The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Double-Stakes-About

Home Forums Horse Racing Double-Stakes-About

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Has anyone ever come across this before and how does it actually work and is it legal and accepted in a bookies

Double-Stakes-About

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Looks like a long con from the creator of this betting vehicle.

I like this bit;

"Please give the D-S-A wager a long and fair trial. It’s the sole reason I’ve made the horses pay for the past five decades." :cheesy:

<br>PS  Just noticed when you click though to the site you are presented with a site remarkably like a number of other get-rich-quick sites being promoted with lots of spam.

Footbal Cash Generator, Above All Odds etc…

Here’s to your success, and to hearing soon about the thousands that you’ll earn using the system I share with you,

John Timmons

P. S.Did I mention that this price won’t last long – there’s a limited number of systems I’m selling at this price. I’m only selling it at this low price for a short period of time. <br>:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

(Edited by Wallace at 10:53 pm on Feb. 6, 2007)

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

I used to see a lot of these (especially in the North-West) in my previous life as a settler.

It’s not illegal, will be accepted and holds no particular advantage.

It consists of two bets on two selections, with returns from the first winning selection invested at double the original stake on the second selection.

The author in your article goes heavily on the fact that you gain an extra stake on two winners, but fails to point out that you lose that ‘extra’ advantage with just one winner.

So a 1.00 DSA can be defined as a 1pt win A (any to come, then 2pts on B) and a 1pt win B (any to come 2pts win on A).  Thus, one 3-1 winner returns a total of just 2.00 rather than 4.00 with two singles.

The idea that you are betting ‘after the result is known’ is a trick of the light really, as you the contingent nature of the bet means it cannot be changed halfway through.  All you are doing is changing the stake itself.

In the same way, it is perfectly feasible to have a treble- or quadruple-stakes-about bet.

Mike

PurwellPurwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

The point is the bet still has to be struck before the first race any way! So where’s the advantage?

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

Up and down. If that leaves you any the wiser!

I like it if I fancy 2 horses a lot but have limited funds and want a return, while wanting to maximise them if the both win.

But I don’t find it practical now, as my betting is more seriously purposeful.

Nothing to do with large stakes, though, at least in terms of what most of the blokes on here consider large (even small!).<br>

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

One of the very first bets I placed when I came to London was a slightly complex Double Stakes About bet where all the parts revolved around an old favourite, Guiburn’s Nephew. It was only modestly successful, but when I came to collect, the settler laid into me to such a degree that I thought he was going to have me arrested for fraud! He simply couldn’t get his head round the notion that such a bet wasn’t somehow cheating.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

There was some advantage to this type of bet back in the days of betting tax.

You only paid tax on the original stake and not the ‘any to come’ parts of the bet. The same advantage applied to doubles, trebles etc.

The Customs and Excise were well aware of this and refused to allow tote bets to be tax-exempt to balance things out(as far as I can remember).

All now consigned to the dustbin of history, I hope.<br>

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

I think it used to be called a "vee-vee" in this neck of the woods. My dad used to place this bet regularly.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

a variation which settlers invariably find a joy is the Dundee Shuffle:  4 selections combined in 4 full stake Singles Any to Come a half stake Trixie on the other three, 6 half stake Doubles Any to Come a full stake Double on the other two, 4 half stake Trebles and each way half stake Accumulator.

bookies are also always delighted to accept SP bets, even more so if you look to back every horse in the race, so try this on them:  

choose a race.  stake 1pt on each first SP fav in the race; if lose, 2pts on each 2nd SP fav in the race; if lose, 4pts each 3rd SP fav in the race, etc, down to whatever on the total SP outsider in the race: but STOP AT A WINNER.

best regards

wit

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Did you get run out of town wit .. ??<br>:biggrin:

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

a variation which settlers invariably find a joy is the Dundee Shuffle

Is that the Scottish version of "The New York Shuffle" a la Graham Parker and The Rumour?

Mike

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

dj,

yes – but i’ve got this new shop in romford high street in my sights …….

<br>mike,

i’d guess its a manouevre where halving your costs brings you twice the results:

http://www.dundee.vitalfootball.co.uk/a … sp?a=50856

best regards

wit  <br>

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Wit<br>

i’d guess its a manouevre where halving your costs brings you twice the results

Likewise, is that as in "Manouvres" a la Graham Parker and The Rumour? (Saw ’em in ’82, never got over it).

Mike<br>

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Quote: from wit on 9:53 pm on Feb. 7, 2007[br]<br>choose a race.  stake 1pt on each first SP fav in the race; if lose, 2pts on each 2nd SP fav in the race; if lose, 4pts each 3rd SP fav in the race, etc, down to whatever on the total SP outsider in the race: but STOP AT A WINNER.

Wit,

I hope you’re not the bloke who used to try to do this bet in the Ladbrokes shop I used to work in off the Edgware Road; he never got on (you can’t have separate SAW selections in the same race) but I used to spend about 15 minutes explaining why not most weeks. Thank God he didn’t come in daily!

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

hi rory

Quote: from rory on 5:14 pm on Feb. 8, 2007[br; ……he never got on

….not while you were on duty, anyway ;)      

does anyone still train settlers these days?   i heard even hills have given up the classes….

<br>did you ever accept bets on the hare in dog races ?

" Yes sir – I know it won; you know it won; but the silly judge has gone and called the 4 dog – what can I do ?"

best regards

wit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.