The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fallon charged

Home Forums Horse Racing Fallon charged

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 743 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

He must be putting on weight!:biggrin:

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

An interesting point about this case is that there will apparently be a series of three "linked" trials next year. It wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if an embargo was placed on the reporting of the detail of the earlier cases so as to avoid prejudicing the subsequent ones.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

More bloody numbers EC :o

Is that admissable evidence? :)

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Fallon was riding in Ireland tonight, in France tomorrow.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Some time ago the Aga Khan refused to support English Racing because he thought he was getting a bad deal from the English Racing authorities. Something about disqualifying his horses based on inadequate  testing. There is a rumor in the Irish Independent that Coolmore feels agreeved that their No 1 jockey has no time limit on his suspension that they can use to make racing plans for the future. What would be the effect on English racing if Coolmore decided to not race in England,and race only in France, Ireland, Italy and the US?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

There is a lot of ink spilt attempting to equate holding an enquiry into the actions of a jockey and those of professionals of other pursuits.

A jockey is supposed to follow the instructions of the trainer or the owner. Most other professionals are hired to use their professional judgement.<br>How often have we heard a jockey saying "when I realized I could not win I eased up on my horse.No point on giving him a hard race when I found out I could not win" Yet nobody is called "in" for making such statements. ( the jockey is looking after his owner’s interest,not the betting public). Sir Percy for example got a hard race in the Guineas even when he could not win. It nearly cost him participation in the Derby. Or do we have different standards for different stables? We give horses "preparation" races if they are from "big" stables if not we ban them for using the race course to train their horses.<br>Cash Asmussen once said "They bet two quid on my horse and then want to tell me how to ride"Punters have to realise that all horses are not tryers in every race they run. <br>Aidan O’Brien’s horses improve from race to race so a punter won’t rush to back his 3yo’s first time out.But Aidan will never be called in for using the racecourse as a training arena even if that is what he does. A jockey who does not follow his owners (or trainers) instructions may not be reengaged. There was a big row between Frankie and the sheiks when he did not follow instructions recently.Most jockeys face the same problems daily.<br>Finally there has been a rash of incidents where jockeys eased up thinking they had won only to lose in the final strides. There is a basic conflict between the handicapper and the trainer. The handicapper uses the races to evaluate the horses. The trainer is trying to win and the handicapper is looking for a draw. As long as this conflict exists we will not have horses winning by more than is necessary since to do so only helps the handicapper to defeat the trainer. Finally we must remember, jockeys are paid by the owner not by the handicapper!

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

There is absolutely no chance Coolmore will not target their horses at English races. Forget about that one.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

There is absolutely no chance Coolmore will not target their horses at English races. Forget about that one.

Maybe there is more to it…..

Coolmore weighs boycott in reaction to Fallon ban<br>By Alan Lee, Racing Correspondent<br> <br> <br> <br>AS KIEREN FALLON busied himself this weekend, riding in Ireland and France neither happily nor productively, questions swirled around the racing community that has sent him into exile. What is abundantly clear is that, despite facing a police charge and a ban from riding in Britain, his story has not even paused for breath. <br>Fallon will appeal to the Horseracing Regulatory Authority (HRA) on Wednesday, in the slim hope that the landmark decision reached last Friday will be overturned internally. What happens next is exercising many minds and, while further appeals to courts of law and human rights are being mooted, it is also possible that British racing will reap a quite different whirlwind.

<br> <br>Coolmore, the wealthy conglomorate headed by John Magnier that employs Fallon, is said to be mightily irritated by the indefinite loss of its jockey for all British engagements. One of the retributions being rumoured is a withdrawal, at least temporarily, from racing in this country. While this may seem an extreme move, punishing their own interests, it would also be a resounding statement of solidarity and I understand it was discussed in the immediate aftermath of the ban being imposed.

The Aidan O’Brien stable, centre for Coolmore’s racing operation, has a handful of entries at Newmarket’s three-day July meeting, which starts on Wednesday, but late yesterday it seemed that no moves had been made to engage senior jockeys to replace Fallon.

It remains to be seen if a boycott develops, or commercial pragmatism holds sway, but the sense of indignation permeating the head men of Coolmore should not be underestimated. They believe their man has been pre-judged and they are unlikely to be supine about it.

Elsewhere, opinions on the treatment of Fallon and the other jockeys charged, Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams, are polarised. Many cling to the maxim of innocent-until-proven-guilty and believe the sport has been unduly harsh. Yet this is not necessarily a majority view even among racing professionals, some of whom identify with the HRA’s belief that integrity, or the perception of integrity, would be grossly undermined by doing nothing.

The three-man panel that deliberated on Friday produced a lengthy statement, high on clarity and not devoid of compassion. Hence, Lynch and Williams, freelance jockeys without Fallon’s fallback of a retainer, will receive compensation payments if the British Horseracing Board (BHB) decides at its scheduled meeting today that they are appropriate.

Inevitably, however, the focus remains squarely on Fallon. Once the police had charged him with conspiracy to defraud, this talismanic figure was destined to be the character on whom the credibility of the case stands or falls.

To the general public, it hardly matters that ten other people face similar or greater charges. They have never heard of them, while Fallon is a household name. If he is acquitted, the case will attract derision even if others are found guilty.

While Lynch and Williams may suffer as much, and arguably more, from being unlicensed, Fallon will command the attention. His every move will be monitored in the coming weeks and months and speculation has already developed.

Paddy Power, the bookmaker, shortened his odds on being Irish champion jockey from 10-1 to 13-2 on Saturday. Yet will he want to be riding at Wexford when the King George meeting begins, or at Galway during Glorious Goodwood? For how long will that satisfy his restless ambitions?

Fallon can still ride in other countries, and did so at Chantilly yesterday when unplaced on Ivan Denisovich in the Prix Jean Prat. France has the lure of Deauville during August and the big autumn races at Longchamp. Beyond that, Coolmore will want him to ride in the Breeders’ Cup but Fallon has already had trouble entering America when only on bail â€â€Â

• Total Posts 1631

Aye, let Coolmore throw tedddy out of pram, i’m sure there’s plenty of other Stud/Owners will gladly jump at the opportunity to grab some black type for their horses while they’re sulking

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

What coolmore should do is now run their horses in Hong Kong, Japan or Australia

I am sure they would welcome KF with open arms……

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Dear grasshopper<br>We go to extremes. Special cases make bad laws. If the handicapper  asked to check where he kept his winkle he would be extending his authority to breaking point.<br>What does the law say about running horses to get them fit? Must a trainer always instruct his jockey to win at all costs?Jockeys have been banned for trying too hard; for not trying hard enough and for not giving a horse the best chance… by people who have never ridden in a race in their lives…..but I degress  I dont think the jockeys have been cautioned for riding with their winklers misplaced.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Clivex<br>As far as the US goes there are many jockeys who are as good as Fallon that they could use there. In England the problem is shortage of first class jockeys. Look how far down the pecking order they had to go last Saturday just to get any jockey. The creme de la creme does  not extend far in England   (pardon my french I write it so poorly). And French jockeys are so bad it does not matter who they put up there. In my opinion  they should hire Franki away from the Arabs. He rode beautifully in the Leger last year for Coolmore.He would surely relish the chance to ride a group winner again.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Andyod

Personally I like to see local jocks used anyway. Good point re Frankie whos relationshp with godolphin has been strained maybe?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Lynch and Williams will receive compensation from  the ERB Fallon will receive nothing. What is the logic of that?Fallon loses more than either by not riding group winners.Do they expect his retainers to take the place of the ERB when he cannot ride for his retainers? What kind of justice is that?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Pretty sure its because hes registered in Ireland

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

Quote: from thedarkknight on 9:50 am on July 10, 2006[br]Racing’s inner circle closing ranks – shurely not :o

If they want to boycott our races, then more fool them.

Let’s hope the HRA aren’t bullied into reversing their brave decision….<br>

More a subtle attempt to pressure the authorities.  Just doing good business as always and nothing to do with teddies and prams I would imagine.

By the way, there is often a strong whiff of xenophobia on some of these threads.

SHL

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

SHL

Not from me. Wasnt being sarcastic. Pretty sure thats the technicality

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 743 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.