The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Films…..

Home Forums Lounge Films…..

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    Chubs
    • Total Posts 67

1 BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN<br>2 ALL THE CARRY ON FILMS<br>3 KES

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Mine, in no particular order, would be;

Monty Python’s Life Of Brian – scathing, ambitious, delightfully offensive, and above all very brave indeed.

Goodnight Lenin! – wonderfully realised. This could have been sub-Rixian farce in the wrong hands. Expect a dreadful US remake a decade hence.

Metropolis – the Fritz Lang 1920s original, natch.

Cabinet of Dr Caligari – the suspense and horror remains undimmed 87 years after it was made.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – an absolute feast for the eyes, probably the most visually stunning work I’ve ever seen.

Abbuzze! Der Badesalz Film – Imagine a 1990s remake of "And Now For Something Completely Different", only more lavatorial and entirely performed in the Hessisch dialect of central Germany. I like!

The Rocky Horror Picture Show – Mrs Column is ENTIRELY to blame for this, after I’d gone over 30 years without watching the damn thing….

Sleepy Hollow – one of Johnny Depp’s more preposterous accents, but a fine story and another visually evocative piece.

Ed Wood – Depp again. Something really endearing about the inept transvestite film-maker’s unbending optimism in the face of one disaster after another.

Team America – as hard as I’ve laughed at a film for a very long time. Thunderbirds with balls!

Little Voice – I’m biased to an extent, having been living in Scarborough during its creation, but it’s a sweet little film in its own right all the same.

Cry BabyGrease without all the sickly bits.

Bad Taste – exactly that, and all the better for it. The standard by which all no-budget films should be judged.

Clerks – negligible plot, tons of swearing, and the sort of cod-philosophical dialogue throughout that can only be dreamed up after too much wacky backy. It shouldn’t be able to run its course for an entire film. It does.

Linie 1 – barking 1980s musical set amongst assorted counter-culture types ekeing out their days on the underground system in Berlin. You almost expect Nina Hagen (the real one, not our fellow forumite) to pop up at any moment.

<br>WORST EVER FILM – I’d go a long way not to have to see the likes of Dirty Dancing and Top Gun again, frankly.

<br>Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 2:08 pm on Oct. 17, 2006)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

daiesy
    • Total Posts 104

anything scary, still haven’t seen the classic ones tho, they don’t have them in Lambourn!

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

On the subject of ‘scary’…

…If any of you find yourselves tempted to watch The Dark, The Descent, or Creep…

DON’T DO IT.

You’ll only want the hours back.

I made the mistake of indulging in a ‘so bad it’s good’, it might be hilariously bad mentality a few times and these were the results.

The Dark, which I saw with my new other half, at least confirmed we have the same sense of humour, in that we nearly choked on our take out at the same times.

They try to make sheep scary.

Sheep.

I ask you…:angry:

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Kid,you should see gamble after a few too many beers :o  :o  scary!

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

Quote: from SwallowCottage on 8:58 pm on Sep. 7, 2006[br]I really like asian people and their culture so for this reason<br>

I hate to be pedantic but that comment makes it sound as if the Asian continent has a shared culture (which would be odd, i.e., the countries of Japan and North Korea probably have very different ones).

I could ramble for ages on this topic, so instead I will restrict myself to listing my favourite films which start with the letter ‘m’: I like  Manhattan, Mean Streets and Midnight Cowboy.<br>

(Edited by NWRA at 8:05 pm on Dec. 12, 2006)

Gizmogirl
    • Total Posts 60

I’ll put a vote in for The Usual Suspects

http://http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/usual_suspects/

(Edited by Gizmogirl at 9:52 pm on Dec. 12, 2006)

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Happiness<br>Fargo<br>Dr Strangelove<br>Casablanca<br>The Man Who Wasn’t There

Plenty of sick humour, with a bit of romance thrown in for good measure.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

There aren’t many films I’ll watch having seen them numerous times before, but I sat through Forrest Gump on Channel 4 the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it again, so I guess that would have to be bang up there.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Just browsing through the thread because I’m so s**t
    at remembering films but agree with A Few Good Men. Jack Nicholson being taken to task on the stand is superb. ‘The Truth? You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth.’

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Sleepy Hollow, dj?!?

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

A film that I watched recently and enjoyed was Memoirs of a Geisha. I can see why it won an oscar for best cinematography – excellent stuff.<br>Script could have been better and it was slightly confusing watching a chinese actress play the part of the Japanese Geisha:o

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Usual Suspects<br>Shawshank Redemption<br>Lock stock<br>Memento

In no particular order, all great plots.

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Good call Aragorn.

victorm
    • Total Posts 7

hi a couple of films to watch if you like a film with good storyline and no swearing etc .the last confederate ,and the sineater.we watched em over the weekend and enjoyed em both

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

I just saw Zodiac :clap:  It was very good even though I knew the ending.<br>When he started to follow a creepy guy into the cellar it was a tad scarey :blush:

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Can’t say I’ve seen either of the films you mention victorm, however, have seen ZODIAC and was a little disappointed. Found the all the tooing and froing between the different county police forces plus all the suspects names etc. just too confusing for me. But perhaps that’s because I’m getting on.<br>Would strongly recommend The Lives of Others – a German film but not at all arty-farty; the best film I’ve seen in many a year.<br>For what it’s worth Victorm, there should be a thread about films some pages back in the Lounge – might be wrth you having a gander at.

(Edited by insomniac at 1:57 pm on June 27, 2007)

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.