The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fast Heart

Home Forums Horse Racing Fast Heart

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3106

<br>Where would racing be without it’s share of optimists and dreamers?

Fast Heart was a useful sprinter in his younger days, although his only two wins came as a 2-y-old. As recently as 2005, he was running in top handicaps off a mark that peaked at 101.

By the end of last turf season, he’d dropped to 83 and was claimed by Ron Harris, who has revived a number of similar types. But nothing he tried has worked the oracle with Fast Heart, who has descended to selling company on the AW without success and his rating is now down to 57.

Earlier this week, after he’d finished third in a seller at Wolverhampton, he was claimed by a Mr E Nisbet, who sounds like a character from a Peter Cook sketch. He’s clearly a humourist of sorts, as in his attempt to halt the decline in the fortunes of Fast Heart, he has sent him to Alan Berry.

He runs tomorrow in a handicap at Lingfield – good luck Mr Nisbet!

AP

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Can two bad uns make a good un? :biggrin:

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Agreed Alan…..6k seems a lot of money given this horse has proved too much for Dandy Nicholls and Ron Harris.

It wouldnt be the biggest surprise were this one eligible for 0-45 Classified events before May….

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I remember this horse from a couple of years ago – I think he was trained by Brian Meehan. He may have been one of those 3yo’s who was hard to place after winning as a 2yo.<br>Fast Heart has obviously gone downhill fast since then ( the only thing he has done fast ! ). Good luck to Mr Nisbet – he’ll need it.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

I think the owner has NH horses with Peter Monteith (I think Touch of Ivory is his).<br>Ted was convinced on FF that Fast Heart would win soon and I eventually managed to convince him the horse wasn’t up to winning anymore.<br>Surely a switch to Berry won’t see the horse back in the winners enclosure,will it????

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

What if all this is a carefully planned tactic?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm…

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Fast Heart does retain some ability and can win a small race over 5f/6f on firm, I never give up and I agree with Ted over at Final Furlong Racing that this horse can win again but I’m not sure about Alan Berry ;)

What if he wins tomorrow? :biggrin:

Some of you will be eating humble pie very soon

His latest start was very encouraging :point: Fast Heart

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3106

<br>Jim,

You’re not sure about Alan Berry – well that is precisely my point. I’ve nothing against the horse and I also feel it’s still capable of winning a race down at this level.

But why send it to Berry, who has sent out nearly 100 consecutive losers since his last winner 6 months ago.

AP

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

I do have something against the horse – I don’t think he wants to win any more. He seems to run the same type of race irrespective of the grade and if humble pie is required, then humble pie will be eaten.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

On the subject of Alan Berry – I’m always on the look out for horses from his yard that have shown ability (rare) when switched to other trainers. Berry managed to sqeeze a class 3 handicap win out of Desert Lord a couple of years before he won a Group 1 for Kevin Ryan and I reckon he has another good ‘un on his hands in the shape of Snow Dancer. This one recently ran fourth to Players Please in a hot Wolverhamptpn maiden – the winner, runner-up and fifth all won next time out and the first five pulled 15 lengths clear of the rest. That probably makes Snow Dancer Listed class at least. Anyone fancy going halves if she shows up in a claimer next time? We can send her to Kevin Ryan and aim her at the Arc.

(Edited by Mounty at 9:05 am on Mar. 9, 2007)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Agree with Smithy. Horse had an aversion to winning even in his pomp. The fact he’s getting turned over in sellers now to me suggests it’s his attitude moreso than a marked lack of retaining ability.

Mounty is spot on. My favourite words I read in a comment are ‘ has left A. Berry’. 2 others on the all-weather last year were Danetime Lord and Smart Ass. Both were well held in 3 starts for Berry at 2 yrs. They’ve since won 9 races between them.

Also agree about Snow Dancer. Horses that show consistent form for these rank bad trainers are always worth looking out for in sellers and claimers.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I totally understand your posts and the stats but what do you think has happened.  Surely Jack must still have a say and surely he hasn’t forgotten how to train?

Presumably he’ll also have an opinion about the strife that Alan has been in recently.

Richard Guest is moving up there to Cockerham to take up some stables (apparently Berry only has 40 horses and 116 boxes).    They’ve got a Polytrack and lab now – perhaps things will begin to turn around?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3106

<br>Adrian,

Jack Berry used to thrive on sharp juveniles bought cheaply as yearlings at Doncaster Sales and raced in maidens and sellers through the first three months of the season. Most years, one or two proved to be good enough to compete in better class.

At the same time that Alan took over the licence, the BHB reduced the number of 2-y-old races in April and May, especially the sellers. Doncaster started their own valuable sales race and the market there moved up, so that the cheap yearlings were no longer on offer.

They needed to adapt, but didn’t have the owners with the buying power to do that and there doesn’t seem to have been a Plan B.

AP

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Fast Heart is 2 wins from 47 starts and is on a losing run of 42 since a win at Chester in Aug 03.<br>It has been turned over at various odds (including odds on) as far down as selling company.<br>When did A Berry improve a horse?<br>Doubtless it may pop up in lowly company one day but its not one I’d have much faith or interest in.<br>

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

A head away from going in at 14/1 today.<br>10 runner event

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.