The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

form studying tools

Home Forums Horse Racing form studying tools

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    gerryke
    • Total Posts 14

ahead of the new jumps season i have a few quid to spend on on an internet based form study guide.i was an ultimate racing post member up until may but gave it up when the flat season got into full swing.while its a good service i’m wondering if there is an alternative.i hear hugh taylor talking about computer timeform quite a bit and he also mentions raceform interactive.are these worth the considerable outlay involved?

nighthorsenighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

After some of the results for the last weeekend, most noteably The Arc of course, but also so many very big priced surprise winners on flat and over jumps (biggest was 50/1), I should think your best investment would be a pin! :lol:

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 664

ahead of the new jumps season i have a few quid to spend on on an internet based form study guide.i was an ultimate racing post member up until may but gave it up when the flat season got into full swing.while its a good service i’m wondering if there is an alternative.i hear hugh taylor talking about computer timeform quite a bit and he also mentions raceform interactive.are these worth the considerable outlay involved?

As with many other types of purchase, it depends on what you, as the customer, want out of it. Start off with something you already know lots about – you. Have a good think about yourself: what you want out of racing, what skills you already have, what skills you could readily acquire, what weaknesses will always be with you, how much time, effort and attention to detail you can afford to put into it without upsetting your family or work. Are you good at mathematics and statistics, are you good at computer database manipulation and analysis? Do you know a lot about the subtleties of horseracing?

Once you are happy that you know about yourself, you can then decide how you want the internet to present you with information.

Pure data and little or no analysis
    Date, Track, Race Type, Race Class, Distance, Going, Stalls Position, Race Time,etc, etc,
    Horse Name, Draw, Finishing Position, Distance Beaten, Trainer, Jockey, etc, etc, for each horse

or, at the other extreme

A little data and a lot of analysis
    A racecard with ready-made ratings for each horse, and, especially, comments for each horse. For example: Rated 96 – 3 less than top rated. Comment: "Still progessing. Will like the ground and distance. Has a good inside draw which would be essential for Chester but he seems to lack the early pace to take advantage of it. Has a profile that gives him a good chance of winning if he has learned to start faster, or can be lucky in coming through from the back in this large field."

Perhaps you would want someting in between. Then it is a matter of research to find out which companies and services offer what you are looking for, and whether the price is right for you. I do not think there is one product that is the best for everybody. It is really horses for courses.

I have always preferred analysing the raw data, because it gives me a better chance of knowing something that most other people do not know and therefore getting a better price when I am betting. I also like it because it widens the fascination of racing, learning from analysis of raw data how particular trainers progress their horses, which tracks they use for a horse’s education, which jockeys they use in particular circumstances, how some horses come into form at certain times of the year, which chasers have better form on soft-fence tracks, etc. The possibilities are endless using analysis of raw data, but you do have to be experienced and wise enough to know what to look for, and disciplined enough to make the most of it.

gerryke
    • Total Posts 14

cheers for the detailed response marginal value-i would consider myself a fairly good student of the game particularly the jumps.like to think that i put in enough hours watching videos etc-i suppose i would prefer the data side of things.dont get me wrong having studied a race i will often luk at timeform comments for each horse on atr or the spotlight comments on pp website.would hope that i dont let them sway me but i probably do on occasion.for a purely data based service what would you advise?as for the maths side of things i certainky look for value in races and for little nuggets that have been missed in general which may lead to some value being found

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

Gerryke,

I get Timeform Perspective and Racehorses / Chasers And Hurdlers, the paper versions of their form books. Would not be without it.

If you’re thinking of getting an internet based Timeform product. Instead of going straight to "Computer Timeform", why not try Timeform "Race Passes" first, before deciding? That’ll give you a better idea so you’ll know if it’s what you’re looking for.

If you’re a "value" punter, Timeform will give you big priced winners too, if willing to look for it. Within the last week I’ve backed two winners at 20/1+ with the help of Timeform. Commanche Queen at Salisbury and Ponty Acclaim at Ascot (unfortunately chose to make the latter just a saver) and another 20/1 shot Snow Fairy placed. All put up on my Daily Lays And Plays thread (so can’t be accused of aftertiming).

value is everything
    Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 664

For access to the raw data you might try Raceform Interactive. To find out more about it and see if any of it might suit you, go to Racing Post online. Go to their Shop. Click on Raceform Interactive on the menu on the left, and their current offers will be shown. All of their options come with 5 years of back data. Their special offers change from time to time. Or go direct to their website at raceform.co.uk and take their Web Tour.

Kirovski
    • Total Posts 14

Gerryke

If you are comfortable with the racing post approach to form and ratings Raceform Interactive might be best for you. But if you are looking for something a little different you might want to take a look at Proform Professional which is possibly the best kept secret in racing as hardly anybody seems to know about it. It covers all racing Turf, AW and National Hunt in Britain and Ireland.
    It comes with a massive database and a whole raft of form and speed ratings.You get daily updates of declarations and results. It is easy to research form, going and distance preferences, and running styles for every horse and also pace and draw bias at each course. It also has a built in systems builder which has given me hours of (often profitable) fun.
    There is so much in it that it is a bit of a scary beast but you soon get into it if you start playing with it.I have been using it for 3 years or so and wouldn’t swap it for anything else.I don’t have a link for it to hand but if you google it, it will pop up.

HorseBettingBlog
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7

Yup Proform is a great tool.
    I have chatted to people who have used both it and raceform.
    More of them prefer proform.

There is a review with more information about at:- punterprofits.com

Note as well the info on how to get some discount.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

Rory Delargy mentioned Proform yesterday on Timeform radio and speaks very highly of it.

Best form tools are free though. They’re called eyes.

Video watching will find you more winners than any tool around.

elcarteroelcartero
    Participant
    • Total Posts 848

Try:- horseracebase.com