The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Russia / Ukraine

Home Forums Lounge Russia / Ukraine

Viewing 13 posts - 1,174 through 1,186 (of 1,186 total)
  • Author
    Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1077

All part of what used to be called The Great Game I believe, been going on for at least two centuries.

You're old enough to kill but not for votin'
    You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin'?
    gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4456

My history is pretty rubbish Purwell – thank you for enlightening me and a good day to you.

‘The Great Game was a political and diplomatic confrontation that existed for most of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century between the British Empire and the Russian Empire over Afghanistan and neighbouring territories in Central and South Asia, and having direct consequences in Persia and British India.

The term Great Game was coined by British diplomat Arthur Conolly in 1840, but the 1901 novel Kim by Rudyard Kipling made the term popular and introduced a new implication of great power rivalry. It became even more popular after the 1979 advent of the Soviet–Afghan War.’

It all seems a bit quaint in comparison to the obliterations of computer aided modern warfare but it was comparable in all about winning territory and not losing any.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2439

Yeah it’s all a conspiracy not down to some simpleton authoritarian paranoid leaders pathetic dreams

Now we are going to hear hitler excuses are we?

Gamble. Ask Finns and Afghans? Man for man the red army is probably the worst of the seen in modern times surely. Moronic in every way. The IDF they are not

I expect we will see the trump/corbyn cretins getting excited at a little Russian success now

Kept their heads down haven’t they

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4456

Well yes Clive they are a bad bunch indeed.

I don’t eat breakfast apart from on a Sunday. I am going to eat an imaginary English now with all the trimmings. That will include Cornflakes from the nineteen fifties when they had a lot of malt in – that is if they have gotten through Customs.
    I often eat imaginary meals and at times when my imagination is on the wane, can peer into restaurant windows and mentally consume some poor person’s dinner. I have got some strange stares and my date never turns up – but I leave the scene suitably filled and satisfied.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2439

Oh god gamble. That’s my first lol here in ages

Harmless I suppose but stick to food and not sex would be my advice

You staring at my bird?

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2439

I’m a bit concerned. You satisfy yourself watching people eat through restaurant windows when your date doesn’t turn up?

Have you considered the effect your leering through windows whilst having a Sherman has on the appetite of said diners?

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4456

Unfortunately Clive news of this bad habit of mine – although pretty harmless – has spread around my family somewhat. A teenage girl when sitting down at a table set for six with me at the head obscured her plate of food with a large card so I couldn’t get a look in. This was some years ago, but say you were sitting with me enjoying a TV dinner. I can assure you I would not be watching the filum.
    As a decoy mechanism when outside a restaurant window I would look at my watch and swivel my neck as if to say – Where is she ? This confuses the eater who hopes that my imaginary date won’t turn up – In case she’s also a food watcher and we come in and politely ask – Do you mind if we sit here ?

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4456

The Sherman is hopefully rather surreptitious. I get over excited though with certain types of food – Steaks and curries can drive me bananas and the game is soon up I’m afraid.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4456

WARS GO ON
    AND THEY DO SOME
    THIS WAR IN UKRAINE
    IS A FIRESTATRER
    IT’S TIT FOR TAT
    AND BAT FOR THAT
    A BIT OF CRACK MIGHT
    DISTURB THE EQUIBRIUM
    WO’LL PUT OUT THE FIRE ?
    NOT ME – NOT ME
    I’M JUST LOOKING FOR
    COCK ROBIN
    AND HIS FOUR BERTH CONDI
    HE’S MOVED ÷

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2576

I see Russia has removed the age limits for troops ….more needing sent to there deaths in the Ukraine , Putin as been forever putting forward this real man persona , how come he’s not riding bare chested on his horse through Ukraine shooting everyone with a ak47 …..he really must be ill

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10310

Hardly what we were looking for with Hungary digging their heels in re Russian
    oil being cut off completely. Rather than the total ban that was hoped for, it’s
    been watered down to stop all oil shipments by sea, but not by pipeline. This
    doesn’t even come in force until the end of the year, when they no doubt hope
    that some kind of deal brings this madness to an end prior to that.

If the west don’t get long the range artillery to Ukraine troops in Severodonetsk
    that the Ukraine are asking for, the Russians look like taking Luhansk, or what is
    left off it after constant shelling. If they do they will inherit little more than
    a wasteland.

A “key advisor to Zelenski” says missiles of 70km would be enough. It seems Biden looks
    to have lost his early “gung-ho” by saying that the US would not send Ukraine rocket
    systems “that can strike into Russia” so unless Europe or the UK step in the Ukraine
    forces in Donbas and Luhansk look to be fighting an uphill battle.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29590

Putin isn’t going to stop until he’s got the whole of Luhansk and Donbas.
    Only then can he have any hope of proclaiming “victory” and then “peace”.
    Zalensky will accept losing Luhansk and Donbas if able to keep Odesa, as it’s vitally important for Ukraine’s economic future to have a port on the Black Sea.

Value Is Everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29590

If Putin ever thought invading Ukraine was a good idea; he doesn’t now.

What’s more, Putin will be thinking he’s in danger from people “close” to him.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 13 posts - 1,174 through 1,186 (of 1,186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.