The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 350 total)
  • Author
    Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

I’ve had a look through the forum, I don’t think anyone has started this one yet, so I will kick it off.

A bit speculative, but there is a little bit of money for Aiden O’Brien’s Brazil today in the 2.05 Curragh Maiden. It’s over a mile and it’s on heavy ground, so if he were to win this and he needs to on his third start to be considered a Derby horse, then the current standout 100/1 that William Hill are offering won’t last long at all. He is a brother to Irish Derby and St Leger winner Capri and Passion who was placed in this year’s Irish Oaks.

He hasn’t shown enough on 2 starts this year, but on breeding, no way he should be a 100/1 shot for the Derby. Generally, Aidan’s two-year-olds are not firing at all this season on his standards, which makes me think he’s probably done something a little different with them this year due to the virus and delayed start etc. I’m expecting a few to start to really stand out this month/next month.

It’s a little bit all or nothing on today though, but I’ll stick him up and let’s see how he gets on!

Brazil 100/1

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

He went off 7/4JF and stuck it out well to win by a neck. Beat Flying visit by half a length who was beaten a length by High Definition (25/1 for the Derby) last time. Looked heavy going on the ground, be interesting to see where they take him next and whether he has the speed for the Derby. William Hill cut him to 66s, down as low as 33s in some places

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

I’ll throw a dart at High Definition 25-1 at this stage.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

High definition, Van Gogh, Wembley and Brazil entered in the Juvenille Stakes for Saturday at the moment from AOB.

Mac Swinney also entered for Jim Bolger, could be an informative race

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

‘Wembley’ is about the least likely name for a Coolmore homebred I can think of.

BUY THE SUN

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7671

Normally have one for race but not been bowl over by any so far

Participant
    • Total Posts 12797

I’ve been checking since his 1st run to see if there was any sign of Latest Generation in
    the Derby betting. He was 3rd behind 2 more experienced short priced types from Stoute
    and Appleby at Sandown 1st time out. I thought it was a hugely promising run. He’s a
    Frankel colt, and the 1st foal of Rizeena who won the Group 1 Moyglare Stud States at
    2 and the Group 1 Coronation Stakes at 3. He is did it the hard way from the front today
    at Doncaster, and when they came at him he quickened away.

He appeared in the betting for the 1st time today with 3 firms pricing him up. Two
    were 25/1 and one, Bet365 was 50/1. It’s a long way to go, but if he progresses like
    I hope, he might just have a decent chance here.

Latest generation 50/1 Bet365

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

High Definition a warm order tomorrow. Pressure is on.

Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

I am on Latest Generation 50/1, now 33/1 and Derab 50/1. Only small bets but at those price can return a big win.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

Blimey. I was about to curse the ride but the horse got him out of trouble. 😉

Participant
    • Total Posts 8217

He does not do anything quickly, does he? But he obviously has an engine and is very willing.

The Derby distance is clearly going to be right up his street but I would be worried about his seeming lack of tactical speed.

He clearly acts at the Curragh so is maybe more of an Irish Derby horse?

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

He’s raw still, connections were talking about looking forward to next year with him after his debut run.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8217

O’Brien suggested he will start off next year in the Guineas. You have to respect his chance but he might be vulnerable to something with a turn of foot.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

Not sure we saw a derby winner there

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

The guineas will be a minefield next year with the interruption to the 2yo season this year

Participant
    • Total Posts 16441

I was really impressed with Royal Champion first day winner at Newmarket this week, who missed the break and quickly caught up with the field. He showed a good turn of foot going up the hill and finding more to hold off Godolphin’s fancied runner Toromona.
    By Sharmadal and trained by Roger Varian, he is currently 50/1 with Unibet and I think he’s going to get a whole lot better judging by that performance. :good:

Royal Champion
    50/1

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1605

Looks all over a huge derby contender. Very similar to high chaparral as a 2yo. Gangly but some engine in it. Could have seen the oaks winner earlier on in Santa Barbara.The fact that aiden is not running either again this season tells me they think hugely of both horses.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 350 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.