The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derek McGovern – Tosser

Home Forums Horse Racing Derek McGovern – Tosser

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m not falling for all this Sea The Stars hype just because he’s won the Arc.

The Arc is one of those races that defines the Flat season but nobody remembers the winner.

Who won it last year? I have no idea but as it won I’m guessing I didn’t back it.

The exception of course is Dancing Brave, winner in 1986 of the greatest Arc of all – if you exclude Noah’s.

Sea The Stars is an annoying horse for two reasons – the first ‘a’ should clearly be an ‘e’, and he keeps beating horses I back.

What’s more, he will now almost certainly be retired, which is why Flat racing will never appeal to the masses.

You don’t see footballers hitting their peak and then immediately retiring to stud – apart from Lee Sharpe any way. The fact is that the John Oxx-trained Sea The Stars beat perennial runner-up Youmzain by just two lengths.

Last year’s winner Zarkava also had Youmzain by two lengths and in 2007 the ordinary Dylan Thomas had a head to spare on him despite penning a sonnet at the two-furlong marker.

When horsey folk come down from planet turf they’ll see the English will never get worked up over a horse trained in Ireland unless it’s called Arkle.

Don’t get me wrong, having Oxx on your side is never a bad thing, particularly in Scrabble. But if the trainer wants Sea The Stars to win a place in our hearts the best thing he can do is arrange to have him kidnapped.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Attention seeking scousers, eh ! :shock:

I’m sure not all of his fellow fellow Liverpudlians have such a giant chip on their shoulder. :wink:

Mr McGovern should stick to giving out naff football predictions.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

How soon we forget.

This man gave us the ‘betting on obscure East European early kick-offs after the result is known’ system.

That alone surely places him up there with the likes of Edward Thorpe, Dr Ziemba and Alan Woods in the anals of visionary gambling geniuses.

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

I’m not falling for all this Sea The Stars hype just because he’s won the Arc.

Along with the 2000 guineas, Derby, Eclipse, International, Irish Champion…

The Arc is one of those races that defines the Flat season but nobody remembers the winner.

Uh, you’ve mentioned four in this article alone…

Who won it last year? I have no idea but as it won I’m guessing I didn’t back it.

Yet you tell us Zarkava won the race a little further down…

The exception of course is Dancing Brave, winner in 1986 of the greatest Arc of all – if you exclude Noah’s.

Pot. Kettle. Black (see below)…

Sea The Stars is an annoying horse for two reasons – the first ‘a’ should clearly be an ‘e’, and he keeps beating horses I back.

1. Unique name for a unique horse
    2. You kept backing against STS. Don’t give up the day job.
    3. Noah’s Ark is spelt with a ‘k’, not a ‘c’…

What’s more, he will now almost certainly be retired, which is why Flat racing will never appeal to the masses.

He’s good looking and worth £100 million. What would you do? Keep working…

You don’t see footballers hitting their peak and then immediately retiring to stud – apart from Lee Sharpe any way. The fact is that the John Oxx-trained Sea The Stars beat perennial runner-up Youmzain by just two lengths.

You don’t see Sea The Stars diving to get another horse DQd and rolling around on the floor like he’s been shot. Unless he’s playing at home…

Last year’s winner Zarkava also had Youmzain by two lengths and in 2007 the ordinary Dylan Thomas had a head to spare on him despite penning a sonnet at the two-furlong marker.

Ordinary? If you can call a six-time group one winner, with victories in the Irish Derby, King George, two Irish Champions and, of course, the Arc ordinary then you need to be educated on this spo…wait, you haven’t backed an Arc winner in 23 years. It’s all making sense now…

When horsey folk come down from planet turf they’ll see the English will never get worked up over a horse trained in Ireland unless it’s called Arkle.

Interesting that so many spent their hard earned money to see him win in France…Probably got a few quid back on him, too. Unlike you. Jealous

???

Don’t get me wrong, having Oxx on your side is never a bad thing, particularly in Scrabble. But if the trainer wants Sea The Stars to win a place in our hearts the best thing he can do is arrange to have him kidnapped.

One word. MUPPET!

I’ve responded to Derek in

BOLD

text.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I thought it was quite an amusing piece -typical McGovern. He knows what to write to provoke a reaction; I guess he succeeded.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Nevermind, MR WILSON :mrgreen:

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Isn’t Derek McGovern that chippy scouser who tips the outsider in any given football match and then makes up some wishy-washy case to fit?

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

What a dickhead.

weejoe81
    • Total Posts 45

I think everyone needs to lighten up and enjoy his jokes for what they are, JOKES!

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

‘Chippy scouser.’
    ‘Chip on the shoulder.’

Interesting that whenever there’s criticism of Willie Carson, Jim McGrath, John Francome, Derek Thompson, Clare Balding et al there’s no comment on their place of origin.

AOB, Jim Bolger, Stoute, PF Nicholls get criticised on here from time to tome – and very rarely (if at all) their regional backgrounds are highlighted.

Derek McGovern, in my opinion a pain in the a**e, writes a daft column which was obviously intended as a light-hearted provocative piece (as acknowledged by a couple of posters on here)and the ever-so-accurate stereotypes of Liverpudlians resurface.

Funny that.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Calm down, calm down ! :P :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

Ho-ho.. do you do Asian jokes?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’ve emailed the mirror askin for the article to be removed.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2183

That would be fine Reason if he didnt remind us every five minutes that he is …from Liverpool

and dont we know it…over and over again

Nichols doesnt go on about where hes from (wherever that is) and bolger…well not sure what hes about sometimes

McGovern is a prat. Sometimes journos simply write that way and its all abit tongue in cheek. See them on the box or wherever and you see that…

Mcgovern on the box (a while ago on some programme) was very cocky, unfunny and generally tiresome

You would never tire of hitting i sometimes think

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.