The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Festival going

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2015 Festival going

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Running ReinRunning Rein
    Participant
    • Total Posts 186

In startling and unsettling news, which frankly I am astonished has not made the quality newspapers, TV, internet etc. never mind the trade daily, they have removed the webcam from the roof of the Municipal offices overlooking the Promenade in Cheltenham town centre for so called ‘building works’. Disgrace.
    Therefore it is no longer possible to utilise this annual staple of my Cheltenham build up to see if it is raining in Prestbury in real time and match my selection’s ground requirements to likely conditions.
    I have tried to circumvent this grave dereliction by Gloucestershire County Council by locating a substitute ‘cam but the nearest I can get is Gloucester Airport some 10kms from the track. A poor consolation, I am sure you will agree, but I include it here for your perusal and review, in any case.
    http://www.camsecure.co.uk/GloucesterAirportWebcam.html

Since most of my ante post picks require a bit of cut, I can sometimes go nearly 30 minutes without looking at this and incidentally I have become fairly expert on the Cessna 172 and its optimum conditions.

Started work on the handicaps now, taking them a bit more seriously this year but I have been rocked this morning to discover that ‘Shark’ Hanlon is actually considering running Hidden Cyclone in the Ryanair over the QM. In all seriousness, if that is his decision they should remove his training license from him forthwith. The man is a danger to himself and others.

nicks1976
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

I actually live less than 10 minutes from Cheltenham racecourse so let me be your very own “Michael Fish” in the build up for the upcoming week.

This morning I can tell you that we had a small amount of rain over night and this morning there white cloud with small amounts of blue sky.

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8279

I actually live less than 10 minutes from Cheltenham racecourse so let me be your very own “Michael Fish” in the build up for the upcoming week.

This morning I can tell you that we had a small amount of rain over night and this morning there white cloud with small amounts of blue sky.

Any word on that Hurricane rumoured for Champion Chase Day Michael? ;-)

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

nicks1976
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

The only hurricane next week will be the one chasing faugheen and the new one in the champion hurdle.

Today`s weather in cheltenham was cold windy but blue sky. I will take that if it’s like that this time next week.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

One thing is for certain:
    Whether the going is genuinely Good, good-soft or soft… the official going for the Festival will be “good-soft”.
    ;-)

value is everything
    burroughillburroughill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 102

Well apparently spring is coming along like an express train this weekend, so my uneducated guess is good.

I'd like to live in a place where they cordon off swans...
    adminadmin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 731

Did I see today that the clerk is threatening to water the course?

Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

Well apparently spring is coming along like an express train this weekend, so my uneducated guess is good.

That would be my guess of the genuine state of the ground too BH, but doesn’t stop them calling it “good-soft”. Target the track has (sometimes through watering) for starting the Festival on is good-soft.

Person judging whether the team have achieved that “good-soft” ground (giving the official description) is the very person in charge of that team. You could not make it up. :negative:

I time the first few races and come to an independent opinion of the ground. It is often different to the “official”. ;-)

value is everything
    nicks1976
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

In the local newspaper it has been reported that currently the ground is good to soft and soft in places however we are due some warm weather later in the week so I think the plan is to water the course over the weekend. I can confidently say that the ground will be good to soft come Tuesday when the roar of the crowd starts off the supreme Nov hurdle.

burroughillburroughill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 102

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>burroughill wrote:</div>

That would be my guess of the genuine state of the ground too BH, but doesn’t stop them calling it “good-soft”. Target the track has (sometimes through watering) for starting the Festival on is good-soft.

Person judging whether the team have achieved that “good-soft” ground (giving the official description) is the very person in charge of that team. You could not make it up. :negative:

I time the first few races and come to an independent opinion of the ground. It is often different to the “official”. ;-)

Fair enough :good:

I'd like to live in a place where they cordon off swans...
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3080

This camera is closer than the airport and you can use these motorway cameras to check weather across the country:

http://www.motorwaycameras.co.uk/viewcamera/?motorway=m5&motorwayid=18&cameraid=659

DiamondGeezerDiamondGeezer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 474

The going is updated daily on here by the racecourse

DiamondGeezerDiamondGeezer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 474
    grey dolphingrey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 653

What is wrong with starting on good ground :negative: Keep the hoses off.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

What is wrong with starting on good ground :negative: Keep the hoses off.

Presumably rather water before the Festival to create officially good-soft because watering too much during the Festival can lead to a slippery surface GD. Also, if they aim for “good-soft” and get it wrong – it’ll likely end up genuine “good” ground anyway by mistake. Where as aiming for “good” ground could end up with genuinely “good-firm” by mistake… Going on the firm side is usually more dangerous, particularly when connections are so keen to run. If it were anywhere else some would pull their soft ground horses out; where as here they’d take a chance because it’s Cheltenham. If that makes sense?

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.