The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Films…..

Home Forums Lounge Films…..

Viewing 17 posts - 307 through 323 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

…they also appeared together in:-

”They Died With Their Boots On”… which I think has all the attributes you mention :)

…it certainly cracks me up.. :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 120

Ah yes, another classic, they don’t make films like that any more…

My favourite horses - Red Rum, Spanish Steps, Proud Tarquin, Esban, Go-Pontinental, Barona, Charles Dickens, The Dikler, Astbury, Black Secret, Vulgan Town, Huperade, Well To Do, Crisp, Quintus, Argent, Colebridge, Pearl Of Montreal, Nereo, Sonny Somers, Tubs VI, Tartan Ace, Red Candle, L'Escargot, Bula, Beau Bob, Rouge Autumn, Rough Silk, Frodo, Deblin's Green, Prince Tino, Eyecatcher, The Pilgarlic, Captain Christy, Mr Midland, Interview II, Credit Call, My Virginian, Flush Of Diamonds, Scout, Money Ma

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

…Wrecking Crew….Blue Note….

‘The Sting’…how many times you watched it? :)

never get tired of it, unlike ‘The Great Escape’ which I don’t care if I never see again to be honest.

Participant
    • Total Posts 120

seen The Sting a fair few times…..

I’m more for BWs than modern films, it’s all special effects, violence and bad language, and you don’t get character actors like you used to. Bring back Richard Wattis and Irene Handl

My favourite horses - Red Rum, Spanish Steps, Proud Tarquin, Esban, Go-Pontinental, Barona, Charles Dickens, The Dikler, Astbury, Black Secret, Vulgan Town, Huperade, Well To Do, Crisp, Quintus, Argent, Colebridge, Pearl Of Montreal, Nereo, Sonny Somers, Tubs VI, Tartan Ace, Red Candle, L'Escargot, Bula, Beau Bob, Rouge Autumn, Rough Silk, Frodo, Deblin's Green, Prince Tino, Eyecatcher, The Pilgarlic, Captain Christy, Mr Midland, Interview II, Credit Call, My Virginian, Flush Of Diamonds, Scout, Money Ma

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I loved Stardust.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

You read suspiciously like a flower-powered baby-boomer going to seed Nafsasp

Welcome to the club :)

Some good films mentioned

I’d add:

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

Like its successor The Sting an all round great story and film, beautifully filmed and acted

Whistle Down The Wind

Romance does not obviously feature but Hayley Mills’ relationship with Alan Bates is curiously affecting, sweet and innocent: the near-pubescent girl and the older man

Casablanca

Need one say more. Presumably U or PG

• Total Posts 2390

Casablanca

possible my favourite film of all time.

I was going to nominate

As Good As It Gets

with Jack Nicolson and Helen Hunt but it’s a 15 rating :?

Another film I really liked was

The Mask

which I hope is a U as me my daughter used to watch it once a week when she about 5. Then we would run around the house shouting ‘…somebody stop me…’ :D Can’t remember what it is about now…

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

…oh I absolutely love Casablanca and would never miss it. It’s just so atmospheric isn’t it?…

Richard Wattis was in another old favourite ”The Great St. Trinian’s Train Robbery’ with Frankie Howerd and Dora Bryan.
    I do lilke these old films that include a racing theme, as when the little girl finds all the dosh and walks into the makeshift betting shop, looks up to the counter and says ”50 nicker on the nose”…. :lol:

another is Norman Wisdom’s ”Just My Luck” where he gets mistaken for a tic tac man waving his arms about shouting ”I got a bet on !!!” ”I got a bet on !!!”…”we’ll be rollin’ in the money !!!” :)

even in ‘The Great Escape” racing gets a mention.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Bogart’s films with Bergman and Bacall are as good as it gets

And with Hepburn nearly so…

The African Queen

Great story, great scenery, great acting and a marvellous study in the familiar trait of shy diverted-eye diffidence between two who fancy each other something rotten but can’t pluck up the courage to let it all out…until they do and then it’s all wine and roses

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

Interesting that several of those mentioned have a great musical score, something I’ve always thought is an essential ingredient in a classic film. The 1938 Robin Hood would be pretty ordinary imo without the music, but I agree it’s a film you can watch over and over and still enjoy.

Ditto Casablanca – the cafe scene when the French patrons defy the Germans by singing the national anthem is one of the most emotional in any film.

Two of my own favourites from my youth – Far From The Madding Crowd (I was mad about Julie Christie) and The French Connection (a completely unique film then, although the style has been much copied since).

AP

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

My favourite film of all time is The Jungle Book directed by Zoltan Korda and starring Sabu Never got to grips with the Walt Disney version after that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

There’s been several film threads here in t’lounge. Here’s one from sometime back in the palaeolithic that may be of interest

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I’ve never heard of The Thirteenth Warrior, but very much want to see it after reading some of the comments on here. As for scary films, The Omega Man [with Charlton Heston, not the more recent remake] stopped me going out after dark for many years; well, I was ok going out into streets and things, but I couldn’t go into the back garden without panicing. If the washing wasn’t in by nightfall it stayed out. The Descent [the first one] terrified me, as I get very claustrophobic anyway [don’t do lifts and things and would certainly never venture forth into a hole in the ground]. Alien terrified me as well, but I was able to watch it because I’m never going to be in a space ship. I have to avoid situations that I can relate to. Bit of a wimp….

• Total Posts 73

The 13th Warrior is great!

Aside from racing films like Phar Lap and Seabiscuit my favorite ones are:

The Usual Suspects
    The Color Purple
    My Fair Lady
    Madagascar (Don’t laugh at me)
    The Man From Snowy River
    The Lord Of The Rings
    Star Wars

Guilty pleasures??? Harry Potter, Twilight and Star Trek. LOLOLOL ;D

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

Has

Sexy Beast

had a mention yet?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

was misery mentioned :(

Tipster88
    • Total Posts 44

The social network is one of my recent favorites! shows how facebook came about and it really is quite unreal what went on, and is a really inspiring! Very clever people!!

Viewing 17 posts - 307 through 323 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.