The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Frankel to target the Eclipse

Home Forums Horse Racing Frankel to target the Eclipse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Sir Henry has confirmed that Frankel will target the Lockinge followed by the Eclipse. Interestingly he also added that he thinks he gets 10 furlongs already. Can’t wait to see him stepping up and tackling some of the middle distance performers.
    Frankel against So You Think amongst others. Only one winner in my view, Frankel

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

It seems SYT is committed to racing over a mile next season, though, if he were to take Frankel on over 10f, it would likely be the York International, rather than the Eclipse, as it’s the lesser stamina test.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

It seems SYT is committed to racing over a mile next season, though, if he were to take Frankel on over 10f, it would likely be the York International, rather than the Eclipse, as it’s the lesser stamina test.

Unfortunately Reet it wouldn’t matter if it were on a totally downhill track, he’s simply not in the same class, not even close.

Hopefully whatever wins the 2000 Guineas is well above average and he takes Frankel on in the Eclipse and then does something special like win the Derby and the Arc after Frankel beats him. Certainly nothing in the UK at the moment holds a candle to him.

I’d dearly love to see Frankel equal Sea Bird II’s rating and the only way he can possibly do that is by beating other high quality horses with ease.

Even if he beat So You Think by 6 lengths doing handstands it wouldn’t justify hiking him up that extra few pounds as the Aussie horse simply isn’t that good.

Sea Bird II beat the most exclusive bunch of horses, ever assembled in one race, with so much ease that Frankel needs to outdo everything he has done so far to deserve such an honour.

We live in hope!!

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

If ever there was a mouth-watering prospect it is Frankel at four.

This could be the only time in our entire racing lives that most of us get to see a horse like this. Savour every moment of anticipation.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

If he goes to the Lockinge it would be good to then see him in the Queen Anne ahead of the Eclipse and International at York.

Granted the first two should be mere formalities against horses he has already defeated but nice pipe openers for a horse like Frankel! And means we get to see him more.

Might just be best horse i ever see :shock:

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

I never actually saw Sea Bird II live so I’d have to say in 40 years the only horse I that really blew me away was Mill Reef and the way he cruised past horses. Frankel is very different he travels almost as well as Mill Reef did but then explodes past rather than cruises past.

Nijinsky and Dancing Brave had great turns of foot but Frankel is different he’s pure power.

To say he might be the best you will ever see is a pretty safe bet Doug. Enjoy!!

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Agree with everything you guys say.
    Don’t expect him to race to much though.
    Remember he is in the care of (i.m.o.) the master trainer, and he will leave enough in the locker to go to the U.S.A. and deliver his swansong

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

More looking forward to the Lockinge . .

£100 @ 3/1 with Ladbrokes to race as a 4yo

Yeeehaaa!

slewmanslewman
    • Total Posts 199

I think we’re drawing a long bow with Sea Bird and Frankel. Sea Bird was supreme at a mile and a half. As for Frankel beating So You Think by 6 lengths over 10f is hyperbole to say the least. If Frankel is beaten in the Eclipse, what then? Do they go back to a mile? Many questions still to be answered on his ‘greatness’.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

HGM
    I’d be pretty sure most Aussies felt the same about SYT – until he went a bridge too far stamina wise.
    No one knows for certain whether Frankel will stay 10f, or even how much he will be tested at the distance, so to state that he’ll beat one of the best 10f horses in the world by 6l shows nothing more than your irrationality.

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4598

I think Frankel over 10f is an interesting challenge for connections.

I always said connections were right for ignoring The Derby as I could not see him getting 12f (Then again I said the same about Sea The Stars before his Derby run and we all know what happened to him :oops: )

It’s unscientific but the time it took to pull him up after the QEII suggests 10f should be within his range but I have to admit I still have a nagging doubt.

I would be more confident backing him on a "flat" 10f at somewhere like Ascot or Newbury, rather than at Sandown with its tough uphill finish but I would be more than happy to be proved wrong.

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

I still think Frankel needs to relax even more during his races. When he does, few will live with him over 10f.

It is probably a given that Frankel will surpass Sea-Bird’s Timeform figure of 145 should he continue his winning ways at four.

However, and it would be remiss not to point this out: Timeform actually arrived at a figure of 145 for Sea-Bird after the powers that be in Halifax decided not to take the great colt’s Arc winning distance at face value. They took the view that the winning distances between first and third ( 6L & 5L ) were somewhat exaggerated and therefore decided to take a more conservative view ( 4L & 3 1/2L ) by using their own system to measure the distances. Hence why Sea-Bird was finally awarded rating of 145.

Had Timeform played by the book and taken a more literal view – i.e. went with the official distances, then Sea-Bird ( as pointed out by none other than John Randall ) would have been given a truer figure of 149 ! :shock:

* I also note that Coral have opened an early book for the 2012 Lockinge Stakes. Frankel 1/8, So You Think 5/1.
    That’s about right, I think. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

jose1993
    • Total Posts 1228

Sir Henry’s targeting 8 months in advance a 3yo+ wfa race at a time of year where he feels 3yo’s are disadvantaged? Adventurous, a cynic might say in sarcastic tones.

I hope we don’t see a four race campaign consisting of the Lockinge, Eclipse, International and Breeders’ Cup Classic.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

While it’s true the Lockinge is often poorly contested, Jose, there aren’t many all-aged 1m gp1’s in the calendar, and it’s entirely feasible that So You Think could have the race as his early season target also. Certainly be something to savour.

jose1993
    • Total Posts 1228

While it’s true the Lockinge is often poorly contested, Jose, there aren’t many all-aged 1m gp1’s in the calendar, and it’s entirely feasible that So You Think could have the race as his early season target also. Certainly be something to savour.

Yes, it’s more the combination of Lockinge then, in all likelihood, the Eclipse, rather than them as standalone races.

Mordin’s voiced opinions on the recent (ish) pattern changes – including the extended length of 3yo only Group 1 races and the number of 4yo+ Group 1 races – which I agree with.

Whilst not wishing to hastily pre-judge, it does appear Frankel will remain lightly raced as a 4yo with the emphasis of a main back-end target, which many presume will be Santa Anita.

Re So You Think – you could see with the early declaration of intent to run Frankel in the Lockinge followed by the Eclipse, Coolmore "shrewdly" find a non event to get a run into SYT before the Queen Anne. All supposition, but like you say, certainly something to look forward to during this dark winter period.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.