The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Glenloe

Home Forums Memorials Glenloe

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 363

J P McManus having a doubly sad day, after loosing Head Law earlier today his Glenloe also suffered a fatal injury when running well in the closing stages of the veteran’s chase at Navan …

Prong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 668

12 years old, hadn’t completed in his last 4 races. Another one that could have been avoided

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 302

“12 years old, hadn’t completed in his last 4 races. Another one that could have been avoided.”

How can you justify a statement like that Prong, that’s the sort of comment expected from Ruby?

The winner had only managed a SINGLE place in six races this season, a third three races ago.
    It hadn’t completed it’s last two races either and of the other two races actually completed, it was beaten by a combined total of 120 lengths!!!!

Of the others in the race…………

The second horse had completed once in it’s last four races and then it was beaten a mere 48 lengths!!!

Another competitor in the race, Forza Milan managed a third place twelve races ago, beaten by an average distance of almost 24 lengths per completed race.

Midnight Maestro had completed three times in the last five and was beaten a combined total of 183 lengths…….that’s 61 lengths per race!!!

Glencoe hadn’t completed a single race this season. PU, PU, PU….I didn’t read anything from you regarding him.

If the horse is fit, capable and happy to race, then why shouldn’t it be allowed to run, regardless of age or form?

Generally, we have no knowledge of the ownership and what motivates them to run their horse.
    We haven’t much more regarding the trainer and the horse, yet seem knowledgeable enough to aftertime and make judgements on the merits of a horse competing whenever something unfortunate happens.

What should be the criteria for a horse to race?

Prong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 668

Glencoe hadn’t completed a single race this season. PU, PU, PU….I didn’t read anything from you regarding him.

Isn’t this thread about him?

For me him and Midnight Maestro, should have called it a day by now. You don’t have to agree but I’m sure there’s plenty that do.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Prong, just one thing: griff11 doesn’t necessarily like other people to comment on fatalities. At least not the way you or I do….

Looking at Midnight Maestro who has clearly lost his way over the jumps, I wonder why you would run him in a hurdle race in between, if staying chasing is what defines him? What is the point of running him in a 2m hurdle, then in a 3m6f X-country chase, then a 2m5f h’cap chase then over the banks again and then in a 3m veterans chase?

I know they all know a lot more about their horses, but the number of horses lost will always prove them wrong.

McManus has hundreds of horses in his ownership, I’m sure he doesn’t know every single one’s ability, but just running them all over the place clearly doesn’t make sense.

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 302

“I didn’t read anything from you regarding him.”

My apologies, I was meaning no comment from you or others prior to the race. On any day, there would be many horses running with that sort of form against their name.
    Why comment on the odd time one becomes a fatality?

You appear to make a judgement based on the fact that he hadn’t completed in it’s last four races………..does that mean any other horse that hasn’t completed in their last four races should also be denied a run?

What about a seven year old that hasn’t completed in their last four, no racing either?

Of course I don’t have to agree, this is a discussion forum not a social media outlet.

Why on earth should Glenloe and Midnight Maestro not be allowed to run……on what grounds would you stop them from competing?

The race report from Glenloe reads, “Midfield, mistake 1st, headway 10th, pressed leaders going okay when slipped up after 4 out…”

Midnight Maestro apparently burst a blood vessel.

I do wonder sometimes why people follow the sport.

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 302

“Prong, just one thing: griff11 doesn’t necessarily like other people to comment on fatalities. At least not the way you or I do….”

I have no problem at all with people commenting on fatalities, it’s just the sometimes condescending, know all and after timing way that some do it.

You for instance are often criticizing jockey’s/trainers/owners as though you know more about the horse in question than them. I wonder sometimes if people sit watching racing hoping for a fatality so they can be the first to post it on this section!! I’m sure they don’t, normal people wouldn’t of course, but that’s the perception I get.

Fatalities, whether NH or flat are all part of it and can involve any age or distance run.

Nobody wants fatalities to happen, but it has to be accepted that it does, otherwise stop following the sport and concentrate on indoor bowls or golf.
    Personally I have no issue at all with horses being listed in this section, I find it quite informative.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7604

“12 years old”
    Yes…it was a veteran’s chase. Won last year by the 13 year old My Manekineko and the year before that by the 14 year old Kruzhlinen.

“hadn’t completed in his last 4 races”
    The race notes for the first of those read “badly hampered 1st and unseated”. The saddle slipped on the second one- granted, after a mistake- when he was the shortest in the betting of Elliott’s runners in the Cork National. He was one of 8 non completions in that race, another being today’s neck second for the same trainer; and one of 5 in the Troytown after holding his own for a good bit of the race. Granted his most recent run wasn’t good but he has some decent spring form, coming 3rd and 4th in big handicaps at the Fairyhouse and Punchestown festivals last year, so was reasonable for connections to hope for a return to form.

” Another one that could have been avoided”
    Well Prong, I suppose they could all be avoided.. by the simple expedient of banning horse racing.

Prong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 668

You appear to make a judgement based on the fact that he hadn’t completed in it’s last four races………..does that mean any other horse that hasn’t completed in their last four races should also be denied a run?

What about a seven year old that hasn’t completed in their last four, no racing either?

No I don’t think 4 non finishes means that they shouldn’t be able to run. Each horse should be assessed on its own merits, but more consideration should be given to an older horse that has more letters than numbers in its form, Especially like the 2 I’ve already mentioned that have repeated poor efforts.

Regal Encore is one I’ve already mentioned in another thread, 15 years old and shown nothing for a long time, do you believe the right thing for the horse is to continue on?

Prong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 668

“12 years old”
    Yes…it was a veteran’s chase. Won last year by the 13 year old My Manekineko and the year before that by the 14 year old Kruzhlinen.

Both had shown decent form before the wins, I’m not against older horses racing that’s not what I’ve said.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

This lovely old horse has died but that’s getting lost in all this unpleasantness.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Indeed. It’s a conversation that should be taken elsewhere Bonanzaboy. R.I.P. Glenloe

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7604

That’s true, and I’m sorry, I should not have added to it without even at least acknowledging poor Glenloe on his own memorial thread that lochinver had started for him.

He only had one win under rules- I looked up the race report and it was a 3 mile maiden on soft/heavy, they got racing 3 out and he got headed at the last by the useful Call The Taxie who had the benefit of Rachael Blackmore claiming 5lb (that’s how long ago it was). He battled back all way up the run in, wrested back the lead and won by a neck. The also- decent A Rated was 26 lengths further back and the rest were strung out over Navan, the scene of his last race today.

He couldn’t quite repeat the feat when he was trying to get back up past stablemate Delta Work for the Pertemps, but he gave it everything and only lost by a flared nostril.

A good horse and I think an old favourite of some on here.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

Agreed Bonanzaboy.we come on this particular Thread to pay respect to horses that have lost their lives and to give a thought to those who loved and cared for them only to return home with an empty horsebox.

RIP Glenloe and Head Law ⚘

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

First and most importantly, RIP Glenloe and Head Law, both very sad losses.

Where people have objected to the discussion that has been generated following Glenloe’s passing, I agree that a memorial thread is not really a dignified place for it. But such discussion is inevitable when people include comments and judgements about whether it was right to run the horse or how it was ridden as part of their tribute.

It is only fair for people to express their views where they feel sometimes very unjust criticisms are being made. And these matters are too important to ignore.

It might be better if people raised any concerns about horse welfare that they have in the main forum, but realistically I suspect it will be difficult to remove such topics from the Memorials section entirely.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

This is a discussion forum. In my opinion Griff makes factual and entirely fair counter arguments to the second post.

I appreciate this is a memorial thread but the second post makes an emotional argument that goes beyond just saying RIP. It is not unreasonable for that argument to be challenged.

Rather than trying to shut the discussion down, those posters who disagree with Griff should do do with an effective counter argument rather than just trying to close down a discussion they do not like.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

CAS, to be fair, I don’t think most of the posters who have raised objections to the tone of the thread (e.g. Bonanzaboy, Tonge and Triptych) have expressed a view either way on the rights and wrongs of running Glenloe. They have merely said a memorial thread is not the place for the discussion.

As I’ve said above, critical and judgmental comments such as those made by Prong are likely to provoke debate. Where the debate happens in future is in the hands of Prong and other posters who make these types of comment. If they are going to continue to use the Memorials section to put forward their point of view, then it will inevitably be where the discussion takes place.

I do not enjoy having these types of debate, especially in the Memorials section. However, I feel that some of the criticisms made cannot be left unchallenged.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.