Galway Hurdle 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Galway Hurdle 2019

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  buckers 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15442

I tend not to give this as much as an early look, probably down to the fact that I have a brutal record in it…..

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/galway-handicap-hurdle/winner

Band Of Outlaws, recently bought by JP, looks an obvious favourite, and he looks to have tons in his favour. It’s not often I’d say this for big handicap ante-post, but the 6’s actually looks fair to me. Not that I’ll probably take it, as I’ll go looking for an (ill fated) big price. Gardens of Babylon might just fit that bill at double the price, but anything JP sends here is to be feared, and I also like Hearts Are Trumps

The problem with this race I find, is that unlike The Plate, there seems to be even more unexposed types, and Mullins, who landed this last year, has a number of chances. Seems futile second guessing them at this stage, but I’m particularly interested in Great White Shark and Sayo, but not enough to part with any cash.

I’ve no plans to part with cash on any of them, but if I was to be tempted, it would be for a pair who I like for The Plate, including my #1 for that race, Azzuri. Yes, The Plate looks the obvious target, but there’s just a (very) small question mark over the trip, and if he were to come here, those doubts would evaporate, and he would face this on much lower mark. A mark which he could lead them a merry dance off of. For Connections who like a good punt, will they be tempted at 33’s? I know I would.

The other one is Peregrine Run. In blinding form this summer, including over hurdles, and other one who could exploit a lower hurdles mark. Big at 25’s.

I haven’t bet these yet, as I want to leave this race well alone Antepost, and it’s unlikely surely that both of these would swerve The Plate, but you never know. This is a massive pot, and that can change peoples minds.

Azzuri 33’s
    Peregrine Run 25’s

No bet, but I’m very very tempted, and I’ll be watching the market.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3078

Can’t resist a go on Tudor City at a massive 25/1

Had a spin on the flat the other week and got to be being aimed at this you would think.

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1805

He’ll entries in almost everything probably but i think Exchange Rate could have a decent shout in the hurdle. I’d say he’ll be primed for it if taking his chance given the owners, has some very decent flat form recently and has course form, albeit a fall as well. I’d forgive him the 3rd as the ground may have not helped over the trip.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2257

Exchange Rate is my main early pick too, due to course form and scope for improvement. Of the other Mullins ones high in the betting:I don’t think Quick Grabim is another Sharjah. Buildmeupbuttercup is the price she is because of her run at Ascot; prior to this, over hurdles she has been nothing to write home about. Riven Light doesn’t stay.
    A bit further down the betting :
    Shanning has course form and a nice recent warmup. Stratum….maybe…but has been a well backed loser on a few occasions. Great White
    Shark
    is too big and green and needs further.
    Sayo‘s 3rd in the Triumph is decent form but other than that, an unknown quantity. I don’t know anything about Mister Miyagi; a bit unusual for a horse that age to join the yard…I suppose a good sign if they thought him worth taking.

Horses trained by other people:
    I’m probably just sulking cos I didn’t get on the Band of Outlaws party bus for Cheltenham but I don’t think he’s quite as fab as all that. Am prepared to cook the humble pie myself if necessary post race. Gardens of Babylon would interest me more.
    I need to stop backing Tombstone at some point but if the ground has some ease on it might put a few bob EW on him. Star Maker, also for Elliot, is interesting if inconsistent.

Need to look at more form etc for the rest.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15442

Agreed Grass, Mister Miyagi a very interesting recruit to the yard, and seen a wee bit of blue for him today.

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 80

I think that Tudor City at 25-1 is the standout price of these at the moment. I have taken some of that, as I can only see him shortening.

This is definitely a race where I will bet another.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2257

Exchange Rate 16s my first bet on, will add another on the day

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15442

I’m definitely waiting for Final Decs now, just can’t get a handle on this.

At a push, Hearts Are Trumps might be the bet, and I’ll almost certainly cover The King Of Brega, but I’m 100% leaving it alone till after Final Decs.

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1805

Exchange Rate not running + no more Galway entries. Setback perhaps? Or being saved for something. Given owners i’d have thought he’d be going here.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2257

Rats, pop goes my AP money. Hope he is OK…like you say I would have thought things would have been in his favour to run.

coops72
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

four on my shortlist are band of outlaws, tudor city, davids charm and ming dynasty

Lemons68
    Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 357

I can’t remember a race that had me changing my mind so often. It really is a very good renewal.

I’ve came down on two. Riven Light to win 10-1, and at 40-1, ew 6 places, Tombstone.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15442

Good to see you back here mate.

I did have a look at Tombstone myself, but with King of Brega a Non Runner, I’ll just stick with Hearts are Trumps.

After my blank in The Plate, one is more than enough.

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 334

Sayo at massive odds.

Also on Chosen Mate and Sole Pretender

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15442

Good luck Viktors with Sayo, he’s one of those, who if he wins, will have me calling myself a few names.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.