The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Epsom derby 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Epsom derby 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 387 total)
  • Author
    hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 952

I will stick to the German version and play my Adrian :good:

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Certainty ham. Hee hee.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 399

I hope Kameko runs here now. Always like to see a Guineas winner go for the Derby.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

They’ll have a go probably. I’d fancy the 4th to turn the tables over 12 furlongs out of the two.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 399

Balding said he wants to go for the Derby. Looks like it might happen. Qatar Racing were happy to let Roaring Lion take his chance at Epsom and it did him no harm even though he was beaten – so there must be a good chance he will run at Epsom.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1620

Agree about palace pier Mike

He looked to have plenty of pace, put that race to bed in a couple of strides

Looked a 1m-1m2f horse to me, albeit a very promising one

kris_kin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33

What do people make of Military March’s Guineas run as stepping stone to the Derby?
    I backed him for the Derby before the guineas hoping he’d be a staying on 3rd or fourth.
    Not sure that run gives me much confidence however as wasnt making up ground at the end.
    I’m not great at interpreting such things though and interested to know what others think.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22016

Kris, I think the difference in this year’s guineas is that the going was fast compared to other years which would favour the speedy types. They tend to travel easier throughout the race and have more in the tank at the business end whereas if the going was good to soft they have to work a bit harder earlier and therefore don’t finish as well as the stayers whose stamina kick in. The winner finished like a train and the times have been fast all week.

Member since March 2008
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

I agree with Nathan’s points. Military March ran a respectable enough race as a Derby trial. Wouldn’t put anyone off him after that. Just needs further.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 838

Near perfect trial for the derby for MM, I just feel he should’ve been slightly closer to get really excited about it though. You’d normally want to see him have a good chance of winning but just get outpaced, he was a good 4th but was actually never going to win that if you watch his run, so questionmarks still for me. Derby looks well open now, waldkonig, al aasy, al suhail all bombing yesterday , mogul maybe not going to be quite ready , kameko I don’t think is a derby horse , English king possibly not good enough . Very interesting now

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

I’d take the Mogul needing 2 runs before the Derby with a pinch of salt myself. There may be something in it this time but recent evidence isn’t there. If trainer can get Guineas horses ready with 0 preps he should be able to get one ready for Derby with 1 prep. AVD last year had a setback early season which delayed his start until Lingfield. So not an ideal prep plan. Didn’t stop him from winning. His previous winner (Wings of Eagles) also had 1 prep. And so did the one before that. (Australia).

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3018

Mogul not running in Derrinstown so assume going to Royal Ascot instead.
    I have put my first bet on Russian Emperor at 50s. He’s beautifully bred by Galileo out of a 10f G1 winning mare and os a fine big beast who finished strongly in his two races so far.

Comorant and Iberia also run on Tuesday but they both have blinkers on…hmm not keen. Iberia plenty of experience and beat RE in his first run but doesn’t have as much scope I don’t think.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2486

Nothing to suggest this yet? He’s short pricewise, but he’s seriously promising.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 838

English King’s RPR from Lingfield is 111 and his dam fails on a pretty significant breeding trend. He needs a huge step up to the win the derby off that Lingfield run. Need to see what else is in the race, but I’d be very disappointed if Mogul achieves 111 in his trial whenever that would be. Looks like King Edward now

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 838

Although saying that he can probably be marked up a few pounds off that figure as they didn’t really get that serious with him to be fair

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 387 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.