The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Disposing of household oil…

Home Forums Lounge Disposing of household oil…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Because it IS pollution…

I’ve recently become quite conscious about how/where I get rid of the oily stuff…

E.g. Chip oil (if you fry) and the sort of oil sun-dried tomatoes and stuff like that are kept in. I feel it’s quite lazy to just pour it down the toilet or the sink like I used to, and would like to play my part and all that.

Does anyone store it and then get it recycled? I understand a small fee is given in exchange for the oil?…I think I’ve hit the age where I’ve started to care…

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

vegetable oils are compostable. so long as its not huge volumes poured in one place, why not return them to the earth ?

animal fats: mix in a few seeds and cut/scoop into portions for the birds in your back garden – certainly the peacocks should enjoy them as part of a balanced diet and appropriate exercise regime

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

Council tips will accept cooking oil as well as engine oil. 2 litre plastic cola/water bottles are ideal for storage, when the oil has cooled of course.

Oil should never be poured down the sink as it emulsifies into sticky lumps and causes blockages in the sewerage system. A time consuming, expensive and growing problem for the water companies to deal with.

Wit’s ideas are spot on.

DIY fatballs for our avian friends are much cheaper than shop bought. The peacocks (aka house sparrows) in my garden love them, as does Ratty.

Incidentally if you can manage to do without the delicate fragrance of a virgin wafting around your olfactories, then used olive oil is quite adequate for a ‘greasy spoon’ fry-up once it has been stored awhile in the aforementioned bottles allowing time for solids to sink to the bottom.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I sling it all in the bin, it blocks the drain if you don’t.

Alternatively you could put it on bread for the kids, if they aren’t porked up on McDonalds they will love it and burn it off before tea-time .. hurrah !!

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Peacocks are Sparrows?…that’s a relief! I was starting to think I’d revealed where I

really

lived :D

Good tips, and I never knew vegetable oil could be used as compost.

I’ll leave the other gooey stuff out for the Elephants.

Cheers :D

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

poxy internet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.