The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Exchanges and Contributions to Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Exchanges and Contributions to Racing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 2432

Hi all

I know I run the risk of lifting the collective veil of denial here as regards the exchanges, but just how much per race do Betfair put into racing?

I’ve seen some colossal amounts matched recently and if Mr Angry’s figures are correct, (£60,000 per meeting on average bet on the Tote in the last year plus bookmaker turnover), then there is an issue.

I’ve seen that figure in the past couple of weeks matched in ten minutes on selling plates at Wolver.

Do Betfair make a direct contribution? Genuine query.

Zebra
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

The contribution they make to British racing is through the Levy which, for them, is 10% of their commission on British horseracing bets.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3708

<br>Max,

BF pay gross profits tax and Levy on the same terms as the bookies to the best of my knowledge.

And surely it’s also comon knowledge that the total amounts matched on a race are not a realistic indication of turnover, since there are plenty of players in there who back and lay a horse in order to turn a small profit margin – this is of course sophisticated stuff for an intellectual like Wilson to grasp.

If you go to the BF site and look at the forum section that covers press releases, you can find details of their 2004 annual report, although nothing since. That gives figures for duty and Levy paid that year.

That quotes a figure of £3.9M for Levy payments in the year ending April 30, 2004 – I reckon that equates to somewhere between £400 and £500 per race.

It seems reasonable to assume that figure will have risen since – I’m sure someone out there will know the answers.

AP

• Total Posts 2432

Thanks Zebra/AP. Much appreciated.  :biggrin:

<br>

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.