The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dunguib

Home Forums Horse Racing Dunguib

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2009/0721/dunguib.html

Dunguib fails banned substance test

Tuesday, 21 July 2009 09:51

Cheltenham and Punchestown bumper winner Dunguib has tested positive for a banned substance.

The postive test was returned after the horses’ win at the Paddy Power Champion Bumper at Punchestown in April.

The results of a ‘B’ sample are still being awaited but if the results match, Philip Fenton’s stable star will be stripped of its title.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

Very interesting.

He was very impressive.

May this be an explanation into why.

Why the delay though in finding such things? ? ?

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

I’m told it wasn’t a performance enhancing drug but a banned substance is a banned substance.

I’ve heard Philip Fenton say how hard it is to keep him sound because he is a box-walker. Possibly might be something to do with that but I’m only speculating.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I hope this doesn’t turn into another Nicky Henderson type affair. I really wish they would have a fresh look at which drugs are genuine medicines and distance them from real performance enhancing drugs.

I just feel that if like in Hendersons case a horse is a bleeder a trainer/vet should be allowed to administer any medicine that help cure that.

Even if the trainer had to register a horse as a bleeder and it be made public the horse was running on medicaton who would object?

A thought for the owner as well. He could spend his hard earned cash buying a horse who can’t perform properly because of some ailment and he can’t treat the horse because of some rule.

I’m no expert on the subject but it does seem a bit odd to me.

I don’t know what Philip Fenton supposidly gave the horse but it sems it was not performance enhancing but is banned :shock: .

So does this mean racing may lose a potential superstar? Can’t see PF giving a horse something he wasn’t in need of.

I

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

It should be emphasised that it was not a performance enhancing drug. I would think (unless there is something more sinister to it) that they probably treated him with something at the time after Cheltenham when it was assumed he was not going to Punchestown and it was still in his system when they turned up to the track after their change of heart.

No excuse though and the race should be stripped from him.

As for "Paul Nicholas wouldn’t do it"….I am sure plenty said the same about Nicky Henderson before the recent news. Whats more plenty of trainers (including Willie Mullins) have had horses lose their races due to traces of banned sustances found in their system.

Trainer deserves plenty of criticism but I would imagine it was a harmless enough mistake (although plenty serious) and it should not take away from the horse’s success as predictably some are already questioning without knowing the substance or the details.

AndyRAC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 506

There is a reason some substances are banned – using examples from other sports, they can be used to ‘mask’ performance enhancing drugs. Not saying that this has happened, but there are genuine reasons for these things.

colin maher
    • Total Posts 1

this is a hard luck case,the truth will come out in the inqury,this horse is a superstar,will prove so again,had blood tests after other 3 wins and all were clear,how can people say he was doped????

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

this is a hard luck case,the truth will come out in the inqury,this horse is a superstar,will prove so again,had blood tests after other 3 wins and all were clear,how can people say he was doped????

Rules are rules obviously, but I agree that Dunguib is the best bumper performer I’ve seen. His victory at Cheltenham when "clean" was stunning.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.