Delta Work. He looked more of the finished article going into Cheltenham and couldn’t beat the front 2. With TOTG having a big frame to fill and Santini with a smoother preparation next season im not seeing how the form will be reversed in the Gold Cup at this stage.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1764

Agree with that Mike

Topofthegame still looks like a big awkward baby, if he fills out his frame he could become a monster of a horse

Very keen on him for this

Don’t think Russell gave delta work the best ride in the RSA though as he got to the front way too soon, but the problem was nothing was capable of leading the big 3 deep into the race

Personally I have never really taken to santini but he also looks to me like he has more scope for improvement than delta work

Coneycard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Topofthegame my idea of the likeliest winner at this distant stage of reckoning.

I’m another who finds Santini tough to root for. I think his role asnlong-time favourite for this year’s RSA was always convenient for the bookies, as it was last year in the AB.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 384

I’m def a topofthegame fan , I think santini is a slow boat , he ran ok at Cheltenham but between him and topofthegame I’d much rather follow top….I think he’s Nichols next GC winner

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1838

I got these 3 for the Gold Cup…

Topofthegame 14s
    Lostintranslation 33s
    Santini 40s

:yes:

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 303

Mike – Cracking price on Santini. Good effort – I assume that was taken prior to the RSA? I did the same with Topofthegame – managed to put some money down at 25-1. Pleased with that.

I do have to disagree with your view on Delta WorK. There are a few points I think that have to be taken into account.

1) He is a year younger than both TOTG and Santini which could see further improvement
    2) Elliott’s horse’s ran below expectations so perhaps there was some bug at the yard
    3) He was squeezed out approaching the last fence causing him to slow
    4) He was coming back at the finish and the extra 2f in the GC might help him

I take your point about Santini’s poor preparation but I wouldn’t write off Delta Work just yet. I agree with VTC on the Delta Work’s odds so have also taken 25-1 on him too.

• Total Posts 17574

Very very impressed with Burrows Saint at Fairyhouse, and he’s definitely worth my first play in this.

Long way to go, but he’s clearly progressive, and looks worthy of this company.

Burrows Saint 66’s Each Way

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 303

Listening to Henderson and de Boinville yesterday it is obvious that the King George is the plan. Where I’m a little confused is what that means for next year’s festival.

I get 3m at Kempton (flat track + good ground) but 3m 2f with the Cheltenham hill is another ball game altogether.

I can’t see them going for the Ryanair since it lacks the kudos of a Champion race.

Does that mean he goes back down in trip for an attempt at a third Champion Chase?

• Total Posts 17574

Very happy with Delta Work tonight, that was a lot more like it.

Less impressed obviously with A Plus Tard, but he’s probably not one to give up on, though he may be one for Ryanair.

Burrows Saint 66’s Each Way
    Delta Work 25’s

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 303

VTC – I’m agreeing with you a lot tonight. Delta Work couldn’t have been more impressive. Perhaps it wasn’t the most competitive of races but he coasted round. The suggestion from connections seemed to hint that perhaps a bit of juice in the ground helped. I think he stays very well and the 3m 2f of the Gold Cup will suit him perfectly.

• Total Posts 17574

lol CNC, that’s a worry for you. Yeah, really delighted with that, and hoping onwards and upwards next term.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3068

Joined you on Burrows Saint at 66s in case he wins today and b365 knock his price down.

• Total Posts 17574

I cashed him out Grass, but I’ve every intention of going back in on him, certainly not giving up on him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.