The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Films…..

Home Forums Lounge Films…..

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Finally got round to watching The Kite Runner last night; had I not read the book I think I would have found it quite dull, and as an adaptation it seemed pretty close to the story, but there was something lacking. Had I just seen the film I wouldn’t’ve rushed out to buy the book, which is one of my favourite books of recent year.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Going to see ‘Let the Right One In’ tonight; I am really really scared, although I have been assured that it is more of a love story than a blood and gore film……may have to leave all the lights on at night for weeks, possibly months to come….oooerrrrr.

• Total Posts 1537

How can anyone be scared of a film, not unless it’s pitch dark, pissing down with rain and you live on your own in the middle of nowhere ?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

phew; not scared, but will probably avoid swimming pools for a while though; this film is amazing…..do men not get scared by films? is it a girlie thing? my ex used to do the Frankensteins monster thing when we used to walk home through a churchyard many years ago, and could never understand why it freaked me out; but you know it’s me, he used to say, so how can you be scared? men are from mars etc etc….

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

How can anyone be scared of a film, not unless it’s pitch dark, pissing down with rain and you live on your own in the middle of nowhere ?

I imagine watching Brokeback Mountain round at Jeffrey Dahmers place could be quite scary.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Brokeback Mountain was ok. Closet men trying too fit into Hetro world too which they were a part of, one of them payed the ultimate price… The ending is patly based upon a case of a gay man who who was pickd up in a wyoming bar, taken too a remote place by a chap who he thought ws gay, the other guy was in fact a screaming homophoci physoctic, he left the queen for dead rapped in barbwire, needless too say he didnt live even when he got medical helpa he had been wrapped in barbed wire for two days.
    Cold Mountain with Nicol Kidman was bloody dispressing. Jude Law looked about as sexy as a peice of rotten fish..

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I just saw the very end of Brokeback Mountain the other night when it was on the telly, and, just as I was starting to cry I remembered about Heath Ledger being dead as well and that finished me off. Cold Mountain was, well, cold..no chemistry between Kidman and Jude Law whatsoever; music was good, though…..just read that the guy who made Cloverfield is doing a remake of Let the Right One In: well, not a remake but starting from scratch from the book.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Finally got to see The Damned United tonight, and to be honest was a bit disappointed; re watched the documentary last night and found that much better. Possibly, the Leeds bit of Clough’s life was the least interesting part of it. More of a film to watch on the telly than see at the cinema, I guess; Martin Sheen was superb, as usual, but, for once Timothy Spall didn’t morph into someone else; he was still Timothy Spall. What it has made me wonder is, what if Cloughie had become England Manager, and failed? We all assume that he would have been brilliant, but, what if?? However, am planning to do some shopping in Nottingham in the next few days, and shall go and pay my respects to his statue.

• Total Posts 1537

I watched the wrestler and really enjoyed it. Micky Rourke is the man.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I re read the Observer interview with Mickey Rourke last night and can’t wait to see this film. He really would have won an Oscar if they weren’t scared of what he would say or do at the award ceremony. I can’t believe that he used to be a sex symbol on a parr with Brad Pitt years ago. He’s had so much re construction work done on his face because of his boxing career. They did the film on a low budget so they could have him as lead even though they could have had a lot more money had they gone for a box office name, and filmed at real wrestling events to save money.

• Total Posts 1537

I guess he was a good looking fella back in the day Moe. You could probably pick up a copy of Angel Heart for about a fiver on play.com, good film. I think Sean Penn beat him to the award for his display in ‘milk’. I will probably watch that film within the next couple of days. My brother burns them onto disc.

I guess i can’t say much about it until you’ve saw it. It’s a good character he plays.

• Total Posts 1537

I saw Gran Torino on Wednesday. I would say it’s not bad, but take out Clint Eastwood and it’s wouldn’t be any use. There was a couple of good moments, but the supporting cast could’ve been better. It’s worth a watch if you like Eastwood, which i do.

• Total Posts 1537

Earlier i saw another one called ‘Sherrybaby’. The main charcter is played by Maggie Gyllenhaal who plays Rachel Dawes in the Dark Knight. She’s a young mother out of prison, and is trying to get a relationship with her daughter back on track.

It was on Filmflex for a pound, which is well worth it. The film depicts the harsh relaity for many young woman in her predicament !

There’s probably a trailer on imdb for it if anyone wants to check.

Ems
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11

Saw Angels and Demons at the weekend. Excellent film, great twist, enough history to be interesting without being boring and and the special effects were amazing.

• Total Posts 1537

I think i’ll bring this thread back up even though it seems like people have lost interest. I watched Of mice and men, which i’m sure you all have saw and would agree is a fantastic film.

Now for the unknown. I watched a film called ‘the visitor’, which is an independant film with Richard jenkins. I got it for £1 in the filmflex special offer with Virgin Media. It’s a very good film and very thought provoking with regards to migration. I would like anyone in here to check it out then get back to this thread. It’s only a quid !

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Starnge that you should mention The Visitor, because, sad person that I am, I’ve got a box on the shelf above the computer with Observer film reviews of films that I’m planning to see; I’ve just gone through it looking for something else and The Visitor was in there [will read what it says in a minute]. My daughter saw Slumdog Millionaire the other night

and she was quite disappointed, but said that she is so addicted to watching The Wire that she can’t get interested in anything else at the moment. I’m still waiting to get a copy of The Wrestler, and I missed Cinderella Man when it was on BBC1 on Monday. It’s Cat Stevens night on BBC4 tonight so, when I’ve finished listening to my new Kasabian cd I shall watch a couple of hours of ‘the artist formerly known as…..’

• Total Posts 1537

I’d reccommend it Moe, you can’t go wrong as it’s only a quid ! I’ve saw Slummdog and it’s a good film, but not one i’d watch again. Now the wire i’ve read alot about, but haven’t watched yet. I will need to give the wire a try at some point, and just hope it’s anywhere as good as the Sopranos and i’ll like it alright. I’m gonnae add Cinderella Man to my list of need to watch, because i was flicking through the box the other day and came across it, but i need to watch something from the start so i’ll just need to see it some other time. I don’t listen to Kasabian, i’ve got a wide range of taste in music(alot of which you’d probably not like), and i’m currently downloading 50 years of Motown, and got Oasis – Only the singles(self explanatory), Beyonce – i am Sasha Fierce, R.E.M – Best Of and Paolo Nutini – Sunny side Up. As for "’the artist formerly known as…..’, i’d imagine that’s about Cat Stevens who you mention earlier in your post…hmmm i don’t know much about him to be honest apart from he’s an Islamic convert and he sings.

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.