The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fred Pontin's Horses

Home Forums Horse Racing Fred Pontin's Horses

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nafsasp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 95

Any idea where I could find a list of horses owned by the Late Mr Pontin, of Holiday Camp fame?

Nafsasp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 95

Does anyone know what happened to Go-Pontinental? He was a favourite of mine back in the 70s, I loved the name, even if he was pretyy useless. The last record I can find of him is his brief appearance in the 74 National, aged 14, when he got as far as the 2nd! He was owned by a Mr R Armstrong at the time, and trained by H O’Neill at Rugby, Warwickshire.

I would be delighted to hear from anyone who knows what became of him.

Thanks

threenaps
    Participant
    • Total Posts 315

I do not know of a list anywhere but he had these 2 with Bill Marshall:

Go Pontinental
    Pontin Go

Maybe other forumites can add to these.

threenaps
    Participant
    • Total Posts 315

Here’s some more from an Obituary in the Guardian:

"His first horse was named Go Pontin, followed by Pontingo and Go Pontinental. His instruction to his trainers and jockeys was that they must always finish in the first three or four – so that the sports commentators would keep on mentioning them – and give their owner free advertising worth millions. One of his horses, Specify, won the Grand National in 1971."

isinglass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

Here’s one – Cala Mesquida trained by JE Sutcliffe won 1970/71 season’s Schweppes Gold Trophy.

peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1431

Y’all are forgetting about the most important one of them all! 1971 Grand National hero Specify!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.