The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Discipline/Record Keeping etc

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Discipline/Record Keeping etc

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Lewey
    • Total Posts 140

I have just been going through my betting records for the current calender year. After a good start the wheels have come off over the last few month, although I am still up for the year if I carry on like this I won’t be for much longer. (Had a good Cheltenham)

Looking back over my records for many years. I have an appalling records backing horses Each Way at odds of greater then 8-1+ So think I should stop this. In fact I think I will knock Each Way betting on the head.

The other striking fact is that I am a genius regarding National Hunt racing and totally inept with the flat. So going to stop betting on the flat.

My records also show that I should stick to betting 3-1 – 8-1 as this is where I can make good profit.

Now I just need to keep the discipline and wait for the autumn months.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3140

Are you sure you’re going off a big enough sample? Is there any guarantee what’s occurred in the first 6 months of this year will continue? What’s happened in the previous 10 years?

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

Discipline is arguably the hardest thing about betting. If you are used to all year round betting you might find it difficult to ignore the flat in the summer months.

Lewey
    • Total Posts 140

Well my records go back about 5 years, and I do much better with the NH. 4/5 profitable. Compared to 1/5 on the flat.

I think Ian has hot the nail on the head though, I might miss the action over the summer.

I guess there is summer jumps to look at though.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

You’ll find you do better with racing that you love watching. It makes the work so much easier. I found this to my cost in May and June where I tried to follow low-class flat stuff grinding it out but lost my bollix- rule of thumb, it has to be fun!
    Another thing I’ve resolved to do from next year is to take a complete break after the end of the jumps for at least 3 weeks- staleness is deadly.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

You should try and get all of your records stored electronically, there is much less scope for error if you do that.

You also might want to consider not betting with the bookmakers, the situation with official SPs is scandalous and I would defy anyone to try an make a long term profit against them.

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

You should try and get all of your records stored electronically, there is much less scope for error if you do that.

You also might want to consider not betting with the bookmakers, the situation with official SPs is scandalous and I would defy anyone to try an make a long term profit against them.

You don’t have to take SP’s when you bet with bookmakers though. Infact some bookmakers now give guaranteed best price Paddy Power and Bet 365 come to mind. They will only allow certain stakes at certain prices admittedly.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

If you’re interested I have a spreadsheet in Excel that I could send you that as long as you put the correct details ie. stakes, returns then it’ll calculate the rest of it for you including sorting by sport etc.

Lewey
    • Total Posts 140

I have just put the last 5 years into an excel format. Well worth doing IMO.

I don’t pretend to be a big fish I tend to make a couple of grand a year from betting which I am more then happy with. I think carvillshill is right, you need to enjoy it and stay fresh. So going to keep looking at the odd summer jumps card and wait for the autumn.

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

If you’re interested I have a spreadsheet in Excel that I could send you that as long as you put the correct details ie. stakes, returns then it’ll calculate the rest of it for you including sorting by sport etc.

Would you be so kind as to send it to me also. Would be much appreciated.

Lewey
    • Total Posts 140

I would be very grateful if you could let me have a copy of your spreadsheet Irish Stamp.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

PM me your e-mail address and I’ll forward it on to you Lewey

Swain
    • Total Posts 33

Would you be able to send it on to me too?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.