Fakenham want to do beach racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Fakenham want to do beach racing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1906

Fakenham Clerk of the course wants to bring beach racing to UK after visiting Laytown.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/beach-racing-could-be-on-its-way-to-britain-as-fakenham-clerk-hatches-bold-plan/413140

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1250

Watched racing on the beach via racing TV at Laytown one Sunday. I wondered what was going on. Ginger MC Cain trained Rummy on Southport Beach back in the 70s so no harm there, but as long as they keep them donkeys away.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 140

I am sceptical. It sounds like a bit of a gimmick. Is there really demand for it here?

Having said that, I can highly recommend a trip to Laytown. I went there four years ago and it really does live up to the hype.

KrisKris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 454

Fakenham isn’t the easiest place to get to, and by all accounts it can be an eventful drive there. I know that this has been attributed to low fields in the past. Could this be a problem?

It’s not the worst idea I’ve ever seen, and I could see it taking off.

Perhaps the people who are behind the idiotic plans for City Racing, could divert their efforts to this instead.

KrisKris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 454

I should add that I would definitely support this, should it get off the ground.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 140

Agree with Kris. The location could be the problem here.

Part of the reason why Laytown is so successful is because it is easy to get to on the train from Dublin. It is only a short walk to the “track” from the local station with a good pub or two on the way.

The one time I went to Fakenham, it took about two hours from Kings Cross to Kings Lynn and then I had to wait a while for a bus to Fakenham which took about 45 minutes to get there. I know a lot of tourists go to the Norfolk coast but they are not all racegoers.

Despite the journey, Fakenham is well worth a visit. A proper small jumps track.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 225

The clerk must have been very tongue in cheek. He made little mention of the poor transport links and near impossible logistics of staging a large gathering in such an isolated location.
    The vast expanse of sand is there alright but you can’t get to it!!
    Forget it!

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 225

Just to add that the Household Cavalry makes extensive use of the beach and sea at Holkham each summer.
    There is some impressive footage on youtube.
    Logistics are not a problem for the Brith Army.

But a commercial event with a cast of hundreds would not work in an area of outstanding natural beauty with very difficult access. Thats before even considering spectators who couldnt get there anyway. (Beach managed by Natural England).

A seaside city with all the relevant access points road and rail would be a more sensible idea.
    But isnt the summer fixture list jampacked already
    with turf flat meetings and summer jumps oh and the all weather…?
    Perhaps Newmarket could give up a couple of dates.

A beautifully isolated and tranquil part of the world to visit. I hope it stays that way too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.