The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Getting fed up of very poor jockeymanship

Home Forums Horse Racing Getting fed up of very poor jockeymanship

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Hi All,

Talking out of my pocket here so might regret what I write, but is anybody else getting fed up of jockeys giving horses way too much to do.

I won’t tell you what I backed, but just look at the 2:15 at Lingfield and tell me how many horses got into the race? The winner, Border Edge, was on the front end throughout and was 5L clear turning in, and it was then apparant that the jocks in behind had rode stinkers – I could probably name between 6 and 8 jockeys (including mine) that simply gave their horse way too much to do. Jamie Spencer was one of them and rode a stinker on Takes Tutu as he had the horse last turning for home with a 20L defecit to make up. Just what goes through these jockey’s minds, do they think they are on a horse or on a rocket?

Mike

Young Mick
    • Total Posts 203

Jamie Spencer… how did I know his name would be mentioned. I have had various arguments about this jockey 99% of the time he is the last out of the gate, he makes horses come right from the back.

I tell you now.. if I had his agent (Who must surely be the best in the world! Some of the rides he gets) I could probably win Britain’s Got Talent…

He takes gambles which only pay off in certain circumstances. I would much rather have a jockey who you know will give his all to the line and would prefer to have 100 winners than 50 winners showing off and 50 losers where the jockey make a p**t of himself.

:twisted:

I didn’t loose today.. lost all my dosh at Goodwood lol

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Young Mick

I’ll pass on your kinds word to him. I’m sure he’ll be delighted to know you hold him in such esteem. :D

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4729

Quite clearly there are two Jamie Spencers, as this doesn’t seem to be the one who is top of the RP jockey’s table with 104 winners and a strike rate of 19%.

Every jockey ‘takes gambles’ with the way they ride every day, only it’s called race judgement, and those with the best judgement end up top of the jockey’s table.

Incidentally Mikky, I think we are getting George Dubya territory with the word ‘jockeymanship’! :D

Rob

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Incidentally Mikky, I think we are getting George Dubya territory with the word ‘jockeymanship’! :D

Rob

Lol.

I have calmed down now and watched the race again, and I am still of the opinion that 6-8 jocks gave their horses impossible tasks, which really shouldn’t be the case at all. If a horse has an impossible task through not being good enough then I can accept that, but when a horse has an impossible task because it is held up 20 lenghts of the pace with a few furlong to go then that is hard to take.

Thankfully, all 3 of the oncourse commentator, Simon Mapletoft and Enzo in the ATR studio agreed that hardly anything got into the race and some of the fancied runners were given far too much to do.

Mike

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

"…………….those with the best judgement end up top of the jockey’s table. "

That’s debatable surely, Rob.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I’m not having a go at Spencer, and I didn’t back Takes Tutu, but please just look at the ride he has just given Diademas in the 3:45, (I didn’t back that either)

Can anyone explain why he held up a horse 5 lengths off the pace in a 5 furlong sprint, and then tried to make a move up the rail, which every man and his dog knows is the slower part of Lingfield. Absolutely baffling. The last time Diademas won he made all and went away.

On a more positive note, hats off to Neil Callan, as the 2 races where Spencer has rode stinkers in, Callan has took up the gauntlet from the front end and rode brilliant races.

Mike

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4729

Possibly, but I’d maintain that in the main it’s true.

Good batsmen play poor shots and get out, good strikers miss sitters, good golfers miss three foot putts, good snooker players miss straight forward pots, but the best do it less often than the rest and so end up at the top of their profession.

Rob

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Quite clearly there are two Jamie Spencers

Rob

True.

Spencer is quite the enigma. When he’s good, he’s good, but when he’s bad, he’s down right atrocious. I’m not averse to backing his mounts, but as I have mentioned before, I tread very, very carefully now before putting the money down – especially on the short priced favourites he rides.I call him a mood jockey – when he’s in the mood, he often delivers; when he’s not, forget it. You’re never quite sure which Jamie Spencer you are going to get on any given day. He’s a hard lad to figure out.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Himself,

Your post is excellent timing, just as Spencer gets beat on a 1/3 shot or thereabouts, by trying to win up the rail, while the winner flew down the outside. It really doesn’t take a brain surgeon to work out this is the faster part of the track.

Great comment about being wary about backing Spencer on short priced favourites though – it didn’t even make the frame :lol:

Mike

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

There was a race at Newcastle on Weds where Viva Volta was gifted it on a plate – I mean a soft lead is one thing but if it lasts the whole race it begins to look fishy. Winner punted from 6-7/2, fav drifts like barge – it’s possible that some of Betfair’s biggest players (Pat Naylor maybe?) had worked out that there was going to be a lack of pace in the race and that VV would be gifted a soft lead – its also possible that the race was bent.

RE: Spencer – at least he is consistent and you know what you are going to get with him.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Oh yes, Spencer is consistent alright – but I daren’t say what he is consistent at.

Just to give you a clue, he has just rode another fav at lingfield. Once again he held it up in last place, then tried to come up the rail – hence, he got well beat.

Now is it me being stupid or is it Spencer not havng the horse underneath him? But he has just ridden 3 favs on the AW, at prices of 2/1, 1/3 & about 5/2 – yet when you put those 3 rides with the ride he gave Takes Tutu (another fancied runner) I would say they are the 4 worst rides I have ever collectively seen on one day.

Yet just to show that when he doesn’t hold his horse up in last place and tries to ride the race of all races, then he can win, just like he did on Natural Action.

I am going to get drunk lol.

Mike

Young Mick
    • Total Posts 203

I only say it DJ because I like a no nonsense jockey who is in it to win it and not to be shown on telly for showboat of the week.

I remember one case distincly when he rode Hogmaneigh at York and he gave it a terrible ride when I had a lot of money on it. Next time out at Epsom when saleem golam rode it and gave it a lovely ride to get the money i lost on it back.

I think he has a good attitude and can be the best in the world at times but at others he can get himslef into a lot of trouble. I always thought he broke out last and rode every horse from the back. But surely some horses like to be ridden out the front and I have only ever seen him do that once or twice this year.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Last season, you can surf the net and see similar opinions expressed about Richard Hughes. And in the days before the internet, I remember vividly identical frustrations voiced in darkened betting shops about Pat Eddery. And as for Cash Asmussen… :D

It’s comforting to think yourselves lucky that you don’t have a Pawan/Annie Stokell obsession. :D

Young Mick
    • Total Posts 203

Possibly, but I’d maintain that in the main it’s true.

Good batsmen play poor shots and get out, good strikers miss sitters, good golfers miss three foot putts, good snooker players miss straight forward pots, but the best do it less often than the rest and so end up at the top of their profession.

Rob

Yes Rob I agree with you there.. GOOD players of sport make mistakes… CHAMPIONS don’t… Not three in one day..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.